Boxing

Ricky Hatton KO's TV Stars

26.03.08 - Ricky Hatton delivered a knockout blow to Ant and Dec last weekend, snubbing the British TV stars for big pal Matthew Macklin. The world light-welterweight champion was due to appear on their prime-time show 'Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway' which pulls in millions of television viewers..

But 'The Hitman' told the Geordie duo to count him out when he realised his scheduled ITV appearance clashed with Macklin's fight against Yory Boy Campas in Dublin, Ireland.

Hatton, 29, promised Macklin he would be in his corner when he fought Campas and was adamant that he wouldn't let his mate down.

Hatton who defends his IBO and Ring Magazine titles against Juan Lazcano at City of Manchester Stadium on May 24 explained: "I couldn't let Matthew down. He has always been there for me and was an invaluable member of my team in Las Vegas last year when I fought Jose Luis Castilo and Floyd Mayweather.

"It would have been great to appear on TV with Ant and Dec, who I am a great admirer of, but it was no contest when I realised the date clashed with Matthew's big fight. I hope being in Dublin helped Matthew because it was a magnificent win for him, and hopefully we will make it a double celebration when I beat Lazcano."

Frank Maloney, who promotes the Hatton vs. Lazcano bout, said "My initial reaction was that appearing on Ant and Dec's show was a must because it would help the Lazcano fight.

"Ricky understands the importance of promotional work, but was insistent on going over the Ireland for Macklin's fight. He is that type of fella, and loyalty to his friends means a lot to him, and that is why he has massive public appeal."

Ricky Hatton appears at City of Manchester Stadium on May 24, 2008 on a Frank Maloney Promotions/Punch Promotions bill with full undercard support. Tickets are priced from 30 to 500 ringside and can be purchased from www.ticketmaster.co.uk, www.rickyhitmanhatton.co.uk and www.frankmaloney.com

Article posted on 26.03.2008



Bookmark and Share


previous article: Azille to Appeal Judges' Decision vs Hugger

next article: De La Hoya-Mayweather II but no Cotto-Mosley II?










If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.
The views and opinions of all writers expressed on Boxing247.com do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Management.
Copyright © 2001- 2015 Boxing247.com - Privacy Policy l Contact