By James Slater: James “Lights Out” Toney has been somewhat quiet as of late; the 44-year-old living legend not having fought since his April 2012 stoppage win over Bobby Gunn. Aside from calling out British heavyweight giant Tyson Fury late last year (a fight that failed to materialize and perhaps would not be sanctioned in the U.K anyway), Toney has made no headlines.
But now, the word is the former middleweight, super-middleweight and cruiserweight world champ could be facing another unbeaten big man in a fight this spring. Australian man mountain, Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne has been quoted in an article on Boxing News Magazine’s web site as saying a fight between he and Toney is “80 to 90-percent going to happen.” Continue reading
By Marc Livitz – Call it a set of brass ones or just impenetrable will.
Maybe it’s a bit of both; or worse yet, it could be the incessant voices in either ear of one Saul “Canelo” Alvarez which led him to draw an indelible line in the pugilistic dirt. The admissions last week from Canelo’s side of the negotiating table ultimately meant that he’d be removing his name, likeness and participation from the highly anticipated (maybe that’s a bit of a stretch) fight card which was (and still is) set to take place in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 4.
Capitalism, free will, best interests, or perhaps a case of borderline Narcissism? Allow us to take a quick look at what has transpired.
Exclusive interview by Adam Santarossa: Billy Dib returned to Australia days ago light on luggage after losing his world title and a pint or two short of blood following the ten staples that were needed for a cut to the back of his head and the fourteen stitches that were needed to seal the wound above his right eye.
I spoke with the former IBF Featherweight World Champion in an exclusive interview just days after his defeat and Dib says it’s only physical wounds he carries after his split decision point’s defeat to Evgeny Gradovich.
“The wounds that are healing are the actual wounds that I suffered in the fight. I suffered a few cuts on the eye and two cuts on the head that I’m recovering from. But other than that everything is good. My health is good and in due time I’ll be back in the ring getting ready for the next one. Continue reading
by James Harrison: Kendall Holt announced his plans to move up to 147 pounds via twitter stating, “Already planning an April/May return to the ring at 47, no more helping my opponents out by killing myself to make weight.
The decision comes after taking a beating in his 8th round TKO loss at the hands of Lamont Peterson. The fight was stopped after referee Tony Weeks felt Holt was unable to intelligently defend himself. Holt was repeatedly floored by Peterson in what many consider a last effort to redeem himself as a top contender. Some expected retirement talks for Holt after the loss.
At the post-fight press conference Holt struggled to find answers for his performance as he considered his future in boxing. He stated “I had a great training camp…My mind was clear…My body just wasn’t responding.” He also offered “Retirement is creeping in my mind.” Full of mixed thoughts, Holt also explained how he struggled to make weight. He said that he hadn’t eaten in three days. Continue reading
By Prince Dornu-Leiku: The countdown is almost over and the much awaited bout in Ghana featuring Richard Commey against Bilal Mohammed will go ahead on Friday despite the postponement of the main bill they were anticipating to fight on.
The two Ghanaian boxers who have been training very hard for this rumble meet for the IBF Continental Africa Lightweight Crown this Friday, March 8 in Accra amid the expected presence of IBF Africa President, Onesmo Ngowi on the fight night now christened ‘moment of truth’ barely 48 hours after the country’s independence day celebrations.
Hitherto scheduled to be an undercard of Fresh King Entertainment’s promotion of former world champion, Joseph King Kong Agbeko’s IBO Bantamweight title fight against Luis Melendez of Colombia, the Commey-Bilal showdown has to be re-organised by Michael Amoo-Bediako Sr’s UK based Streetwise Management following the postponement of Agbeko’s fight to March 22. Continue reading
By Daniel Mole – Steven Pearce believes his boxing career is back on track after lifting the Midlands Area Welterweight Title on Friday evening.
