Gone in 60 seconds – Haroon Khan blitzes to victory in US debut!
(Bolton, May 20) – Haroon Khan (2-0, 1 KO) can’t wait for his next challenge after producing an emphatic performance in his US debut as he spectacularly blitzed his way past Vicente Medellin (0-6) in just 57 seconds.
The 2010 Commonwealth Games bronze medalist showed off his impressive skill set as he overwhelmed his American opponent from the outset at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
An initial left-right combination had Medellin staggered and backpedaling before a right cross put him down. Medellin quickly jumped back up following the knockdown but was still noticeably hurt before Khan finished him off with a crushing left hook to the body.
The Bolton ace was coming off a win from his professional debut only last month against Brett Fidoe in Sheffield where he won a unanimous points decision over four rounds.
The 22-year-old bantamweight, and brother of former unified world champion, Amir, is now looking ahead and can’t wait to get back in the ring soon.
“I’m raring to go again after that win,” said Khan. “I followed the instructions from my team to get on him and start quick and it worked perfectly. The fact I only fought three weeks before this fight meant I was in great shape and felt in fantastic condition. My aim now is to stay busy and keep as active as possible. I’m hoping to get on a few more big shows like this one in Atlantic City over the next year. My team has been discussing getting me on some other huge cards and that type of experience is only going to help my progression as a fighter.”
Trainer, Oliver Harrison, said: “I’m very pleased with Haroon’s performance and how he went out there and executed the game plan so well. We knew we could cause this kid problems by getting on him from the start and using Haroon’s jab and reach to help create openings. Once he was hurt there was no way Haroon was going to let him off and the way he finished to the body was great to see. Haroon’s constantly improving and I think over the next few fights everyone will see why I have so much belief in him.”
The youngster will now take the next few weeks off as he celebrates the wedding of his older sibling who gets married later this month in New York before lining up his next opponent.
- Juan Carlos Payano Wins World Bantamweight Crown
- Abraham vs Smith: ‘That’s What Happens In Germany’
- Sho Nuff: Nelson gets past Blencowe to retain title!
- Artur Beterbiev – clear and present danger for Sergey Kovalev’s light heavyweight dominance
- Abraham retains WBO title with unanimous points decision
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Malignaggi, Mayweather/Pacquiao, Thurman/Kahn, & Danny Garcia!
- ESPN Boxing Weigh-In Results
- Canelo to fight 37-year-old Joshua Clottey next on December 6th
- De La Hoya: Canelo wants to be second to nobody, that’s why he moved to HBO
- Golovkin ready for Rubio fight, says Sanchez