Centeno Jr. defeats Leatherwood; Santos smashes Hoskins in 56 seconds
(Photo: Casino/Showtime) INDIO, Calif. (March 9, 2013) – Hugo “The Boss” Centeno Jr. (18-0, 9 KO’s), of Oxnard, Calif., remained undefeated with a one-sided 10-round decision victory over KeAndrae “Lightning” Leatherwood (17-3, 10 KO’s), of Tuscaloosa, Ala., in the main event Friday on ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME® from Fantasy Springs Casino Resort in Indio, Calif.
In the co-feature, promising Puerto Rican power-puncher Braulio “Unstoppable” Santos, of Carolina, P.R., improved to 10-0 with nine knockouts with a spectacular 56-second, first-round knockout of Kevin Hoskins (7-2, 5 KO’s), of Los Angeles.
Centeno, an up-and-coming junior middleweight going 10-rounds for the first time, was triumphant by the scores of 100-89, 100-90 and 99-91. There were no knockdowns.
Said ShoBox ringside analyst and boxing historian Steve Farhood afterward, “Centeno clearly won every round and showed that he can be effective whether he’s coming forward or backing up. He’s only 22 and there’s still work to be done in terms of developing more punching power and defending himself without dropping his hands, but he went 10 rounds for the first time and finished impressively for an easy win.”
The 6-foot-1½-inch Centeno, a former amateur standout, was happy with the victory, but unhappy with the way the fight played out.
“I really felt I could have done a lot more, but every time I connected with a good shot or started to get something going, he would hold on to me,” he said. “The way he was grabbing hold of me it seemed at times it was more wrestling than boxing. Every time I’d land a good punch, he’d hold, or try and take me down. The worst thing that happened to me was when he got me in a choke hold.
“It was frustrating. Every time I thought I had him, he’d hold, and I definitely felt I was hurting him. In the last round I really wanted to take him out, but he just kept holding me. Overall, I did the best I could under the circumstances.
“I know I have to continue to work in the gym because I want to take it to the next level. I want to continue to step it up a notch in opposition. That I went 10 rounds in this type of fight showed how well prepared I was. My team really had me in great condition and I thank them for that.”
Santos, a featherweight, demolished Hoskins with a double left hook to the body and to the chin.
“Santos’ knockout was spectacular,” Farhood said. “His form in throwing the double left hook that ended the fight was perfect. For a fighter who hadn’t previously received any kind of TV exposure to make the kind of splash he did guarantees a return to the airwaves.”
Santos, 23, was surprised the match ended so abruptly. “I certainly didn’t expect it to end this fast,” he said. “I was doing my work.”
Hoskins had spent the last two days, Santos says, trying to intimidate him. “He tried to get in my face during the weigh-in, talking all kinds of stuff to me,’” said Santos, who was a member of the Puerto Rican National team for two years before turning pro in February 2011. “But I didn’t let it get to me. I didn’t care. It’s what happens in the ring that counts, not what you say or do before.
“There’s no extra pleasure beating him like I did. I was just doing my job. I am very, very happy, though, and ready to do it again. I just fought two weeks ago. With tonight’s fast fight, I’ll be ready to go in another two weeks.”
Barry Tompkins called the ShoBox action from ringside with Farhood and former World Champion Raul Marquez serving as the expert analysts.
The executive producer of ShoBox is Gordon Hall with Richard Gaughan producing and Rick Phillips directing.
Friday’s event was presented by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona with Santos vs. Hoskins being presented in association with Miguel Cotto Promotions. The doubleheader will re-air the first time this week as follows:
Tuesday, March 12, at 10 p.m. ET/PT SHOWTIME EXTREME
The twinbill will be available ON DEMAND beginning today, Saturday, March 9.