Boxing

News: Solis-Oquendo Off; Tyrone Brunson; Jorge Teron

Miami-Wednesday, May 6, 2009-Odlanier Solis has backed out of his May 22nd fight against Heavyweight contender "Fast Fres" Oquendo. The fight was scheduled to take place at the world famous Fountain Bleu resort in Miami Beach Florida, "I've been down here training my butt off for this guy and he chickens out" said Oquendo. Im the "Cuban Assassin and he's the "Cuban Coward", "Ill fight him in Cuba if I have to, I just want to fight", Oquendo stated. Ahmet Íner, Solis promoter at Arena Boxing says Solis broke his finger sparring and that the fight will be postponed to a later date..


KO Artist Brunson Signs with Triple-Mac Promotions

Virginia-based Triple-Mac Promotions is proud to announce the signing of powerhouse Philadelphia middleweight Tyrone "Young Gun" Brunson to a promotional agreement.

The sharpshooting Brunson (19-0-1, 19 KOs) set a boxing record with 19 consecutive first-round knockouts to begin his career before fighting to a draw in his last outing.

"Tyrone was beginning to go stale by chasing that record and not facing the kind of opposition he should have been to develop properly," said Triple-Mac President Freddie Mac of his new client. "We believe in Tyrone and we intend to bring him to the top levels of the sport properly. He has the talent and the natural punching power to become a world champion."

24-year-old Brunson surpassed the North American record with his 15th first-round stoppage (vs. David Johnson, March 9, 2007) and tied the world record of 18 set by current WBC Lightweight Champion Edwin Valero of Venezuela - in June of last year against Jamie Waru in Auckland, New Zealand. He then broke the all-time record in 72 seconds against Francis McKechnai on March 29, 2008.

Brunson is the first big signing for Triple-Mac who have established a respected reputation doing shows in the Norfolk area. "We are ready to make a dent in boxing by treating our fighters right and giving our fans the quality of fights they don't mind paying to see. Tyrone will be our first world champion and will clear the way at the top for a long line of Triple-Mac fighters.


STAR SIGNING: TERON TO MAKE STAR BOXING DEBUT ON ESPN2 FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS

On May 15th, Jorge "The Truth" Teron (22-1-1, 15KO's) will be out for revenge when he makes his debut under the Star Boxing banner at Harrah's Resort in Atlantic, City, NJ. Teron will be taking on Aldo "El Pato" Valtierra (25-10, 13KO) in a rematch of their highly entertaining bout back in December 2008. Teron- Valtierra II will be showcased live as the co-feature bout of the evening on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights".

On December 4th Teron, who is now co-promoted by Star Boxing and Hirsch-Borao Promotions, dropped a highly competitive and controversial ten round majority decision to the very dangerous Valtierra. Many ringside observers felt that Teron did more than enough to win a decision, but unfortunately the judges felt different. Rather than take an easy tune-up fight to get back into the win column, Teron, being the fighter he is, has opted to go right at Valtierra again. A win against Valtierra on the nationally televised Friday Night Fights will not only give Teron the revenge he so eagerly desires, but will land him right into the mix in the exciting lightweight division.

"I can't express enough how excited I am to be getting this opportunity to get my revenge against Valtierra," stated a determined Teron. "After the first fight I was sitting in my dressing room begging for a rematch, and now it's only a few days away and I can't wait. I'm not going to make any excuses for the first fight, for whatever reason I just couldn't get off like I wanted, but that being said I still know I won the fight. Anyone you ask who was there says I won the fight. Rather then dwell on the past though I have used that fight as a learning experience and have grown from it. I am hungrier then ever right now I can promise you that you will see the real Jorge Teron on May 15th."

Regarding signing with DeGuardia, Teron couldn't be happier. "I am very happy to be with Joe (Star Boxing) now. He is one of the top promoters in the industry and I know he will be able take me to the next level. I am looking forward to staying very active and representing the Star Boxing banner in tremendous fashion. I can't wait to get into the ring on the 15th and put on an impressive showing for all my fans who have stood by me and supported me throughout my entire career."

"We are very pleased to have Jorge as a major part of the Star Boxing roster," stated Joe DeGuardia, CEO and President of Star Boxing. "Jorge has all the skills and ability to be a complete terror in the lightweight division, and his path to stardom starts on May 15th."

The card is promoted by Joe DeGuardia's Star Boxing, in association with Harrah's Resort. A complete list of the undercard will be announced shortly. Tickets are priced at $90 and $60 and can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 1(800) 745-3000 or going online to ticketmaster.com. Tickets are also available by calling Star Boxing at (718) 823-2000 or by going online to www.starboxing.com.

Article posted on 07.05.2009



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Edison Miranda, Andre Ward Quotes

next article: Ricky Hatton Should Retire










If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact