Boxing


Kessler vs Beyer is on for Copenhagen Oct 14!

By Per Ake Persson: July 11, Copenhagen, Denmark: WBC supermiddle champ Markus Beyer, 34-2-1, and the WBA counterpart Mikkel Kessler, 37-0, signed contracts today for a unification bout October 14 at the Parken Stadion in Copenhagen. Both Sauerland Event´s CEO Chris Meyer and Team Palle´s matchmaker Mogens Palle acknowledged that negotiations to make the fight had been long and hard..

As for the money involved Beyer admitted he was getting his career highest purse while Kessler declined to discuss the finances involved. Beyer also stated he had wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe more than Kessler. "We had it agreed in principle for a September date" said Beyer, "but then Markus´ cut needed more time to heal but Calzaghe´s promoter Frank Warren was unable to postpone it."

The winner of Beyer vs Kessler will first have to face WBC´s mandatory challenger Librado Andrade and then WBA´s Anthony Mundine. To get Andrade to step aside was, according to Chris Meyer, very difficult. Both Andrade and Mundine are expected to be ringside for the event. "There might even be a free chair for Joe Calzaghe" said Meyer with a smile.

A TV-deal is, according to both parties ,still to be worked out. ARD have the rights to Beyer´s fights but only in Germany.

Undercard attractions are still to be announced.

Beyer said he would sit down in the coming days with his trainer Ulli Wegner and study tapes of Kessler. "It won´t be easy but how difficult it will be I can´t say" said Beyer.

Kessler´s trainer Ricard Olsen felt that Beyer´s southpaw style would be a problem. "But Mikkel has a big advantage in height and reach and should thus be able to get his left hand working but I assume he will have to use his right a little more than he have in the past."

"That´s fine with me" said Kessler with a big smile.

"Beyer is not to be underestimated" stated Mogens Palle. "He´s been boxing since he was eight years old, have had a number of big titlefights, is very experienced, have a good punch in his left and is very tactical."

Palle made it clear several times that this will be THE biggest event ever staged in Denmark, even bigger than for instance Carlos Monzon vs Tom Bogs for the World middleweight title back in 72.

Article posted on 11.07.2006



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Pacquiao - Morales: Could This Be The End of The Line For El Terrible?

next article: Carlos Hernandez "El Famoso" to Return This Friday










If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact