Boxing


News: Yoan Pablo Hernandez; Andrade vs Rodriguez; Manolis Plaitis

Yoan Pablo Hernandez (26-1, 13 KOs) has set his sights on a quick return after receiving some bad news earlier this week. On Saturday, the 27-year-old defended his IBF Cruiserweight Title with a spectacular points victory over Steve Cunningham. On Monday morning, a routine check of his left hand, which was still swollen, revealed that it was broken. On Tuesday, the Cuban then underwent surgery. “I want to be back as soon as possible,” Hernandez said. “I can still do running exercises. But I have to rest my left hand for seven weeks before slowly returning to full practice.”

Hernandez knocked down Cunningham twice in the fourth round. “That´s when it happened,” he added. “When I walked back into my corner, I felt that something was wrong. But in boxing it is not unusual to feel pain in your hands. And after fights it´s quite normal that the hands hurt. I am happy that I defeated a world-class opponent and gave the fans a great fight. I will be back as soon as possible.”


ESPN’s Friday Night Fights: Studio Show On Site For First Time in 2012
BWAA Names ESPN’s Rodriguez-Wolak Fight of the Year—Live Interview with Rodriguez


For the first time this year, ESPN’s Friday Night Fights’ studio show will originate on site with studio host Bernardo Osuna presenting all the latest boxing news and highlights from the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn. February 10 at 9 p.m. ET live on ESPN2 HD, and ESPN3. Friday’s 10-round main event will feature undefeated Junior Middleweight knockout artist Demetrius Andrade (15-0,10 KOs) meeting Angel Hernandez. The card is presented by Star Boxing.

“I love being in the amazing Friday Night Fight’s studio, but there’s nothing better than watching the fights live and to enjoy the energy of the fans,” Osuna said. “I’m looking forward to taking the show on the road, visiting Mohegan Sun and interacting with the fans on site. The banter with Teddy promises to be better with him by my side instead of thousands of miles away.”

ESPN’s Rodriguez-Wolak Named BWAA Fight of the Year:
Friday’s show on ESPN2 and ESPN3 will include a special segment, a live interview with world-ranked Junior Middleweight and ESPN Deportes boxing analyst Delvin Rodriguez. Rodriguez’s July 2011 fight against Pawel Wolak on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights was recently named the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) Fight of the Year. (See the entire bout by clicking the WatchESPN player.) Afterward, Rodriguez told ESPNFrontRow.com all about it.

ESPN2, ESPN Deportes & ESPN3:
On ESPN2 and ESPN3, Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas will describe the action. On ESPN Deportes’ Viernes de Combates (Friday Night Fights) Pablo Viruega and Delvin Rodriguez will be ringside calling the fights with Leopoldo Gonzalez and Lindsay Casinelli in the studio. ESPN’s Friday Night Fights: Studio Show On Site For First Time in 2012
BWAA Names ESPN’s Rodriguez-Wolak Fight of the Year—Live Interview with Rodriguez

For the first time this year, ESPN’s Friday Night Fights’ studio show will originate on site with studio host Bernardo Osuna presenting all the latest boxing news and highlights from the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn. February 10 at 9 p.m. ET live on ESPN2 HD, and ESPN3. Friday’s 10-round main event will feature undefeated Junior Middleweight knockout artist Demetrius Andrade (15-0,10 KOs) meeting Angel Hernandez. The card is presented by Star Boxing.

“I love being in the amazing Friday Night Fight’s studio, but there’s nothing better than watching the fights live and to enjoy the energy of the fans,” Osuna said. “I’m looking forward to taking the show on the road, visiting Mohegan Sun and interacting with the fans on site. The banter with Teddy promises to be better with him by my side instead of thousands of miles away.”

ESPN’s Rodriguez-Wolak Named BWAA Fight of the Year:
Friday’s show on ESPN2 and ESPN3 will include a special segment, a live interview with world-ranked Junior Middleweight and ESPN Deportes boxing analyst Delvin Rodriguez. Rodriguez’s July 2011 fight against Pawel Wolak on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights was recently named the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA) Fight of the Year. (See the entire bout by clicking the WatchESPN player.) Afterward, Rodriguez told ESPNFrontRow.com all about it.

ESPN2, ESPN Deportes & ESPN3:
On ESPN2 and ESPN3, Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas will describe the action. On ESPN Deportes’ Viernes de Combates (Friday Night Fights) Pablo Viruega and Delvin Rodriguez will be ringside calling the fights with Leopoldo Gonzalez and Lindsay Casinelli in the studio. Rodriguez and Viruega will be joined by Marco Antonio Rubio following his loss last weekend to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Main Event:
Andrade, a 2008 U.S. Olympian from Providence R.I., is coming off a third–round TKO over Saul Duran. Previously, Andrade scored his career-best win when he defeated the 2006 winner of The Contender, Grady Brewer, in a 10-round unanimous decision on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights.

