Mayweather vs. Hatton: Top Ten Observations of the Latest HBO PPV Card
By: Christopher Roche - 10) Edner Cherry finally showed why he is nicknamed “Cherry Bomb” as he knocked out Mayweather Promotions’ Wes Ferguson.
Article posted on 09.12.2007
9) Daniel Ponce De Leon did not exactly find the fountain of youth tonight, but he is a much better fighter than the HBO PPV announcing team gave him credit for..
8) Peter Manfredo looked more like a kid on Atwells Ave., as opposed to the “Pride of Providence”. (You will have had to have spent some time in Providence to get that one).
7) Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy needs to change his nickname. He did not land one “left hook”.
6) Roger Mayweather needs to learn how to curse. At least in another language, because he has mastered the English “F” word.
5) Charles Barkley should never sit ringside, especially considering his gambling history.
4) Larry Merchant was the most welcomed voice in the booth. Please get rid of Max Kellerman ASAP.
3) We need Lennox Lewis. Emanuel Steward is the master of the obvious, and he always calls things after the fact. For example, he was a total homer for Wes Ferguson in the undercard, who fought for Kronk in the amateurs, but when Cherry pasted him, Steward claimed he saw it all the way. What a joke!
2) Please take Jose Cortez and punchstat and throw them both into the basura. I have never seen such a poorly refereed fight in my life, and punchstat is a joke. Punchstat’s fraud (along with much of the HBO Boxing Team’s Analysis) came to fruition during the Taylor vs. Pavlik fight, and it should be discarded.
1)Floyd Mayweather looked like Roger Mayweather tonight. Roger is the “Black Mamba” and the “Mexican Assassin” who could knock someone cold or be knocked cold himself. Ricky Hatton brought that out of Floyd tonight, and both fighters deserve credit. God Bless the Mayweather and the Hatton families tonight. You gave us an awesome sports night, and we are proud of your effort. You made boxing proud!
In the interest of full disclosure, I picked Ricky Hatton to win the fight. This was a great fight, and Floyd showed some amazing skills in taking out a formidable foe. All the glory goes to him, and I am not happy about Hatton’s fans booing our National Anthem. That was your act of hubris.
previous article: Mayweather versus Hatton: Brain versus Brawn?
next article: Floyd Mayweather vs. Hatton: The Prediction and the Outcome