Cuban prospect Hairon “El Maja” Socarras captures WBA Latino belt
Dominican Republic – Highly touted prospect from Cuba, Hairon ‘El Maja’ Socarras ( 11-0-1 , 8 KO’s ) scored a impressive fourth round knockout over Dominican, Aneudy Matos ( 13-11-1, 9 KO’s ) to grab the vacant WBA Latino super bantamweight belt ( 122lbs ). The fight was held at the Carlos ‘Teo’ Cruz Coliseum in Santo Domingo.
Matos, who visited the canvas in the first, and fourth round, left the ring in bad shape.
“My opponent ( Matos ) came to win, to give everything, but I came determined to take the title convincingly because here, I’m not the localist” said Socarrás from Lisa, city of La Havana.
‘El Maja’, who is trained by Jorge Rubio in Miami, had a spectacular amateur boxing career with a total of 180 fights, 75 of those in his native Cuba. In his career, he was Provincial Champion at 10 and 11 years old in Cuba. In the United States, he was a four times Florida State Champion, twice Silver Gloves Champion, and Golden Gloves Champion.
In his short professional boxing career, Socarrás had already two notable wins over prospects, Josh Bowles, and Sergio Montes de Oca, who where defeated by knockout and unanimous decision respectively.
Photos by Oscar Palomino.
- Abraham vs Smith: ‘That’s What Happens In Germany’
- Sho Nuff: Nelson gets past Blencowe to retain title!
- Artur Beterbiev – clear and present danger for Sergey Kovalev’s light heavyweight dominance
- Abraham retains WBO title with unanimous points decision
- Jose Roman Retains WBC CABOFE Lightweight Title at “Path to Glory”