Groves pulls out of Anderson fight due to medical reasons
British Super-Middleweight Champion George Groves has been forced to withdraw from his title defence against Kenny Anderson this Friday (16th March) at the Wembley Arena due to medical reasons.
Article posted on 13.03.2012
Groves v Anderson, which was the main event on the show, will be postponed and a new date will be advised in due course.
Promoter Frank Warren said, "Of course, it's bitterly disappointing for us and all the boxers involved, but in sport injuries occur and there is very little anyone can do about it. We had already lost Matthew Hall, who was due to box Sam Webb in a championship eliminator, because of an injury and now with George withdrawing from the main event I have had no option but to postpone the whole card until a later date. Once my team have spoken to Wembley about a new date I hope we can get this fight on very soon."
Intercontinental Titles On The Line In Kiev This Weekend: Kopylenko vs. Tarabarov; Akhundov vs. Vass
Two World Boxing Federation Intercontinental title fights are set for Saturday March 17 at the Fitnessclub Sportlife in Kiev, as undefeated Ukrainians Vitali Kopylenko and Vasyl Tarabarov clash for the vacant Middleweight crown, and Timur Akhundov faces Hungarian Arpad Vass for the vacant Featherweight title.
Switzerland-based Vitali Kopylenko, 16-0 (7), will be in his first championship bout as a professional, and will fight in his country of birth for the first time since his professional debut in 2008. Tarabarov, 22-0-1 (8), on the other hand has several title fights under his belt.
Vasyl Tarabarov was born in Smolensk, Russia in 1981, but later relocated to Ukraine and made his professional debut at nineteen years of age. In 2002 he captured Youth and Intercontinental titles in only his eights paid bout, and the following year he added another regional strap to his collection.
In 2006 Tarabarov won the Ukrainian national title, and while it has only amounted to four fights since then he is now determined to win his fourth championship and rejuvenate his career with a victory over his 28-year-old countryman on March 17.
Timur Akhundov, 12-2-1 (4), will also, just like his opponent, be going for his first professional title in the co-feature. After a rough start to his career where he went 4-2 in his first six outings, he has since gone undefeated in ten bouts, facing tough veterans such as Andrei Kostin, Suat Laze and Mamed Yadgarov.
Arpad Vass, 8-3 (6), from Budapest is a live underdog against Akhundov, and is a dangerous opponent with his considerable punching-power. His tree losses came against Luke Wilton (9-2-1), former European title-challenger Andriy Kudryavtsev (37-9), and former British and Commonwealth champion Stephen Smith (12-1), so he has been in with championship caliber boxers before.
The Kopylenko vs. Tarabarov and Akhundov vs. Vass WBF Intercontinental title double-header will be promoted by Oleg Bruskov, and is shaping up to be an interesting night of boxing in the Ukrainian capital.
COLDWELL BOXING: HOSEA BURTON SPARKLES IN PRO DEBUT
The hammer was thrown and its target was destroyed.
Hosea “The Hammer” Burton’s professional debut for Coldwell Boxing, yesterday in Bolton, proved to be a resounding success.
“I’m pleased. Everything went to plan. I wasn’t looking to impress anyone. I just wanted to go in there and get the win,” Burton told coldwellboxing.com.
With a strong amateur pedigree behind him and training amongst champions, contenders and prospects under the tutelage of Joe Gallagher the hype machine was already in motion prior to the 24-year old’s fight yesterday.
His opponent Viktor Tzonev only lasted two and a half minutes in Burton’s company after being stung by jabs and then taken apart by “The Hammer.” A shot that was already being developed during Burton’s camp and a punch that stable mate Paul Smith discussed with promoter David Coldwell beforehand saying, “Wait till you see see his right hand.”
“I threw a jab that stung him,” said Burton. “His eyes started blinking and after I hit him with a right to the body I knew he was a sucker for the right hand.
In the gym we’d be working on a right hand, jab, jab then another right hand. And when I heard Joe shout “now” I threw it and he went down.”
With the monkey off his back, the likeable Mancunian can now look forward to his second fight next month at the Echo Arena in Liverpool as part of ‘The Big Bang’, a bill headlined by the British light heavyweight title clash between Tony Bellew and Danny McIntosh.
“I can’t wait for that. Even if I hadn’t been fighting I’d be there as a fan,” Burton confessed.
“I’m hoping my next opponent comes to fight me a bit. I stamped my authority on that guy yesterday and if I get the same result in Liverpool then so be it.”
And despite admitting to some expectant pre-fight nerves, Burton was thrilled to not only get in the ring but to also not be wearing a headguard for the first time.
“I could see every shot coming! What a difference it made not having to wear one. It does restrict your head movement a bit.”
Whilst remaining cautious about his charge’s future, promoter David Coldwell was ecstatic about the performance.
“I am absolutely over the moon. He’s a fantastic prospect and he’s in a great camp with a coach who loves the game. He’s training amongst people that will inspire him. I’m excited about being his promoter and excited about his future.”
Highlights from yesterday’s bill will be shown on ‘Ringside’ on Sky Sports 1 HD on Thursday at 6pm, be sure to check “The Hammer” out.
previous article: Kessler fight postponed to May 19, opponent to be announced next week
next article: McDermott-McNickles this Saturday