Shumenov ready to fight Cleverly in unification bout; Holm preparing for Mathis
LAS VEGAS (November 25, 2011) - World Boxing Association ("WBA") and International Boxing Association ("IBA") light heavyweight World champion Beibut Shumenov is encouraged by media reports and quotes from World Boxing Organization ("WBO") titlist Nathan Cleverly claiming he is agreeable to a unification fight in Las Vegas versus Shumenov.
Article posted on 26.11.2011
Shumenov (12-1, 8 KOs), a 2004 Kazakhstan Olympian, and former European champion Cleverly (23-0, 11 KOs) would match, respectively, a lawyer against a mathematician.
One potential obstacle for any unification bout has been averted because Shumenov is once again promoted by KZ Event Productions, which he owns and operates with his brother, Chingis.
"Both of us are world champions; Cleverly in the WBO and me in the WBA," Shumenov said. "I tried to unify against a WBO champion before but it didn't work out. This fight should happen for boxing fans all over the world and we, as fighters, need to make sure that it does happen. I am sure Cleverly would prefer to fight at home in the UK, as I would love to fight in Kazakhstan, but this fight belongs in the boxing capital of the world, Las Vegas. I'm ready and, if Cleverly is really willing and able, let's make it happen and get a deal done. My goal has always been to unify the light heavyweight world title."
Shumenov's trusted advisor, Hall of Fame promoter Don Chagrin, recently reached out to Cleverly's promoter, Frank Warren, after reading stories that the WBO champion was interested in a unification fight against Beibut. Chargin has since received two calls from Warren's matchmaker, Dean Powell. "They want the fight in Wales or London, Beibut would like to have it in Kazakhstan," Chagrin reported. "I asked if they'd be interested in Las Vegas and he said that was something that could possibly be arranged. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about fighting in Las Vegas."
Shumenov set a light heavyweight record for capturing a world title in the fewest career fights, 10, when (Jan. 29, 2010) he won a 12-round decision against Gabriel Campillo in Las Vegas. In three successful world title defenses, Shumenov won a unanimous 12-round decision versus No. 1 mandatory challenger and previously undefeated Viacheslav Uzelkov (UDEC12), followed by a six-round knockout of three-time world champion William Joppy (KO6), and then his victory last July by ninth-round TKO versus three-time world title challenger Danny Santiago.
In only 13 pro fights, Beibut has defeated four world champions (Campillo, Joppy, Byron Mitchell and Montell Griffin), as well as three world title challengers (Uzelkov, Santiago and Epifanio Mendoza
Cleverly captured the Interim WBO title a year ago, when he won a 12-round decision against Nadjib Mohammedi, after WBO champion Juergen Braehmer was stripped for pulling out of his title defense against Cleverly. Braehmer had done the same thing against Shumenov, only days before their scheduled unification fight last January in Kazakhstan. Cleverly was named the outright WBO champion and he has since successfully defended his title against Aleksy Kuziemski (TKO4) and Tony Bellow (DEC12) this past October.
For more information about Shumenov visit www.KZEventProductions.com.
Holly Holm & Jon Jones sparring
ALBUQUERQUE, NM (November 25, 2011) - Mixed-martial-arts superstar Jon "Bones" Jones has been helping his friend, nine-time world boxing champion Holly "The Preacher's Daughter" Holm (30-1-3, 9 KOs), prepare for her December 2nd "World Dominance" showdown against French knockout artist Anne Sophie Mathis (25-1, 21 KOs), to determine the mythical No. 1 pound-for-pound world champion today in women's boxing.
"World Dominance," presented by Fresquez Productions, will be held Friday night, Dec. 2 at Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Holm-Mathis 10-round bout will be contested for the IBA Welterweight title and WBAN Championship Belt.
Jones, the premier light heavyweight MMA fighter in the world, is trained in Albuquerque by Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn, who is also Holm's chief second for boxing and MMA. She has a 2-0 MMA record with a pair of knockouts. Jones recently sparred with Holly during her open media workout this past Tuesday. "I am champion," he said, "and she (Holly) pushes me; I look-up to her."
Here is a link to the Holm vs. Jones sparring session:
Holm is a three-division champion as a light welterweight, welterweight and light middleweight. The gifted 30-year-old boxer has a 20-0-1 (6 KOs) record in world title fights and sports a 14-0-1 mark against world champions. She has fought and beaten virtually all of the notable names of the past decade in women's boxing, including Christy Martin, Mary Jo Sanders, Mia St. John, Jane Couch, Duda Yankovich and Chevelle Hallback (twice). Holly is riding a 24-fight unbeaten streak, dating back to her only pro loss in 2004, when a serious cut under her eye prevented her from continuing to fight.
Mathis is the reigning the WIBA, WIBF and WBF World Welterweight Champion. She has won 24 consecutive fights, dating back 16 years to her only pro loss in her second fight. Mathis' victims include world champions Myriam Lamare, Couch, Yankovich, Ana Pascal and Nathalie Toro.
For more information about "World Dominance: Holm vs. Mathis" go on line to www.FresquezProductions.com.
IABA UPDATE (INTERMEDIATE CHAMPIONSHIPS QUARTER-FINALS)
IRISH AMATEUR BOXING ASSOCIATION
Michael Nevin edged out Joel Scullion out on a countback in a cracking National Intermediate Championships bantamweight quarter-final at the National Stadium in Dublin tonight.
Both boxers were tied at 13-13 at the final bell, but it was Nevin that got the nod on accepted scores at the end of three pulsating rounds.
Stephen Carroll, Paul Upton, Carl McDonald and Liam Hanrahan also had their hands raised in triumph at the home of Irish boxing.
The Ryston BC trio of Stephen Tracey and Hughie Myres and Paddy Joyce meanwhile, completed a hat-trick of last-eight wins for the Kildare club.
The impressive George Bates also progressed to the semi-finals, along with Christopher Nevin, Anthony Upton and Jason Conroy.
The 2011 Intermediate Championships Championships continue tomorrow with two quarter-final sessions beginning at 2pm and 7pm.
2011 National Intermediate Championships
Friday November 25th
64Kg: Stephen Carroll (Drimnagh) beat Jamie Kennedy (Toome) 16-11
67Kg: Paul Upton (Holy Family GG) beat Petro Ursu (Lucan) 11-7
51Kg: Stephen Treacy (Ryston) beat Gavin McComb (Immaculata) 16-10
51Kg: Hughie Myres (Ryston) beat Myles Casey (OLOL) 15-11
54Kg: Gary McKenna (Smithboro) W/O
54Kg: Michael Nevin (Portlaoise) beat Joel Scullion (All Saints) 13-13 c/b 73-65
54Kg: Carl McDonald (Golden Cobra) beat Patrick Nevin (Sparticus) 10-5
57Kg: Liam Hanrahan (Holy Family) beat Ryan Peake (Ballyhaunis) 24-7
57Kg: George Bates (St Mary's) beat Gerard Matthews (St Pauls) 19-6
57Kg: Paddy Joyce (Ryston) beat William Keane (Riverstown) 23-10
57Kg: Christopher Nevin (Holy Family) beat Alan O'Connor (Palmerstown) RET2
60Kg: Anthony Upton (Holy Family GG) beat Ciaran Keogh (St Saviours) 14-4
60Kg: Jason Conroy (Crumlin) beat Jason Scully (Portlaoise) 13-5
60Kg: Barry O'Hara (Immaculata) W/O
previous article: Joshua Clottey serious about Pacquiao rematch
next article: Weigh-in: Alvarez vs. Cintron, Broner vs. Rodriguez, Wilder vs. Long; Pacquiao will dominate Mayweather