Seth Mitchell and Bernard Hopkins deliver impressive performances; Gonzalez vs. Caro on May 19th; Pintor-Cano on 5/18
Los Angeles, CA (April 30) - Though they left Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City Saturday night with different results, both future Hall of Famer Bernard Hopkins and heavyweight contender Seth Mitchell made statements that their careers are going strong and continuing after delivering compelling performances to a packed house in New Jersey and to homes across the country on HBO World Championship Boxing®.
Article posted on 01.05.2012
In the main event, "The Executioner" may have come up on the short end of a 12-round majority decision to Chad Dawson, but without question, Hopkins' performance in the closely-contested bout showed that even at 47, there is plenty of fight left in the fighting pride of Philadelphia.
Dawson praised Hopkins at the post-fight press conference for his skill and guile in the ring and exclaimed, "He can still beat anyone else in our division."
While the longtime middleweight king made history for becoming the oldest man to ever a win a major boxing title when he defeated Jean Pascal in 2011, now Hopkins has his sights on besting his own record by winning yet another title later in 2012.
"I fought hard Saturday night and feel the fight was closer than two of the scores reflected," said Hopkins. "Regardless of the result, I will continue my career and challenge any champion in my division. I might be older, but I don't feel a decline in my skills or abilities in the ring. I love to fight and am still competing at a level where boxing cannot deny me the opportunity to succeed."
Kicking off the HBO World Championship Boxing telecast in style was unbeaten Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell, who may have singlehandedly renewed boxing fans' faith in the heavyweight division with his thrilling third round technical knockout win over of Chazz Witherspoon.
Showing off a warrior's heart and huge chin in the first round when he survived Witherspoon's initial attack despite being momentarily dazed, the 29-year old Mitchell kept his composure and rallied in the second round with a punishing body attack. That tactic eventually opened Witherspoon up for a massive left hook to the jaw in the third round that sent him to the canvas. Mitchell then finished the job with a series of powerful shots that forced referee Randy Neumann to stop the bout at the 2:31 mark, giving Mitchell the official title of NABO heavyweight champion and the unofficial crown of America's next great heavyweight. Expect the soft-spoken but heavy-handed Mitchell to wear both titles proudly on his quest to win the heavyweight world championship.
"Every experience I have in the ring allows me to improve my learning curve in the sport as I continue to climb the heavyweight division," said Mitchell. "I know I have the heart, which the fans saw Saturday night. I am very proud of my victory over Chazz and look forward to my next challenge. There is only one dream for me and that is to be the bona fide heavyweight champion of the world."
Box Latino Presents Gonzalez-Caro on May 19th on Televisa
With three hugely successful boxing events under their belt so far in 2012, Erik "Terrible" Morales' promotional outfit Box Latino is gearing up to go outside of Baja California and present a mega card on Saturday, May 19th, in Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico where hometown favorite and WBC USNBC super bantamweight champion Oscar "Fantasma" Gonzalez (27-1, 24KOs) looks to defend his newly acquired versus elite level challenger Giovanni "Ruso" Caro (23-10-4, 18KOs) of Mexico City, Mexico, in a scheduled twelve round bout. Televisa, as part of their weekly "Sabados de Corona" boxing series, will broadcast the contest live in Mexico.
The Gonzalez-Caro firework-filled match up pits a young hungry lion versus a seasoned veteran looking for another world title opportunity. Gonzalez has not performed in his hometown since late '09 when he defeated Hugo Morales to capture the World Boxing Council (WBC) Youth super bantamweight title. Caro, who makes his home in nearby Guadalajara, Mexico, is sure to have a number of supporters pleading his case the night of the fight.
The #13 WBC ranked Gonzalez is on an international tear since last year including a win in the Televisa broadcast "Reto de Campeones WBC (WBC Champion's Challenge)" reality boxing tournament in which he defeated Thailand's Vacharakrit Senahan and Panama's Roberto "La Araña" Vazquez to reach the final and stop Caril Herrera of Uruguay in seven rounds to crown himself the king of the tourney. Earlier this year, Gonzalez captured the title he will be defending by stopping world traveled Gerardo "Locomotora" Espinoza in five rounds and in a stay busy fight Manuel Aguilar last month in two rounds.
Despite his busy schedule against world-class opposition, Gonzalez will perhaps face his toughest and most experienced rival in Caro. In a seven-year old career, the twenty-eight year old Caro has faced the much tougher opponents in the likes of Victor Terrazas, Olivier Lontchi and Chris Avalos. Caro owns wins over Francisco "Frankie" Leal, Ricardo "Piolo" Castillo and Genaro Camargo. Late last year, Caro challenged IBF 122 pounder Takalani Ndlovu for his title and came up short with a close split decision loss and is coming off a 1st round KO of Julio Cesar Torres in a comeback fight.
Also featured on the fight card will be undefeated NABF junior flyweight champion Pedro "Pedrin" Guevara (17-0-1, 13KOs) of Mazatlan, Mexico, defending his title versus La Paz, Mexico's Raul "Pay" Castañeda (14-2, 8KOs) in a twelve round tilt.
The night will also mark the return of super featherweight Omar "Dinamita" Estrella (15-4-2, 10KOs) of Tijuana, Mexico. In his last bout, Estrella battled former super bantamweight champion Daniel Ponce de Leon for the vacant WBC USNBC 126 lbs. title. Despite a valiant effort in which Estrella sent Ponce de Leon down to the canvas for only the second time in the ex-champion's career, Ponce de Leon's experience was too much as Estrella was stopped in six rounds. Estrella will be facing the always dangerous TBA.
More bouts will be announced as well as the venue for the fight card.
Pintor-Cano on May 18 in Mexico City
Mexico DF, Mexico: All Star Boxing, Inc. will return with their successful series of “Boxeo TELEMUNDO Ford” on Friday, May 18, 2012 to the recently renovated Auditorio Plaza Condesa In Mexico City.
In the main event undefeated 18 year old prospect Mauricio “El Trompas” Pintor of Mexico City, Mexico (17-0-1-11 KO’s) nephew of Mexican Legend Lupe Pintor, will face the toughest test of his young career when he battles fellow compatriot Ivan “Macanon” Cano (21-3-15 KO’s) in a fight schedule for 10 rounds with the vacant WBC Youth Jr. Welterweight World Title at stake.
First bell at 8:00 PM, 6 mores fights round up the card. The main event will be televised live by Telemundo Network at 11:35 PM. Tickets are already on sale at Auditorio Plaza Condesa (Juan Escutia #4, Esq. Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon, Colonia Condesa) and also at ticketmaster.com.mx, prices are: $200 and $100 (MP). The show is being presented by Tuto Zabala’s Jr. All Star Boxing, Inc. in association with Ricardo Maldonado, Jr., Producciones Deportivas and RB Producciones.
previous article: Mayweather-Cotto: A rejuvenated Cotto faces Mayweather on Saturday
next article: Good Weekend For The ‘East Enders’ - Part 1: Johnny Eames on Ben Murphy and Billy Joe Saunders Victories