Selcuk Aydin vs. Jo Jo Dan rematch for the WBC Silver welterweight championship set for November 19th in Trabzon, Turkey; Was Alcine vs. Medina really a draw?
On November 19th WBC Silver welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin will defend his title against Canada based Romanian Ionut "Jo Jo Dan" Ion in Trabzon, Turkey. Promoters Ahmet Oner (ARENA) and Chris Ganescu (GANKOR promotions) avoided going to purse bid by signing an agreement the night before the free negotiation period ended.
Article posted on 03.09.2011
In June 2010 Aydin beat Dan for the vacant Silver title by a controversial split decision in a very competitive and close fight. After Aydin scored a flash knockdown in the first, both men went toe to toe for twelve exciting rounds. While the Turkish "Mini-Tyson" dominated the early rounds Dan appeared to become stronger and stronger the longer the fight lasted. In the end two judges had it 114-113 for Aydin while one judge scored it 116-111 for Dan.
"Itís good to hear that the deal is done. This is like an early birthday present", said Aydin who turns 28 this Sunday and is currently in training camp in Stuttgart (Germany). "Although I won the first fight I was not happy with my performance. So this is a chance for me to prove that I can do better and stop him. He is a good and slick fighter and moves well in the ring. But that wonít help him this time. I will do what I have to do. I will knock him out and then go on to fight the big names in the division."
"I am happy and thankful that the WBC ordered this rematch", says Jo Jo Dan. "I am used to fighting on the road. Boxing fans everywhere like me and my style. I will have the best preparation ever and I will leave no doubt coming November 19th. There will be no controversy now! He has my belt and I am coming to his hometown to get it."
The WBC had ordered the rematch to confirm the mandatory challenger for the winner of the WBC world welterweight championship between Floyd Mayweather jr. and Victor Ortiz which will take place on September 17th in Las Vegas.
"Selcuk has been waiting for a very, very long time for his shot at the world title", says promoter Ahmet Oner. "We will watch closely what happens between Mayweather and Ortiz and we hope that the winner is man enough to take on Selcuk after he blows away Jo Jo Dan. Of course, we will not underestimate Dan who fought a very good fight in their first meeting last year. But Iím convinced that Selcuk will leave no doubt that heís the better man in this second fight."
Promoter Chris Ganescu is confident that his fighter will go home as the new champion: "This will be a great fight! The two fighters know each other. Aydin has something to prove to his fans in Turkey and my fighter Jo Jo Dan will have to show that his performance last year was no accident. We might as well not use a boxing ring but fight in a phone booth! Jo Jo Dan will travel to Turkey in confidence. He made fans there last time!"
WAS ALCINE-MEDINA REALLY A DRAW? YOU BE THE JUDGE
New York, NY - (9/2/2011) - Following a 13-month layoff, former WBA junior middleweight champion, Joachim Alcine, returned to the ring taking on Jose Medina in an eight-round bout held at the historic Mechanics Hall in Worcester, Massachusetts, in a special installment of DiBella Entertainment's popular Broadway Boxing series. The show was headlined by hometown favorite super middleweight Edwin Rodriguez.
After dominating his foe for eight rounds, Alcine, 159Ĺ, 32-2-1 (19 KOs), was robbed of a clear victory when the judges unjustly declared the bout a hotly disputed draw. Judge Matthew Regan scored the bout 78-75 in favor of Alcine, while Judge Roland Milton tallied 78-74 for Medina, and Judge Ken Volovick had it a 76-76 draw. This contradicts how expert ringside commentators Steve Farhood and Brian Adams viewed the fight as they both scored the bout in favor of Alcine convincingly winning six rounds to two.DBE
From the opening bell, Medina, of Quincy, Massachusetts, set out pressuring Alcine, but the Canadian picked him off with his jab while establishing a distance to land combinations. When Medina did manage to get in close and fire his shots, Alcine did not back down, blasting his foe in return with harder punches, making for exciting exchanges.
In round four, Alcine landed an overhand right that had Medina out on his feet against the ropes. A stoppage call by referee Michael Marvell certainly would have been warranted. Alcine tried to follow up, but Medina clinched and was able to recover.
As the rounds progressed, whenever Medina, 160, 14-9-3 (6 KOs), applied his pressure, Alcine was able to counter it with his own, often backing Medina into the strands, while pounding him to the body.
"I won that fight," said a perplexed Alcine. "I wasn't at my best because it's been 13 months since I last fought, but I still feel I clearly won the fight. I am ready to get back in the ring as soon as possible and I want big fights."
Greg Leon, Alcine's adviser, said of the verdict: "My fighter got robbed. There's no way he didn't win at least five rounds. We don't want a rematch because we already defeated this opponent. We look forward to moving on to bigger and better things."
Up next for Alcine could be a potential showdown against fellow Canadian David Lemieux.
The Alcine-Medina fight and others from this Broadway Boxing event will air on Sunday, September 4, at 8:00 P.M., on SNY. Tune in and judge for yourself who you feel deserved to win this exciting and controversial fight.
previous article: An Intriguing Match Up: Povetkin vs. Helenius
next article: A Preview of Berto vs. Zaveck