Second top-highlight in Berlin: Hernandez takes on Fields
Photo: Wende — The fans at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany have another great fight to look forward to. Not only will they get to watch the all-German affair between current European Light Heavyweight Champion Eduard Gutknecht and Juergen Braehmer but it has now been confirmed that Yoan Pablo Hernandez (27-1, 13 KOs) will be defending his IBF Cruiserweight Title against the American Eric Fields (21-1, 15 KOs).
Hernandez took the championship of Steve “USS” Cunningham back in October 2011. Since then he also won a rematch against Cunningham in February and also defended the IBF Crown in a close fight with Canada´s Troy Ross on September 15. Now the 28-year-old prodigy of Coach Ulli Wegner has the first title defense of 2013 firmly in his sight.
“I am very excited“, said Hernandez. “Berlin has become my new home. I live and train here. Never before have I stood inside the ring of the Max-Schmeling-Halle as the champion of the world.” Nevertheless, the third title defense of the southpaw will not be a walk in the park. 30-year-old Fields, also known as “Danger”, has won all of his last ten fights.
Due to a loss to the hands of Ola Afolabi back in 2008, Fields had to wait a little longer for an opportunity to challenge for a world title. However, the man fighting out of Ardmore, Oklahoma has fought his way into the top-15 of the IBF and will give it his best shoot in order to take the belt back to the States.
Yoan Pablo Hernandez: “He is a fighter, who is always looking to move forward and is always up for a real punch up. But I have already started with my preparations and will not get too comfortable during the festive season. I will have to be in tip-top shape and be prepared to give it my all until someone falls. That being said, it won’t be me who will fall. The only one going down on February 2 is Eric Fields.”
Tickets for the big fight night in Berlin, Germany can be purchased at
www.eventim.de and www.boxen.com.