Results: Clark out-classes Pires; Cujo Beats Holland

LINCOLN, Rhode Island (May 7, 2010) – Former world title challenger Michael “Cold Blood” Clark pitched a near shutout against New Bedford police officer Jason “School Boy” Pires in tonight’s main event on the “Spring Fever” card, presented by Classic Entertainment and Sports, Inc., at Twin River in Lincoln, Rhode Island. Clark (40-5-1, 18 KOs), fighting out of Columbus (OH) out-punched a game Pires (22-4-1), 1996 U.S. Olympic Team alternate, from the opening bell, flooring him in the eighth round. Clark captured the NABA U.S. junior welterweight title by way of a unanimous 9-round decision (90-80, 90-80, 89-81)..

Two undefeated heavyweight prospects entered the ring in tonight’s co-featureandt South Carolina-invader Winston Thorpe (3-0) spoiled Cape Cod’s Jesse “Bad News” Barboza (3-1) evening via a 4-round split decision.

Hartford middleweight David Bauza (5-0) got off of the mat in the first round and went on to win a 4-round split decision versus Richard “Hurricane” Grant.

Super middleweight Greg McCoy (1-1-1) recorded his first pro victory, upsetting previously undefeated Keith Kozlin (5-1) in a back-and-forth, give-and-take fight by 4-round majority decision.

The pro debut of New Haven super middleweight Rick Dawson, older brother of Chad Dawson, couldn’t have gone any better as he stopped pro-debuting Damion Reed in the second round.

In a battle of unbeaten super middleweights, former U. of Rhode Island football player Vladine Biosse’s (6-0) record remained untarnished thanks to a 4-round unanimous decision against Joe Gardner (4-1-1).

New Haven light welterweight Edwin Soto remained unbeaten, improving his record to 4-0, twice dropping pro debuting Carlos Hernandez en route to a unanimous 4-round decision.

Welterweight Aleksandra Magdziak Lopes improved her record to 2-1 via a win by unanimous 4-round decision.


Scott "CUJO" Sigmon pounded out a hard fought unanimous decision victory over experienced veteran Carlton "HEAD BANGA" Holland in front of a packed house at Jefferson Forest High School in Forest, VA. "He was a wily veteran" said Sigmon. "I was talking to him during the fight and told him that I knew he wanted to quit but he kept coming." Official scores were 99-91, 98-92, 98-92. With the win Sigmon goes to 9-2, with 3KO's. Holland's record falls to 18-13, with 9KO's.

Lynchburg based fighters Maurice "MO-BADD" Chalmers, Joshua "JUICE" Robertson, and Jennifer "J-WOOD" Wood all registered wins in front of the hometown crowd. Chalmers stopped durable veteran Edward "NUCKIE" Anderson in the second round of their contest. The normally durable Anderson had no answers for the sharp southpaw Chalmers who impressed onlookers with his strong knockout performance.

Robertson made his pro debut a memorable one as he landed a big right hand on Canton, Ohio's John Stallings midway through the first round. Stallings was tough, and even though on shaky legs, fought back bravely. Another booming right hand by Robertson did the trick as referee Fred T. Corritone waived off the bout at about the two minute mark of the first round. Robertson gets the win in his pro debut while Stallings' mark now stands at 1-2, 1KO.

Several ringside fans called it, "The most exciting one minute fight they have ever seen!" as "J-WOOD" Jennifer Wood made her pro debut a successful one by stopping Wilson, NC's Shanna Allen at the one minute mark of the first round. When the bell rang, both girls went at it at and hit each other with every punch in the book and perhaps some that haven't even been invented yet. In the midst of the action, Wood snuck in a short right hand that dropped Allen hard for the ten count. Allen was unconscious for about two minutes but thankfully came to her senses in short order. Lynchburg's Jennifer Wood successful in her pro debut goes to 1-0, 1KO while Shanna Allen falls to 0-2.

Roanoke's David "D-HOP" Hopkins lost a four round unanimous decision to Myrtle Beach, SC's Jose Ortiz. Scores were 39-35, 38-37, and 39-35. Hopkins out boxed Ortiz in the first. A right hand by Ortiz cut Hopkins in the second which changed the momentum of the fight Ortiz' way. Ortiz dropped Hopkins in the fourth round with another right, but a game and bloody Hopkins rose to beat the count, fight back hard, and finish the fight on his feet. Hopkins loses for the first time in his career is now 4-1. Ortiz, fighting for the first time in eight years, appears to be well rested and energized after his layoff. Much better than his record would indicate, Ortiz is now a very deceptive 2-5-1.

Article posted on 08.05.2010

Bookmark and Share

previous article: A Fine Messi Ryan Rhodes Put Himself Into…

next article: Amir Khan KO's Visa Woes

If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 - Privacy Policy l Contact