Follow ESPN’s Friday Night Fights on Twitter @ESPNFNF or like on Facebook.


Plaitis seeking to avenge stable-mate's loss to Vargas in Canadian provincial rivalry fight Saturday night in Mississauga

TORONTO (February 8, 2012) - Quebec welterweight Manolis Plaitis is traveling to Ontario for Saturday night's showdown, seeking to avenge his stable-mate's loss last October to welterweight Samuel Vargas, in the continuation of a heated Canadian provincial arch-rivalry series.

Vargas and Plaitis square-off in the 10-round main event for the vacant Canadian Welterweight title, headlining an entertaining card presented by United Promotions in association with Hennessy Sports.

Saturday evening's show kicks-off the third season of boxing at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga for United Promotions, which is collaboration between Ontario-based boxing promoters Don MacDonald, Adam Harris (Hennessy Sports) and Tyler Buxton (Buxton Promotions).

Colombian-native Vargas (8-0-1, 2 KOs) is coming off of the 2011 Canadian Fight of the Year, in which he out-gunned Quebec opponent Ahmad Cheikho, who was unable to answer the bell for the sixth round. Plaitis (17-1-1, 8 KOs) is a former Canadian light welterweight champion on a mission representing his Quebec province.

"Plaitis is going there to do more than avenge Ahmad's loss because of the provincial rivalry," Plaitis' manager Camille Estephan noted. "Plaitis is coming to get a win for Quebec. He is very confident and has done all his homework. Manolis is as ready as he can be for this exciting fight. He is a complete fighter who will follow his game plan, which is the biggest difference between Plaitis and Cheikho."

A Colombian refugee who has found a new home in Mississauga, Vargas prefers to let his fists to his talking, rather than spew smack. "I understand them coming here to win," Samuel said. "I respect that but won't get caught up in talk. I'm going to beat this guy and win the title. This is a great opportunity for me, my fans and Ontario. Considering where I came from and what I've been through - I came to Canada with leather jacket and a suitcase of close unsuitable for winter here - I'm living the Canadian Dream. Everybody's heard of the American Dream but I'm living a dream in Canada. This great country has given me a new home, a job, education....a life. I couldn't be prouder than to be the new Canadian Welterweight Champion."

The six-round co-feature showcases another fan favorite, Ajax middleweight Brandon "Bad Boy" Cook (4-0, 2 KOs), against upset-specialist Chris Aucoin (4-5-1) who 1/1/2 years ago knocked-off former IBO Inter-Continental champion Ian MacKillop (25-11-3). Both of these aggressive fighters come forward and this match-up figures to be an all-out war in the center of the ring.

Undefeated middleweight Michael "The Brazilian Rocky" Oliveira (16-0, 12 KOs), fighting out of Miami by way of Sao Paulo, Brazil, is scheduled to make his Canadian debut in an eight-round bout. Oliveira, rated No. 14 by the World Boxing Council ("WBC"), faces Sergei "Baltic King" Melis (18-7, 7 KOs) in an eight-round bout.

Undefeated Kitchener cruiserweight prospect Denton Daley (4-0, 2 KOs) faces former Mexican National Boxing Team invader Benito "El Asesio" Quiroz (6-1, 6 KOs) in a six-round bout. A Sheridan College graduate with business degree, Daley is a powerful, two-fisted puncher who regularly spars with world cruiserweight contender Troy Ross.

The much-anticipated pro debut of 21-year-old Steve Wilcox, a lightweight from Hamilton, is also on tap in a four-rounder versus TBA. Steve is the oldest of five fighting Wilcox brothers, who are trained by their father at his Steeltown Boxing Club, and the first to turn pro.



Also fighting on the undercard in a pair of six-round bouts are Whitby super middleweight Phil "The Assassin" Rose (3-1-1, 3 KOs) vs. Coteau-du-Lac's cagey Francis Lafreniere (1-2-1, 1 KOs), along with undefeated Toronto prospect Ibrahim "Firearm" Kamal (6-0, 5 KOs) vs. Danish lightweight Tommi Schmidt (6-4, 3 KOs).

Tickets, priced at $30.00 and $50.00, are available at the Hersey Centre Box Office, through Ticketmaster at 855.985.5000, or at ticketmaster.ca.

Go on line at www.UnitedPromotions.ca for more information about the Feb. 11 show.

Article posted on 09.02.2012



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Angel Hernandez replaces ill Derek Ennis vs. Demetrius Andrade

next article: Williams vs. Ishida, Cloud vs. Campillo conference call highlights




Boxing Forum













If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact