World Boxing Council News
October 2, 2006 - Mexico City. From WBC President Jose Sulaiman: The daily general assembly meetings at the World Boxing Council's 44th annual convention will deal, as usual, with ratings and mandatory world title defenses, as well as current controversies. But of special importance, they will also include the appointment of a world planning committee to review our goals and objectives and make any necessary changes in accordance with what we need to do to benefit the sport of boxing and boxers going into this 21st century.
Article posted on 02.10.2006
Matters of benevolence and welfare will be the key of the convention, and include new plans for pensions, hospital treatment, and drug rehabilitation programs for former boxers, as well as a review of a new program in which world champions visit sick children in hospitals.
The WBC has not been, and will not be only a sanctioning body, but one in which boxing commisioners of the world devote special efforts for the welfare of the sport and its athletes.
Every day, the number of reservations for the convention is growing rapidly, with more than 400 already received and more coming in every day.
The Board of Governors and Executive Committee have been invited by the lady mayor of Dubrovnik to a brunch at a magnificant palace in that city.
All of the champions of the world living in the different countries of Europe are being invited for a special homage by the WBC to all of them during the opening ceremony and the opening banquet.
Bernard Hopkins will receive the appointment of Champion Emeritus and WBC Goodwill Ambassador to the World.
Mate Parlov, a native of Croatia , and Marvin Camel, who fought to a 15-round draw in the first cruiserweight world title fight ever held on December 8, 1979, will receive a special tribute remembering their great fight. The fight was held in the city of Split , which was in the country of Yugoslavia at the time, but today is in Croatia .
Mike Tyson has been invited so that we can extend to him a special tribute as one of the greatest heayvweight champions in history, regardless of what others might say.
WORLD BOXING COUNCIL 44TH ANNUAL WORLD CONVENTION
October 29 â November 4, 2006
Hotel Croatia Debrovnik-Cavtat , Croatia
CONVENTION SCHEDULE AND AGENDA
October 27 Friday:
Arrival of members of the Ratings Committee
October 28, Saturday:
All Day: Ratings Committee meeting
Arrival of members of the Female Championships Committee
October 29, Sunday:
Arrival of convention attendees
All day: Ratings Committee meeting
Female Championship meeting
Check-in at hotel and registration
Convention registration desk WBC inscription and presentation of conventions material to registered attendants
Registration fee: $120 per person - $150 per couple
20:30 Welcome cocktail to all attendants, offered by the Croatian Professional Boxing Federation
October 30, Monday: OFFICIAL OPENING OF THE CONVENTION
At 09:30 All seated (formal attire)
Opening of the 44th WBC Annual Convention
1. Introduction of government authorities
2. Welcoming words by the President of the Croatian Professional Boxing Federation
3. WBC History Video
4. Introduction of guests of honor, by the Secretary General.
5. Introduction of world champions residing in Europe , to whom a tribute will be extended by the Executive Secretary
6. Introduction of world champions, by the Secretary General
7. Introduction of the WBC Board of Governors, by the Executive Secretary
8. Opening words by the Mayor of Cavtat and Hospitality Award
9. Welcoming words by the Mayor of Dubrovnik , and Hospitality Award
10. Musical entrance of the flute and drummers, which will play during the flags parade
11. National Anthem of Croatia
12. Parade of flags of the nations of the Presidents of the nine affiliated continental federations, carried by hostesses dressed in the traditional dressing of every nation of the Continental Federation's presidents
Confederation Country - Name of representation
Croatia Croatia - Convention host country
Asian Boxing Council (ABCO) Thailand - Pol. Gen Kovid Bhakdibhumi
African Boxing Union (ABU) Tunisia - Houcine Houichi
Caribbean Boxing Federation (Cabofe) Aruba - Roy Van Putten
CIS & Slovenia Boxing Bureau (CISBB) Russia - Edmund Lipinski
Central American Boxing Federation (Fecarbox) Nicaragua - Wenceslao Mayorga
European Boxing Union (EBU) Spain - Ruben Martinez
North American Boxing Federation USA - Rex Walker
Oriental & Pacific Boxing Federation (OPBF) Australia - Frank Quill
South American Boxing Federation (Fesubox) Argentina - Osvaldo Bisbal
WBC Office of the President Mexico - Jose Sulaiman
WBC Flag WBC - All members
WBC World Championship Belt WBC - All world champions
13. Song We Are the World, the WBC adopted theme, by a children's choir
14. Introduction of His Honor (the highest government authority and official declaration of the opening of the WBC 44th Annual World Convention and presentation of award)
15. Speech by Mr. Sonstone Y. Kashiba, Secretary General of the Supreme Council for Sport in Africa
16. Sounding of the 10-bell count in posthumous homage to our deceased WBC members
17. Presentation of awards to other government authorities
18. Special elections
19. Report by WBC President Jose Sulaiman
20. Lifetime Achievement Award
21. Award to the Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport and Tourism, as the Sport Institution of the Year in the World, represented by Mr. Alexander Bleer and Evgeny Kalmykov
