News: Edison Miranda; Garcia vs Lugo; WBC News
Hollywood FL, December 5 - Three of boxing’s top contenders will kick off their 2009 campaigns on Wednesday, January 14th, as Edison Miranda, Sechew Powell, and O’Neil Bell headline Seminole Warriors Boxing’s “Hard Knocks at the Hard Rock” at the Hard Rock Live in Hollywood. Tickets for this event, priced at $152, $102, $52, and $22, will go on sale Monday, December 8th at noon and may be purchased at the Hard Rock Live Box Office or TicketMaster.com..
Article posted on 07.12.2008
A thrill-a-minute super middleweight who aims to be on top of the 168 pound weight class in 2009, Edison “Pantera” Miranda (30-3, 26 KOs) returns to Hollywood on January 14th, a place where he has won six of seven fights, including his 2008 KO of the Year candidate over David Banks last January. More aggressive and ambitious than ever, the 27-year old is mowing down anyone in his path on the way to the championship.
Brooklyn’s finest, junior middleweight contender Sechew Powell (24-2, 14 KOs) is another fighter looking for a big 2009. Winner of four of his last five bouts, including stoppages of Terrance Cauthen and Kevin Finley, “The Iron Horse” is ready to fulfill his potential by fastening a gold championship belt around his waist in the coming months.
The former undisputed cruiserweight champion of the world and one of boxing’s most exciting practitioners, O’Neil Bell (26-3-1, 24 KOs) will make his long-awaited return to the ring on January 14th, and he’ll be doing it as a heavyweight. With issues of making weight now behind him, Bell has the style, power, determination, and heart to make the heavyweight division relevant again, and his journey will begin in just six weeks.
Opponents for Miranda, Powell, and Bell will be announced shortly.
DANNY "SWIFT" GARCIA NOW FACES JOSE LUGO OF LOS MOCHIS MEXICO
Undefeated Jr. Welterweight prospect, Danny "Swift" Garcia (9-0, 7 KO's), will now face Jose Alfredo Lugo (10-5-1, 5 KO's) of Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico in an eight round bout scheduled for this Saturday on the undercard of De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao.
Last week on the undercard of Paul Williams vs. Verno Phillips, Lugo impressed those in attendance as he came out with a draw against undefeated Mike Dallas Jr. (5-0-1). The rugged Mexican will be a tough test for the Golden Boy Promotions standout, Garcia.
"I'm excited about fighting on one of the biggest cards of the year." said Garcia. "I don't know much about Lugo. I know that he's a tough fighter from Mexico. I'm going to stick to my game plan and box. Expect fireworks come fight night."
Fans can watch a live stream of the undercard fights on Yahoo! Sports and ESPN 360.
WBC NOMINATIONS FOR “THE BEST OF 2008” AWARDS
BOXER OF THE YEAR
* Vitali Klitschko, Ukraine. Came back as WBC Emeritus Champion after four years away from the ring to categorically defeat WBC world champion Samuel Peter to regain the WBC heavyweight championship of the world.
* Manny Pacquiao, Philippines. Won the WBC super featherweight world championship in a dramatic fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in March, and won the WBC lightweight championship of the world three months later with an spectacular knockout against David Diaz. Will participate in the historic match against Oscar de la Hoya.
* Edgar Sosa, Mexico. The most active champion with four title defenses in 2008, including the spectacular knockout in seven rounds against mandatory contender Juanito Rubillar.
FIGHT OF THE YEAR
* Israel Vazquez vs. Juan Manuel Marquez. The third fight, after two great previous battles, was a dramatic war between two great champions with Vazquez winning the fight by decision with a twelfth-round knockdown.
* Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez. A great fight between two great champions, full of emotion and drama.
* Vitali Klitschko vs. Samuel Peter. One of the greatest exhibitions by heavyweight champions in the history of boxing in a highly expected event.
MOST DRAMATIC FIGHT
* Oscar Larios vs. Takahiro Aoh. A dramatic fight in Japan between the veteran Larios and the challenger Aoh.
* Chad Dawson vs. Glen Johnson. A great fight for the WBC light heavyweight championship.
* Edgar Sosa vs. Juanito Rubillar. A bloodied Sosa showed his courage and knocked out Rubillar in 7 seven rounds.
KNOCKOUT OF THE YEAR
* Vic Darchynian KO9 Cristian Mijares. Darchinyan knocked out the solid champion.
* David Haye TKO2 Enzo Maccarinelli. Haye wins unification fight.
* Manny Pacquiao TKO9 David Diaz. Pacquiao conquered the lightweight championship with a dramatic knockout.
* Antonio Pitalua KO6 Armando Santa Cruz. Pitalua demolishes Santa Cruz to win the mandatory position in the WBC lightweight division.
GREATEST PROMOTION OF THE YEAR
* Samuel Peter vs. Oleg Maskaev. The first heavyweight championship bout ever held in Mexico in paradisiacal Cancun, with the atmosphere of the bullring through the cameras of HBO.
* Samuel Peter vs. Vitali Klitschko. The greatest production shown in a telecast with spectacular camera angle in the O2 Arena from Berlin, Germany.
previous article: Amir Khan Too Much For Oisin Fagan, Wins In 2ND Round!
next article: Toney vs Oquendo: Thompson KO'd by Bronchitis