Andy Lee Gets Back On Track With 10th Round TKO Over Game Willie Gibbs

by James Slater: Last night, in Limerick, Ireland, middleweight prospect Andy Lee got himself back on the winning track following his shock defeat at the hands of Brian Vera. Stopping a game and tough Willie Gibbs in the final seconds of the 10th round, the 24-year-old southpaw showed precious few ill effects from the March stoppage loss to Vera..

Last night's ending came with just three seconds remaining on the clock in the 10th and last round. A huge right hand sent Gibbs down and though he bravely beat the count, he was under fire along the ropes soon after doing so. Eventually, the American's corner-men threw in the towel, prompting the stoppage by referee Emile Tiedt. Lee improved to 16-1(13). The 32-year-old from Philly fell to 20-4(16). The defeat marked the third straight loss for Gibbs.

Lee admitted there was pressure on his shoulders going into the fight - after what happened to him in that 7th round against Vera, who could blame him? But a few early signs of caution later, Lee was boxing very well. Much faster than the dangerous Gibbs, the Irish-born southpaw was winning the rounds with his boxing ability. Gibbs did cut his man over the right eye in the early going, but the damage came from a head clash. The 32-year-old was badly shaken in the 5th round, as Lee landed an assortment of good shots. Gibbs, too, was hurt in the 6th - but he refused to fall and was hanging tough.

Even coming back into the fight in the 7th, as he connected with his right hand, the American reminded Lee's hometown fans how much of a threat he could still be. Tiring down the stretch and being out-boxed again, Gibbs was way behind on points. Knowing this, he came out with one huge effort in the 10th and final round. Again a clash of heads inflicted some damage over Lee's eye, causing a brief time-out issued by the referee. Once the action resumed, Lee maintained his composure and picked his spot superbly as he scored with his big right hand.

The fight was all but over, and the 24-year-old put the finishing touches to his good performance - forcing the stoppage with just seconds left in a final, wild and exciting round of boxing.

Scheduled to box again (according to BoxRec) in Chicago on August 8th, it seems the Andy Lee express train is up and running once again.

Article posted on 20.07.2008

Bookmark and Share

previous article: De La Hoya Vs. Pacquiao At 147 Pounds - Could It Really Happen In December?

next article: Deandre Latimore Ready To Fight Again

If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 - Privacy Policy l Contact