The Stourbridge fighter (now 7-1), who took the championship bout at just four days notice, stopped Derby’s Luke Gallear in the fifth round of a bruising battle at Burton Town Hall. Continue reading
by Robert Jackson: Adrien Broner’s splash unto the scene is seen as refreshing and welcoming to some, and just more of the same (Mayweatheresque) to others. In any case Broner has made an impact as he inches higher and higher up the P4P ladder. Neglecting his lackluster performance against Daniel Ponce De Leon, the 23 year old Broner has trailblazed a path through the 130lb and 135lb divisions culminating in a dominating 8 round destruction of Antonio DeMarco relieving him of his 135lb strap.
The P4P ladder has seen its share of comer’s and goer’s with long time P4P staple Manny Pacquiao dropping off of his #1 or #2 (depending on who you talk to) perch after being KO’d and put to sleep by Juan Manuel Marquez in their 4th battle, last December. Top 10, 175lber Chad Dawson has also dropped from hieghts of P4P status with his TKO loss to Andre Ward who like Broner is also inching his way up to the TOP. Continue reading
by Paul Strauss: Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. got hit right between the eyes with a suspension (9 mo) and hefty fine ($900K). He’s just now coming out of his stupor, and coming to the realization that, “Hey, that’s a hell of a lot of money, and I don’t want to pay it. I’m not even sure I can pay it!”
So, what’s a poor pug like JCC jr to do? JCC jr told them he was sorry and that it was just a little majiuana. What’s the big deal? Well, he was reminded about his previous transgression, but he quickly brushed that aside as nothing more than an innocent attempt at trying to make weight.
Again, Chavez says, “What’s the big deal?” Well, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) wasn’t convinced, and proved to be unsympathetic. They used the full weight of their authority to send a wake up call to this mellowed out youngster, who is used to getting his way. Continue reading
By Daniel Mole – Derby’s Luke Gallear insists his Midlands Area Welterweight Title dream isn’t over despite losing to Stourbridge’s Steven Pearce on Friday.
The 28 year-old from Chaddesden (now 4-5-2) showed real heart but was stopped in the fifth round of an absorbing contest at Burton Town Hall. Continue reading
by Paul Strauss: When did take downs (ala MMA) slip into boxing contests? Boxing is supposed to be the sweet science confined to footwork, punching, blocking, and slipping punches and numerous other refinements. An occasional clinch is permissable, but when done in excess, penalties are imposed. But, “take downs” are strictly “verboten”. If a fighter wants to engage in such tactics, he is encouraged to take up a different sport such as martial arts or MMA.
Last night at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, The Joint in Las Vegas, NV, Richard Abril 18-3-1 (8 KOs) was subjected to at least two successful take downs and multiple head butts on the part of Sharif “The Lion” Bogere 23-1-0 (15 KOs) Abril’s upright body was mauled by The lunging Lion and tossed down to the canvas. It’s probably doing MMA a disservice by comparing what happened in last night’s contest to MMA. No, what happened last night was just plain ugly. Abril was forced to do his best to ward off the flaying swings, head butts, attempted headlocks, and hip tosses engaged in by Bogere, which lacked the grace or nobility of a lion. Continue reading
George Groves has withdrawn from the Wembley Arena show promoted by Frank Warren on Saturday 16th March.
Groves was due to challenge for the Vacant European Super-Middleweight title against Mohamed Ali Ndiaye that Mr. Warren won the purse bid for on January 11th. Continue reading
It may not have been an artistic success, but WBA Lightweight World Champion Richar “El Tigre” Abril will take it.
“I am very happy to get the win, but I’m not happy at all with the way the fight went,” said Abril after retaining his WBA 135-pound title with a unanimous 12-round decision over previously undefeated Sharif “The Lion” Bogere in the main event of Saturday’s SHOWTIME BOXING – Special Edition live on SHOWTIME® from The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
The lanky, Cuban-born Abril (18-3-1, 8 KO’s), of Miami, Fla., won his first title defense by the scores of 116-110 twice and 115-111. Bogere, a Ugandan living in Las Vegas, dropped to 23-1 with 15 knockouts. Continue reading