Boxing

News: Dawson-Tarver II; Demetrius Andrade; Dominic Wade

LAS VEGAS, NEV (March 18, 2009) – The NEW Joint will be jumpin’! Undefeated IBF/IBO light heavyweight champion CHAD DAWSON and three-time world champion ANTONIO TARVER will meet in a rematch of their world title fight, Saturday, May 9, in The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas. The fight will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing, beginning at 10:30 p.m. EDT / 7:30 p.m. PDT..

Promoted by Gary Shaw Productions, LLC and AT Entertainment, Dawson-Tarver II tickets, priced at $250, $175, $150, $75, $50 and $35, can be purchased at www.hardrockhotel.com, www.Ticketmaster.com and all Ticketmaster outlets.

Dawson (27-0, 17 KOs), from New Haven, Conn., began his second reign as a light heavyweight world champion by dethroning the defending champion Tarver in a hard-fought battle in Las Vegas on October 11, 2008. For Dawson, it was a victory that proved he was one of boxing’s elite and a Top-10 pound-for pound fighter. Dawson’s resume proves he’s the man to beat. In fact three of his last five victories have been against defending or former world champions who had a combined record of 105-15-2 (76 KOs), a winning percentage of 86% and a victory by knockout ratio of 72%. Dawson, 26, captured his first world title on February 3, 2007 by dethroning previously undefeated WBC light heavyweight champion Tomasz Adamek. It remains the only loss on the new IBF cruiserweight champion’s resume. Dawson successfully defended his title three times over the next 14 months, the third against former world champion and 2004 Fighter of the Year Glen Johnson before vacating the title to challenge Tarver.

“Winning my first world title was a career highlight, but beating Tarver last year was a personal joy, one I look forward to repeating on May 9, “said Dawson. “I’ve beaten the best in my division. I am the king of the light heavyweights.”

Tarver (27-5, 19 KOs), from Tampa, Fla., is one of his era’s greatest champions. The only man to hang two losses on the legendary Roy Jones, Jr. and the first to ever knock him out, Tarver also boasts victories over world champions Glen Johnson, Montell Griffin and Reggie Johnson. A true renaissance man, Tarver heads up his own promotional company, AT Entertainment, his own charitable foundation, The Antonio Tarver Foundation, a not-for-profit organization established to fund, create and provide opportunities for young people to achieve their dreams, and he co-starred with Sylvester Stallone in the 2006 hit motion picture “Rocky Balboa.”

“Dawson’s a young lion and he had a high work rate during our first fight,” said Tarver. “I missed a few times with my power shot but that’s what it is, it’s a game of inches. But I always learn from my losses, and as Roy Jones, Glen Johnson, and Eric Harding will tell you, I never lose twice to the same man. Dawson will learn that lesson too on May 9.”


ANDRADE LOOKS TO IMPRESS IN BACK TO BACK PERFORMANCES ON ESPN2

Fresh of his first round annihilation of Tom Joseph in his ESPN2 "Friday Night Fights" debut on March 6th, the 2007 amateur world champion and 2008 U.S. Olympian Demetrius "Boo Boo" Andrade (3-0, 3KO) will be back in action on this weeks edition of Friday Night Fights when he takes on fellow unbeaten Arnulfo Javier Romero (2-0) in a four round jr. middleweight contest. The bout will be the opening fight of the ESPN2 broadcast and is scheduled to go on the air at 9:30 PM ET. The bout is promoted by Joe DeGuardia's Star Boxing and Banner Promotions and will take place at the Laredo Entertainment Center in Laredo, TX.

Andrade has been sensational each time out, impressing any and all that have had the chance to witness the young star in the making. ESPN.com's boxing analyst Dan Rafael had this to say about the young phenom's last performance on the Star Boxing promoted show March 6th at the Mohegan Sun Resort and Casino. "Look at Andrade's physical gifts. The former amateur champion has blazing hand speed, terrific size for a junior middleweight and obvious power. A 4-year-old could watch him fight and realize instantly that he has loads of talent." Rafael enthusiastically went on to say "Having barely broken a sweat, Andrade will be back on "Friday Night Fights" on March 20th. Can't wait."

"It is great to get back into the ring this soon after my last fight," stated Andrade. "What makes it even better is that I am going to have another chance to showcase my skills on the national level. I want to thank my promoters for continuing to give me these great opportunities at such an earlier stage in my career" (Andrade's fight on the 20th will mark the third time in his four pro fights he will be seen on national T.V.).

"2009 is going to be a busy year for me. I am very focused and very hungry right now and I'm looking to put on another great showing this Friday. Don't blink or you might miss it!"


PRIZE FIGHT INKS DOMINIC WADE!

Memphis-Wednesday March 17th, 2009-Memphis based Prize Fight Boxing has inked former amateur standout Dominic Wade of Largo, Maryland to a multi-year promotional agreement. After three attempts for his pro debut, Wade finally entered the professional ranks in stunning fashion last weekend at the Fitzgerald Casino in Tunica, Mississippi. Wade?s bout took less than thirty seconds for the middleweight to officially arrive on the scene when he knocked out Chris Davis (3-0, 1 KO) of Atlanta, Georgia.

Just 18 years old, Wade had a decorated amateur background as he was a four-time Junior Olympic Champion and fought his way to the 2007 Olympic Boxing Trials. Wade is trained by Barry Hunter who also shares managerial responsibilities with Paul Wade, who is Dominic?s father. Hunter has earned his training reputation over the past several years as one of the top trainers in the sport for bringing brothers Anthony and Lamont Peterson as well as Fernando Guerrero to boxing prominence.

“I have a winning team; I am confident about my future in boxing and very happy to be a part of the Prize Fight stable.”-Dominic Wade

Plans are in motion for Wade?s second appearance according to Prize Fight?s Russ Young, “Dominic came out and performed very well last week. Obviously, he was an instant hit with the fans. We are very excited about this young man and his ability to establish himself as a force in the middleweight division. The skill set and power Dominic possesses is extremely rare for any fighter and especially one who is only 18 years old. Dominic is in a world class gym with Barry and our plan is to keep him extremely active in the ring”.

Wade is amongst some familiar talent in the Prize Fight stable, as one of his main sparring partners is fellow Maryland native Fernando Guerrero and Olympic team alternate Shawn Porter, both of whom he fought during his amateur career as well as in the 2007 U. S Olympic Trials.

Article posted on 18.03.2009



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Ray Mercer - "It's Gonna Take A Lot Of Power To Get Tim Sylvia Out Of There"

next article: Dunne vs Cordoba Quotes










If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact