Tyson Fury Wins Second Pro Fight, Stops Marcel Zeller In 3rd Round

Tyson Furyby James Slater - Last night, at The Robin Park Arena, Wigan, UK, unbeaten 20-year-old heavyweight prospect Tyson Fury won his second pro fight. Stopping the game German Marcel Zeller at 2 minutes and 50-seconds of the 3rd round, the 6'9" Fury gave referee Howard Foster no choice but to dive in and save the 35-year-old from taking further punishment. Zeller, who wore a Scottish kilt in tribute to his late father's Scottish ancestry, fell to 21-4(20).

Big things are expected of the newest big man (approx 250-pounds) to emerge on the heavyweight scene, and the confidence he and his handlers have was show in taking last night's bout. In only his second paid bout, to have taken on a guy with 20 KO's to his name - regardless of the quality of the 20 men that Zeller stopped - says a lot. Fury, whose father "Gypsy" John Fury was also a pro heavyweight, wasted no time in attempting to get his more experienced foe out of there.

In the opening round, with a KO clearly on his mind, Fury gave an amazingly tough Zeller a real hiding. Blasting him with slamming right hands to the head, vicious right uppercuts to the chin and some wicked-looking body punches, the fighter named after former world champ Mike Tyson won a commanding first round. Only Zeller's heart and chin allowed him to survive the round that was scored 10-8 against him. Astonishingly, the German, who is something of a character, even found time to play around in there, dropping his hands and waving Fury in!

Things were pretty much the same in the 2nd round, though Fury's furious pace had slowed noticeably. Possessing a quick and accurate left jab, Fury popped it out and moved well, especially for such a huge man. There was a crude attempt at an attack by the much smaller Zeller (6'1" and 232), before he was once again stuck in a corner and unloaded upon. Showing real grit, the hard German would not go down. Another big, possibly 10-8 round, for the 20-year-old.

A big left hand to the head by Fury hurt Zeller seconds into the 3rd, but time was then called for an errant low blow that had also landed on the older man. Not making a meal of it, Zeller indicated he could go on after about 30-seconds or so. Throwing a couple of dangerous-looking right hands of his own, one of which got through, Zeller was soon in more trouble. Stuck once more in a corner, the German was close to being stopped. After a final barrage, during which he dropped his hands and signalled he'd again been hit low, Zeller was saved by referee Foster. Screaming in protest, the visiting fighter insisted he could have gone on.

The British commentator watching the action remarked upon how Fury reminded him of a young George Foreman. High praise indeed, and Tyson said post-fight how much of an honour it was to be compared to one of his "super heroes." Fury also said he wanted to send shock waves around the world with his performance, and he said he felt he had done so. His promoter, Mick Hennessey, referred to his fighter as "the best prospect in world boxing."

It's still way too early to be able to tell if Fury will do as he claims and become British champion, "without a doubt," this year - but so far the 20-year-old with genuine power and good hand speed has definitely shown he is one to watch. Now 2-0(2) Fury is expected to fight again in a month or so.

Article posted on 18.01.2009

Bookmark and Share

previous article: News: Jose Torres; Sebastian Sylvester; Paul Edwards

next article: News: Hide vs. Godfrey on March 6th; Shawn Estrada Undergoes Surgery; Kaloki Vs Tissen

If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 - Privacy Policy l Contact