22. Special award to Mate Parlov and Marvin Camel
23. Folkloric show
24. Introduction of WBC Committee Chairmen and commissioners by the Secretary General
24. Self introduction by all attendees.
25. Other Honor Awards, including a Special Award of Gratitude to Mr. Harry Gorian
26. Final recommendations of ratings in writing by the promoters to the Ratings Committee
27. Announcement of workshops and confederation meetings
Close of morning session
End of opening session
Lunch: Special lunch after opening ceremony for Board of Governors members and guests, with Mayor of Dubrovnik in a castle in Dubrovnik
16:00 Official opening of the Ring Officials Seminar at the main convention meetings room
Medical meeting Medical Safety Review - Medical World Congress II January 24-28, 2006, Cancun , Mexico
Ratings Committee meeting with interested promoters, managers and attendees, etc.
Legal, Rules and Regulations Committee meetings Review and amendment recommendations.
Financial Committee meeting Budget 2007
Final Female Championships meeting
21:00: Welcome Gala Dinner offered by the Croatian organizing committee and folkloric show
Crowning of Miss WBC 2007
Video of the Night of Champions held in January of this year in Cancun , Mexico .
Presentation of awards to attending world champions.
Presentation of other Awards
October 31, Tuesday:
09:00-14:00 Opening meeting Roll call
Ratification of approval of the minutes of 2005 convention, previously ratified by e-mail.
Top items of agenda matters
14:00 15:00 Lunch
15:00 18:00 Ring Officials Seminar at main convention room
Cabofe Fecarbox - Fesubox - Latin Summit and planning of Latin Confederations convention in 2007.
November 1, Wednesday:
Tours scheduled for ladies and companions according to the organizing committee.
Morning Visit cemetery in honor of Independence heroes
WBC World Boxing Cares visit to handicapped children institution
09:00-14:00 Meeting Roll call
Ratings with projection on screen
Mandatory title defenses and elimination bouts
Other items of the agenda, as described in the Agenda Matters
14:00 15:00 Lunch
15:00 18:00 Meeting - Other items of the agenda
21:00 Dinner and show
November 2, Thursday:
09:00 14:00 Meeting Roll call
Other items of the agenda
21:00 WBC Closing Gala Awards Dinner, with special show, offered by the World Boxing Council
November 3, Friday:
09:00 13:00 Meeting Roll call
Final items of the agenda
13:00 OFFICIAL CLOSING OF THE 44TH ANNUAL WORLD CONVENTION
Late afternoon: Boxing and Muaythai show in Dubrovnik , where a Queen of the Ring shall be elected
November 4, Saturday:
European Boxing Union Congress
Farewell of Delegates
November 5, Sunday:
Farewell of the delegates that could not leave the day before, as well as of the European delegates after their congress
Adios - Dosvidania - Sayonara Good Bye Au Revoir Adeus An Nyong Hi Ga Ship Shi Yo - Auf Wiedersehen Ala Maak Adieu Addio Lebe Wohl
See you all at the 45th Annual World Convention to be held in Manila , Philippines , in 2007
previous article: LaFarrell Bunting Q & A: LaFarrell To Face Hanshaw On October 6th on Showtime
next article: Shannon Briggs vs. Sergei Lyakovich: Look for Sergei To Win By Easy Knockout