03.06.04 - By Tony Nobbs: IBF # 5 Jnr Middleweight (69.85 kg) Shannan Taylor was offered a shot at the vacant title this weekend when top contender Kasim Ouma withdrew from his scheduled title decider with # 2 rated Verno Phillips in Missouri. Taylor, 32 said he could easily have taken the fight- if he was only interested in the money. He declined because he feels he is only one or two bouts away from the title as it is and that when the time comes he wants to be 100 percent ready.
“I could have jumped on the plane tomorrow and gone over. I can beat Verno Phillips” said Taylor (38-3-2, 25 KO) on Wednesday night “ if they rang last week I’d have taken it but on 24 hours notice it would have been too hard. When my time comes I don’t want any excuses. I’m not in boxing for the money and this proves it. I promised Tony Caradonna the world title and I’m going to deliver it. A few people said I should take it but they don’t understand. This is my destiny!”.
Taylor’s only major world title opportunity came in March 2001 when he was stopped after five rounds to then pound for pound claimant Shane Mosley for the WBC Welterweight crown. Taylor is due to next fight on Jamie Myer’s promotion at the Royal Pines Golf Course on the Gold Coast on June 25 against Argentine southpaw Walter Crucce. In left handed preparation the ‘Bulli Blaster’ has boxed Commonwealth Games Gold Medallist Paul Miller and says he intends to spar Australian Jnr Middleweight champion Gary Comer next week.