Boxing

News: Micky Ward; Gary McArthur; Chris Howard

CANASTOTA, NY –APRIL 30, 2010 - The International Boxing Hall of Fame announced today “Irish” Micky Ward will attend festivities planned for the 21st Annual Hall of Fame Induction Weekend set for June 10-13th. “Micky Ward was a true warrior inside the ropes,” said Hall of Fame director Edward Brophy. “He is a fan favorite and we’re so excited to welcome him back to Canastota..

Boxing out of Lowell, MA, Ward was one of boxing's most exciting fighters. He turned pro in 1985 and used a crowd-pleasing style to register a 38-13 (27 KOs) record, including wins over Shea Neary, Reggie Green and Emanuel Burton. In 2002 and 2003 Ward engaged in an epic trilogy with Arturo Gatti (1-2). Following their third bout Ward announced his retirement from the ring. During his career, he was in “Fight of the Year” three times (2001 vs. Burton, 2002 and 2003 vs. Gatti). A motion picture (The Fighter) chronicling his life starring Mark Wahlberg recently completed production.

The June 10-13th Hall of Fame Induction Weekend will feature over 20 exciting events including a banquet, parade, golf tournament, cocktail party and the official induction ceremony honoring the Class of 2010. Living inductees to be honored at the Official Induction Ceremony on Sunday, June 13th are light flyweight champion Jung-Koo Chang (South Korea), featherweight champion Danny “Little Red” Lopez (USA), manager Shelly Finkel (USA), referee / commissioner Larry Hazzard (USA), promoter Wilfried Sauerland (Germany), matchmaker Bruce Trampler (USA) and journalist Ed Schuyler (USA). Posthumous inductees will also be honored.

Over 40 boxing stars are scheduled to participate in weekend festivities. In addition to Ward, other stars slated to appear include Ken Norton, Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor, Carmen Basilio, Tony DeMarco, Nino Bevenuti, Angelo Dundee, Lou Duva and many others.

For more information on the Hall of Fame’s 21st Annual Induction Weekend please call (315) 697-7095 or visit www.ibhof.com.


McARTHUR AIMING TO BECOME DOUBLE KING OF SCOTLAND

Former Scottish amateur champion Gary McArthur could be set to join the select band of boxers who’ve matched that achievement as a pro.

McArthur will challenge Glenrothes’ Stuart Green for the Scottish light-welterweight title at Scotstoun Sports Campus on Friday, May 28.

Victory for the self-styled Clydebank Blitz – who won four national championships as an amateur – could help propel him closer to a British title shot.

Promoter Chris Gilmour said: “Gary’s had a bit of a stop-start pro career due to injuries and other long periods of inactivity, but he is now at the stage of his career where he has to push on and step it up a bit if he’s going to reach the next level.

“He undoubtedly has talent, but we can’t keep talking about his potential – he has to step up and deliver on a consistent basis. It would be a real shame if Gary reached the end of his career and we talked about what he could have been, rather than what he actually achieved.

“Gary proved in last year’s Prizefighter tournament that he has everything it takes to operate at the top level and he was unlucky that only cuts stopped him from at least getting to the final.

“He was a multiple Scottish champion as an amateur and lifting the Scottish title as a pro would be a great achievement and could act as a springboard towards a British title shot at either lightweight or light-welterweight.”

Green won the title at the St Andrew’s Sporting Club’s 300th show in March, edging out former Commonwealth Games representative Mitch Prince in a classic ten-round war.

And Gilmour added: “Greeny won’t be a pushover for Gary. He took Mitch’s unbeaten record in his last fight and is proud to be Scottish champion.

“Greeny has come up the hard way and lost out to Lee McAllister and Charlie King in Scottish title fights before winning the belt at the third attempt against Mitch. There’s no way he’s coming along on the 28th to lose his title in his first defence.

“I think this could be one of the best fights Scotland has seen in a while and I’d urge fans to snap up a ticket as soon as possible.”

Tickets are priced at £40 (reserved seating) and £30 (unreserved seating) and are available on 0141 810 5700 and all the boxers on the bill.


Chris "Hurricane" Howard signs with R&R Promotions

Today R&R Promotions of Cincinnati Ohio is proud to announce the addition of a new family member; Crossville Tennessee’s undefeated lightweight Chris “Hurricane” Howard.

Howard boasts a record of 10-0 with 5 KO’s 1 being in the first round. CEO Andrew Williams states “I am excited about Chris, he is a fighter that works hard and is a crowd pleaser and Cincinnati welcomes him with open arms. Look for “Hurricane” on our upcoming show “Fireworks on the Riverfront” Saturday May 29, 2010. Details about this event can be found on our website randrpromotions.net”

R&R Promotions is the top professional boxing promoter in the state of Ohio. This next event will be the 11th event since starting to promote professional fights in May of 2008. R&R Promotions is also credited for hosting the first ever Midwest Olympic trials in 2007 and in 2010 also hosted the USA Boxing Under 19 National Tournament.

Article posted on 03.05.2010



Bookmark and Share


previous article: When the Boxing Dragon Started Spitting fire why didn't Shane Mosley step on his tail??

next article: Maidana Pulls Out Of Bradley Fight










If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact