DeGale turns down world title shot in order to fight Groves on 5/21, Agbeko out tournament final with injury - Darchinyan vs. Perez to still go ahead
British Super-Middleweight champion James DeGale has today turned down the opportunity of a straight shot at the world title in favour of his forthcoming fight with Commonwealth Champion George Groves on May 21st.
Article posted on 22.04.2011
The rivalry between the two West Londoners has become so intense that DeGale doesn't even put a World Championship chance above shutting up his bitter rival simply because he is "fed up with hearing his name everywhere he goes".
Promoter Frank Warren said today 'I am promoting the show at the O2 and this particular fight has all the makings of a classic such is the dislike between the pair. However, I am also James's manager and was pleased to receive such a good offer for him to go abroad and fight for a World title in what would be just his eleventh fight. It was also a fight I had every confidence he could have won. Of course I gave him the choice but it was a very short discussion. He said to me that he will win a World Title at some stage in the near future anyway but couldn't face having a World title belt with the irritable Groves still feeding off his name, I want to get rid of Groves once and for all because he is an irritant and an itch I have to scratch. I've signed to fight Groves and fight Groves I will", he said
I don't think in thirty years of boxing a fighter has ever turned down an opportunity to become a World Champion, in a winnable fight, in order to fight the Commonwealth champion and answer all the questions about him beforehand. For that you have to respect him as a fighter and a man."
DeGale said today from his Essex training camp 'I already consider myself as one of the best Super-Middles in the World and at some point the title of World Champion will be mine anyway. It's god to see that Frank is doing the business at his end but I have to take care of business at my end and there is no way that George Groves will be an undefeated fighter on May 22nd and there is no way I will give him an escape route even in favour of a World Title. I can assure George that I will be in the ring on the 21st May and when I get there I fully expect to see him in the other corner. My biggest concern at the moment is with this Easter weekend expected to be unusually hot and with his fair complexion that Adam Booth is rubbing lots of factor 50 on him so he doesn't pull out with sunburn!'
Tickets for the O2 showdown are already selling at an unprecedented rate with this fight being one of many top quality contests already scheduled. Tickets can be purchased by calling the 24hour ticket hotline 0844 856 0202.
Agbeko out tournament final with injury - Darchinyan vs. Perez to still go ahead
LOS ANGELES (April 21, 2011)–An untimely back injury sustained by International Boxing Federation (IBF) Bantamweight World Champion Joseph Agbeko earlier this week has forced him out of Saturday’s scheduled title defense—and the SHOWTIME Bantamweight Tournament Final—against Abner Mares. The co-main event bout featuring former world champions Vic Darchinyan vs. Yonnhy Perez will go on as planned for the vacant IBO Bantamweight Championship this Saturday, April 23, at Nokia Theatre televised live on SHOWTIME at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).
Agbeko and Mares plan to attend Thursday’s Bantamweight Tournament Final press conference to address members of the media—at ESPNZone L.A. LIVE at Noon local time.
The Bantamweight Tournament Final: Winner Takes All is promoted by Don King Productions, Gary Shaw Production, Golden Boy Promotions and Thompson Boxing Promotions and is sponsored by Corona and DeWalt Tools.
previous article: Pac-Man Still Up For Mayweather Fight, says Floyd Is Waiting For Him To Get Old
next article: Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan, Vic Darchinyan, and Chris Arreola are “On the Ropes Boxing Radio” - Listen Now On-Demand!