The Boxing Scene: Reliant Center Revenge
19.11.03 – By Keith Terceira: The Reliant Center in Houston will host a WBC Continental America Jr. Welterweight Championship featuring Francisco Bojado versus Juan Carlos Rubio (30-6-2). It is surely a revenge match for the loss Bojado suffered to Rubio in February in Uncasville! Juan Carlos hopefully is better prepared for Francisco then he was for, Jose Cruz, a 12-11-2 fighter that took him by surprise and who went the distance with Juan in his last outing. Prior to that bout, Alejandro Jimenez was robbed of a victory when Judges awarded Juan Carlos the split decision. Alejandro's record stands at 11-22-4. Bojado takes the title and gets some payback for his only loss.
Article posted on 19.11.2003
In the main event of the evening Ricardo "Rocky" Juarez battles Hector Velasquez for the WBC Continental Americas Featherweight Title. Rocky is 18-0 with 14 knockouts coming off a first round win over David Murillo (20-5-1) in August. Back in July, Juarez displayed awesome one punch power when he finished off Antonio Diaz in the tenth.
That knockout ranks as my best one punch KO this year.
Velasquez (37-9-1) is coming off a majority win with Armondo Cordoba(20-11-1) in August and has a string of 4 victories. Unfortunately, three of the four were splits or a majority with the only decisive victory against a fighter in his pro debut. In June of last year you may recall the controversial decision Hector was awarded with Guty Espadas. Rocky in 5.
On the under card a match-up for the supposed Houston Bragging Rights, pits Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz versus Joel Perez. Baby Bull is 22-0 and Joel is 0-0-0 , enough said. Personally this is so one sided I am going to cheer on Joel Perez. Takes guts to start a career in this fashion.
Dominick Guinn is surely not getting the respect he deserves or maybe he is just having trouble getting the top contenders to risk their positions in the rankings!
Undefeated Guinn (23-0) faces off against Derrick Banks (20-10-1). Banks has not been active since he was knocked out by Mesi in the first round at Foxwoods, November of 2001. Hopefully this will be the last of the journeymen fighters for Dominick. Dominick in 3.
Look for these fights Saturday evening on Showtime.
Health Update: Jean Francois Bergeron is almost fully recovered from a pinched nerve in his neck, suffered in his bout with Darroll Wilson. Amazingly Jean fought one armed from the fourth to the tenth round winning a unanimous decision. Keep an eye out for this 6â€™5" 225 southpaw.
Bergeron(18-0) may explode on to the heavyweight scene this year if he can stay healthy.
Look for Thobela to retire should he lose to Otis Grant this weekend in Monteal, sources tell me he is getting hammered with requests from family and friends to take a bow. Should he decide to retire "The Rose of Soweto" has been a great champion and a pleasure to watch over the years.
My Pound 4 Pound:
1. Floyd Mayweather Jr. 31-0, 21 KO : In my book his performances this year rank him higher than Jones but only by a whisker.
2. Roy Jones Jr. 48-1, 38 KOâ€™s; Based on his fight choices this year and his performance, not the classic Jones.
3. Eric Morales 45-1 34 KO 3 fights this year and all by KO, no slouches in his opponents either.
4. Bernard Hopkins 42-2-1 31 KO: Letâ€™s see what he does with Joppy.
5. Shane Mosely 39-2 35 KO; Look for Mosely to move up if he can defeat Mayorga or DLH again.
6. Manny Pacquiao; 38-2-1 30KO; Ranked eight until he dethroned Barrera, we all saw why he belongs here.
7. James Toney 67-4-2 43 KO ; Give him his props after Jirov and Holyfield. If he beats McCline he is Co Fighter of the year with Pacquiao.
8. Kostya Tszyu 30-1 24 KO Lucky he is even ranked this year with his activity level.
9. Juan Manuel Marquez 42-2, 33 KO Gainer didnâ€™t make him look good but he is on a streak.
10. Oscar De La Hoya; 36-3 29 KO; It may be the last time he is ranked P4P the way he is getting hit and the choices in strategy he is making in the ring.
previous article: Tszyu-Mitchell, Toney vs McCline: Showtime To Present Dual-Continent Telecast For First Time In Its History
next article: Montiel and Valero sign with Golden Boy Promotions