Lopez decisions Perea
On a very rainy night in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, Jose “Piston” Lopez became the new World Boxing Federation World Welterweight Champion by defeating countryman Jose Emilio Perea by majority decision on a show promoted by HG Boxing and Promociones Del Pueblo at the legendary Jalisco Arena.
With the victory, televised in Mexico by Cadena 3, the 21-year-old Lopez realized his dream of becoming a World Champion only two and a half years after turning professional, and improved his record to17-2-1 (10). Perea dropped to 21-2 (13).
Lopez, the younger man by eight years, showed more determination from the start, and it was obvious that he had his mind firmly set on being victorious. While the first three rounds were more or less fought on even terms, Lopez started to take over from the fourth.
As the bout entered the championship rounds it was clear that Perea needed a knockout to win, but Lopez proved too smart and skilled to give his opponent any opportunities to catch him clean. Perea tried his best, but Lopez countered effectively and it showed in the marked face of Perea after the final bell.
Judges Erika Contreras, Guillermo Sandoval and Carlos Ruiz scored the bout 118-110, 116-112 and a too close 114-114, and a jubilant Jose Lopez was declared a deserved winner and cheered by the enthusiastic crowd. Referee was Jesus Salcedo.
- Gary Russell Jr. To Face Christopher Martin In New Co-Feature This Saturday, Dec. 20, On Showtime Boxing
- Fury back in action in February
- Kellerman: Mayweather needs Pacquiao to keep from getting bumped by Cotto-Canelo on Cinco de Mayo
- Mayweather rules out Khan fight, wants Pacquiao instead
- Mayweather Jr. vs. Pacquiao on May 2: Bob Arum says that’s Canelo’s date