Tyson Fury Pulls It Out To Gain 9th-Round TKO Win Over John McDermott

by James Slater: Tonight in Brentwood, Essex, UK, unbeaten heavyweight hope Tyson Fury dug deep and managed to pound out a 9th-round TKO over former rival "Big Bad" John McDermott. Meeting in a rematch of their highly controversial September 2009 match, which 22-year-old Fury won on points, the two put on another spirited battle.

Finally, after an exhausting-looking effort, Fury got the stoppage he was looking for in the 9th-round. Decking the 30-year-old, who had once again pushed him to the limit, at one-minute and eight-seconds of the round, Fury actually scored two knockdowns - the second one prompting referee Dave Parris to halt the bout. Fury is now 11-0(9). McDermott is now 25-7(16).

Despite his win - a win which looks good on paper - Fury, who weighed-in at a career heavy 270-pounds, looked sloppy at times, and he also looked to be on the verge of being sold out tonight. Caught by right hands to the head on numerous occasions, Fury's defence looked quite awful in most of the rounds. McDermott pushed the fight throughout, and if he'd been a bigger puncher the result could have been a whole lot different.

Fury jabbed well at times, and his hands looked fast and accurate, but he was too often content to hold both hands by his waist, and also showboat. The action became sloppy by the 5th-round, and there was plenty of holding by both men.

Fury, looking all but done stamina-wise in the 5th, picked up a nasty cut at the side of his right eye in round-six. McDermott, who had taken a flush uppercut to the chin in the 5th, was now looking for the finish, and Fury was at times turning away and appearing to be losing stomach for battle. Trying another massive uppercut to the chin in the 8th, Fury missed wildly. Then, however, at the end of the session, he blasted away with both hands, dropping the older man right at the bell.

Sensing he had a chance to end the tiring affair, Fury piled in at the start of the 9th. A big right hand to the face decked McDermott for a second knockdown, and then another right hand put the 254-pounder down for a third time. Though McDermott just beat the count, Parris had seen enough.

Fury, who latter acknowledged he'd been in a tough fight, really got out of jail tonight. Without his admirable finish, things could have been bad for him. Now looking ahead to a shot at Derek Chisora's British title, Fury will have to work on his fitness, his defence and his stamina if he's to win. It's unclear where McDermott - who genuinely looked to have had the fight in the bag - goes from here.

Article posted on 26.06.2010

Bookmark and Share

previous article: The fans speak about a Pacquiao vs. Cotto rematch at 154

next article: Rodriguez, Maldonado score first round KOs

If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 - Privacy Policy l Contact