Marcos Nader dethrones Santos to become EU Middleweight Champion
Photo: FAB Fotos –Marcos Nader has done it. With a win over Roberto Santos at the Multiversum Schwechat near Vienna, Austria, he is the first ever EU Champion of his home country. The 23-year-old middleweight showed a classy performance in front of 1,800 enthusiastic boxing fans and was awarded the decision by scores of 116-112, 116-112 and 115-113 against the defending titleholder from Spain. His record now stands at 17 wins out of 18 professional fights, with the lone draw resulting from his first outing against Santos last November.
“I was off to a quick start and was in control, but had to get through some difficulties towards the end of the fight,” said Nader right after the bout. “I still haven’t realised what I have done and may need some time until I can believe it.”
The fight was nearly a carbon copy of the first one with the local hero being more active. Nader showed some fine combinations early on. 31-year-old Santos looked like as if he counted on his opponent to tire out. The championship rounds seemed to give him right, but Nader proved to be a warrior and fought through fatigue, rightfully claiming his first professional title.
- The Good, The Bad and the Unfair: A Week in the Life of Boxing
- Cuellar Whips Tamayo To Retain Title On SHOWTIME BOXING
- Mayweather will have an asterisk even if he beats Pacquiao now, says Jones Jr
- Arum: 48 million homes in China watched Pacquiao-Algieri
- Arum: Mayweather is poaching the Mexican holiday