May Day Round-Up: Jason Welborn Victorious
Jason Welborn has landed a British Light Middleweight Title Eliminator following his convincing points victory over tough Bulgarian, Stanislav Nenkov, on Friday evening.
The Rowley Regis boxer has been pitted against Scottish stylist, Kris Carslaw, after the British Boxing Board Board of Control announced that the pair would fight for the right to challenge Liam Smith for the Lord Lonsdale belt.
Welborn went through the gears to record a shut out points victory at the top EJKO Promotions’ ‘MayDay’ bill at Walsall Town Hall.
At one stage it looked like he was in for an early night as stinging hooks seemed to rock Nenkov but the Bulgarian kept himself out of harm’s way as the fight went the full ten rounds. Referee Terry O’Connor scored the contest 100-90.
“He was a tough kid,” Welborn told www.uko-boxing.com. “But I needed some rounds. I needed a decent perfor,m nce to put me back amongst things and I got that.
“Carslaw in an Eliminator is a good fight for me. I want to get back up to British level and test myself.”
Walsall’s Luke Paddock made it 7 wins out of 7 with a convincing victory over another Bulgarian, Kristian Dochev.
Paddock was by far the busier man and boxed in stages to take an 80-74 victory on Shaun Messer’s scorecard.
“You could see my confidence is growing in there,” added Paddock. “He was a tough European opponent, as I expected him to be, but I thought I showed a bit of skill and style in there.”
Wolverhampton’s Des Bowater made it five wins in a row as he put Birmingham veteran, Sid Razak, to the sword over six two-minute rounds.
Bowater came out of the blocks at great pace and banged away against the game Razak. It was an impressive performance from ‘D-Bow’ as O’Connor scored the contest 60-54.
The first fight of the evening saw debutant Jamie Gelder step in at the 11th hour to replace Josh McLaren, who missed out due to personal reasons. The Bilston banger faced Halesowen-based Kevin McCauley and was given the nod 40-37 by Messer.
- Juan Carlos Payano Wins World Bantamweight Crown
- Abraham vs Smith: ‘That’s What Happens In Germany’
- Sho Nuff: Nelson gets past Blencowe to retain title!
- Artur Beterbiev – clear and present danger for Sergey Kovalev’s light heavyweight dominance
- Abraham retains WBO title with unanimous points decision
- N’Dam defeats Stevens
- Chad Dawson’s Quest for a Third World Title Continues this Saturday against Tommy Karpency
- Stevens vs. N’Dam: Where the rubber meets the road
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Malignaggi, Mayweather/Pacquiao, Thurman/Kahn, & Danny Garcia!
- Cleverly/Bellew rematch live on Sky Sports Box Office