Boxing


Boxing News: Eddie Chambers, Andre Ward, Nevitt vs Mobley

USBA Heavyweight Champion, 'Fast' Eddie Chambers 31-1 (17KOs) returns to the ring this Friday against Livin 'La Maquina' Castillo 14-5 (9KOs) at the Vernoca Michael promoted 'Cancer Awareness Night' at the Philadelphia landmark venue, The Legendary Blue Horizon..

'Fast' Eddie, who has been preparing at the James Shuler Memorial Gym, took a little time out between sessions to talk about his upcoming encounter with 'La Maquina' "Yeah, I'm fighting Livin Castillo. He's a pretty crafty southpaw. Coming up from cruiserweight, I think. He fought Bruce Seldon recently and was doing well in the beginning. Winning, but got caught in the fifth round and knocked out. He fought Alexander Povetkin, the only loss I had in my career was to Alexander, If I remember rightly Castillo was knocked out in round four."

"It looks a pretty good fight. I'm pretty much just going to take care of business and get another great win under my belt."

The co-feature fight is an eight round welterweight battle between Philadelphia's own, Darren Fallen 10-4-1 (6KOs), and Puerto Rican, Carlos Pena 5-15-2 (4KOs).

The exciting undercard features an interesting six round female welterweight match-up between Sweden's, Anna Ingman 5-0 (1KO), and Tampa Forida's, Cimberly Harris 5-12. Another welterweight battle precedes this, this time between Philadelphia's, Darrell Jones 1-0 (1KO) and German debutee Hakash Hotaki. Also featured is a super feathweight bout between Queens, New York based, Joselito Collado 4-0 (2KOs) and David Orosco Cano 0-1 from Georgia.

Two further fights are scheduled, one a light heavyweight debut for Dante Woods from Atlanta, Georgia and the other a super featherweight bout featuring Peruvian Carlos Zambrano 2-0. Opponents for these two fights to be announced shortly.


ANDRE WARD BACK IN TRAINING!

Los Angeles, CA (September 30, 2008) -- 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist and top-10 world rated, Andre “S.O.G.” Ward (16-0, 11 KOs) received clearance from Doctor Warren King to resume his regular training schedule.

Ward, who had suffered an injury to his right knee, underwent arthroscopic surgery early last month.

Said Ward, “I met with Dr. King yesterday at the Oakland Raider facility and he determined that I could immediately begin training. The original target date to resume training was mid-October; but my rehabilitation and recovery went so well I was given the green light sooner."

“I am excited to get back on track and begin training again at my full potential. I look forward to my next challenge in the ring. I always step into the ring motivated but this time around it will have an extra special meaning because I feel so grateful to God to have had the ability to strengthen my body.”


LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHTS NEVITT AND MOBLEY IN CICERO SHOWDOWN ON OCTOBER 17TH

CHICAGO, IL (October 1, 2008) Chicago light heavyweights Mike “THE HAMMER” Nevitt and “MARVELOUS” Shay Mobley will clash at “CICERO FURY” on Friday, October 17th at Cicero Stadium, it was announced today by Dominic Pesoli, President of 8 Count Productions, HOME OF THE BEST IN CHICAGO BOXING.

“It’s a real Chicago fight fans battle. These two guys have known about each other for years and with the styles that they have it should be all action from the opening bell.

They’re both coming off wins but they both need a win to move onto bigger fights. There’s a lot at stake and that usually means both guys will do anything to win. Generally those are the best fights for the fans”, said Pesoli.

Advance tickets for “ CICERO FURY”, presented along with Budweiser, TCF Bank, Jack Daniels and EL Jimador Tequila, are on sale in advance by calling the 8 Count Productions office at 312-226-5800. Cicero Stadium is located at 1909 S. Laramie . Doors for this event will open at 7pm with the first bell scheduled for 8pm..

Nevitt, 15-1 (6KO’s) is coming off sixth round knockout of Luis Lopez on July 25th at the Aragon Ballroom. Prior to that he challenged Otis Griffin for the WBO NABO title last April, a bout fought evenly for the first six rounds, before the Chicago native was stopped in the 7th.

The Chicago fan favorite Nevitt had won his the first fifteen bouts of his professional career prior to the battle with Griffin and will look to restart his winning streak against Mobley.

The 31 year old Mobley, 17-9-1 (7KO’s) is coming off a unanimous decision win over Jerome Elder on November 16th. His six year career includes battles with Donovan George, David Lopez, “MACHO” Miguel Hernandez and Jesus Gonzalez.

His battle with Hernandez at Chicago ’s Aragon Ballroom was one of Chicago ’s most talked about fights of 2005. The SOLO BOXEO broadcast unanimous decision win for Mobley highlighted a six bout winning streak for the heavy handed southpaw.

The Nevitt/Mobley fight is scheduled for eight rounds.

Also featured at “ CICERO FURY” is the return of long time Chicagoland fan favorite, featherweight Jose Hernandez, 22-4 (14KO’s). The Round Lake Beach resident returns to the ring following his terrific battle with former world title challenger Rocky Juarez on May 5, 2007 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the co-main event to the Pay Per View record setting

Oscar De La Hoya/Floyd Mayweather bout.

“ CICERO FURY” will also see Chicago ’s hottest prospect, undefeated Ivan Popoca attempt to continue his rise towards the rankings. Having quickly become the most talked about prospect in Chicago , the heavy handed Popoca, 8-0-1, with seven knockouts, will look to stay unbeaten in a scheduled six rounder. The native of Guerrero , Mexico has knocked out his last two opponents in the first round.

Also appearing at “ CICERO FURY” is undefeated featherweight Juan Bailon in a four round bout.. Bailon, 3-0 (1KO), is coming off a four round unanimous decision win over Gerardo Alarcon on June 20th at the Aragon Ballroom.

After a successful pro debut, welterweight Ryan Smedick will return in a four round bout. Smedick, 1-0 (1KO), scored a third round knockout of Eric Bradford on August 15th at the Aragon Ballroom.

Much more information on this event will be announced shortly.

The Master of Ceremonies for the evening will be noted boxing ring announcer Thomas Treiber.

8 Count Productions was started by Dominic Pesoli in 1998 and has consistently presented the highest quality professional boxing events in Chicagoland. In 2003, Pesoli along with former featherweight contender Mike Garcia opened JABB Boxing Gym, a 6,000 square foot venue dedicated to the finest Chicagoland boxers of all talent levels.

To view the seating chart and poster for this event or for more information on 8 Count Productions and JABB Boxing Gym, please visit www.8countproductions.com and www.jabbboxing.com

Article posted on 30.09.2008



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Martin Gethin To Be Amir Khan's Comeback Opponent On December 13th?

next article: Stanley Ketchel: The Irresistible Assassin










If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact