Fighting Irishmen exhibit sets sail for South Street Seaport Museum
New York, March 5—The widely popular Fighting Irishmen: Celebrating Celtic Prizefighters 1820-Present exhibit, fresh off a long run at the Irish Arts Center, sets sail down the East River of Manhattan for the South Street Seaport Museum beginning Friday, March 16th , with curator Jim Houlihan again at the helm. The exhibit is a collaborative effort between the South Street Seaport Museum and the Irish Arts Center..
Article posted on 05.03.2007
The eclectic collection of boxing photography and artifacts – which will continue through December 31 – is once again open to the public, and just completed a four month run at the Irish Arts Center. It is a veritable stroll down memory lane for fight fans and historians alike. Among the artifacts and pictures on display will be the legendary John L. Sullivan's fur coat; a blazer specially made for Jack Dempsey; photographs from the archives of Sports Illustrated; Charlie Nash's Olympic jersey when he was fighting for Ireland; photographs of the classic Micky Ward vs. Arturo Gatti trilogy; and historic photos of such memorable Irish fighters as John L. Sullivan, James J. Braddock, Billy Conn, Jerry Quarry, Gerry Cooney, Barry McGuigan and Bobby Cassidy, just to name a few.
The new and expanded exhibit will also include: a heavy bag from Gene Tunney’s training camp; equipment from current female fighter Maureen Shea, used for training actress Hilary Swank for the acclaimed film Million Dollar Baby, and three original oil painting’s from the Tunney collection by the artist Mahonri Young, Brigham Young’s grandson. In addition, visitors will be able to view video of historic fights during their tours of the exhibit.
Of course, certainly the most unique item in the exhibit – the late, great Irish fighter Dan Donnelly’s mummified right arm – will again be on display thanks to Josephine Byrne.
The South Street Seaport Museum is located at 12 Fulton Street, New York, NY 10038. Making the exhibit of even greater historical significance is that the South Street Seaport Museum is located along the docks on the East River, where Irish immigrants prior to 1892 (pre Ellis Island) first stepped onto New York soil, just a block away from the museum. When the museum was restoring old seafaring buildings along the docks, a wall of Irish graffiti was uncovered, dating back to the Great Famine. It will also be on exhibit.
Winter hours for the South Street Seaport Museum are Fridays through Mondays from 10 AM to 5 PM through March 31, and from April 1 through October 31 every day except Mondays from 10 am to 6 PM.
Fighting Irishmen: A Celebration of Celtic Prizefighters 1820-Present launches March 16, and will run through December 31st, 2007. For more information call Carol Rauscher at the South Street Seaport Museum at 212-748-8776
In addition, there will be a series of special event nights commemorating the Celtic warrior. The dates will be announced shortly.
previous article: The Case for Nigel Benn in the Hall
next article: Marc Callaghan confident of continuing momentum