Will Floyd Mayweather fight Sergio Martinez?

by Robert Jackson: This article may be a little premature, but let’s consider the possibility of Floyd facing Sergio Martinez. Floyd may or may not get to face Pacquiao – the fight everyone wants to see, any time soon for whatever reason. Floyd is moving up to 154lbs to face Miguel Cotto and some experts speculate that Canelo Alvarez will be next when both Floyd and Canelo get past their May 5, 2012 opponents. Floyd taking these fights tell me that he’s going to acclimate himself to the higher 154lb weight class.

Sergio Martinez and his promoter, Lou DiBella have said recently they would face Floyd at a 150lb catchweight and take 20% of the purse leaving Floyd 80%. I’m sure this was a delight to ‘Money’ Mayweather’s ears, but to this gesture Floyd has made no response…yet. For Mayweather whois a shrewd businessman it would be premature and a distraction while in preparation for Miguel Cotto, to comment on any future fight until the one at hand has been taken care of. Also, a 87 day jail sentence awaits Mayweather shortly after the Cotto fight..

Never knowing what Floyd is going to do next is what makes Floyd appealing to both his supporters and detractors.

To Sergio Martinez’ credit he’s establishing himself as a late rounds KO fighter, as two of his last 3 fights have ended in the 11th round, while his opponents have done well against him during the early rounds. This should increase his fan appeal. Unable to get Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in the ring, after his last two fights Martinez has called out Mayweather during the post fight interview. To Martinez discredit he and his promoter have refused to OK any move up to the 168lb division where Andre Ward, Lucien Bute, Carl Froch and former 160lb Champion Kelly Pavlik reside, citing that Martinez is too small. This writer thinks Sergio Martinez vs Arthur Abraham would be a good fight. Unwilling to move up in weight, why would Martinez expect smaller men to accommodate him by moving up?

Personally I think that Floyd is preparing to ultimately face Martinez…for the middleweight crown at a 155lb or 156lb catchweight or maybe at the full 160lb limit…In lieu of facing Manny Pacquiao – a fight that may never happen. Floyd is making all of the moves to slowly prepare himself for the physical demands of the higher weight, expect a fight between Mayweather and Martinez to come to fruition middle to late 2013, if the world doesn’t end on December 21, 2012.

Article posted on 19.03.2012

Bookmark and Share

previous article: Cobbs continues battling long odds

next article: Governor Pacquiao is Next

If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 - Privacy Policy l Contact