Boxing news, views and results


Social
Ads by Yahoo
Subscribe via Email

East Side Boxing Version 1.0
You are here:

Ghana’s Maxwell Awuku taunts WBA Interim champ Gamboa

Maxwell Awuku, the world title chasing Ghanaian Super Featherweight has thrown a challenge to the elite class of boxers in his division, declaring a readiness to face any of them in the ring but most notably Awuku wants to face Yuriorkis Gamboa, the Interim WBA Lightweight champion.

Awuku, a veteran of over a decade as a professional boxer having first taken to the ring way back in 2002 and who previously held both WBA Pan-Africa and WBO Africa Junior Lightweight belts believes he has gained enough experience to be able to match the elites in the Super Featherweight division.

“Talk about WBC champion, Takashi Miura, IBF king, Rances Barthelemy or WBO champ, Miguel Angel Garcia and I will tell you I can face any of them and emerge victorious. All I ask for is the opportunity to fight any of them anywhere,” Awuku said in an exclusive interview in Accra. Continue reading

Tyson Fury retracts statements made towards the WBC

Undefeated heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury would like to apologize to the WBC for any offence they may have taken regarding his recent comments.

“I would like to apologize to the WBC for the comments I made and any implications that resulted from them,” Tyson said.

“Through no fault of my own I have been unable to fight since April with fights in September and February being cancelled.

“The entire situation and inactivity has left me extremely frustrated. Continue reading

Juan Carlos Burgos Training Camp Quotes

ORANGE, Calif. (Jan. 15, 2014) – In what might be his toughest challenge to date, super featherweight Juan Carlos Burgos (30-1-2, 20 KOs) aims to capture his first world title against undefeated and current WBO champion Mikey Garcia (33-0, 28 KOs) on Saturday, Jan. 25, from The Theater at Madison Square Garden televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark (9:45 p.m. ET/PT).

“It’s go time for me,” Burgos said. “I had two, tough draws in 2013 that I felt I deservedly won and in order for me to put those experiences behind me, I have to take that title away from Mikey.”

Many in the boxing community believe Burgos defeated Roman Martinez for the WBO title last January. Burgos looked sharp early and appeared to control the tempo from beginning to end, but the judges ultimately signaled the fight a draw. In November, Garcia would later strip Martinez of his belt via an eighth round knockout. Continue reading

Tim Bradley asking for $10 million for Pacquiao fight?

WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley (31-0, 12 KO’s) is reportedly asking for $10 million for his rematch against Manny Pacquiao (55-5-2, 38 KO’s) on April 12th, according to Mydesert.com. If this really true then it makes a lot of sense why the Pacquiao-Bradley fight isn’t a done deal.

$10 million for a fighter like Bradley is an incredible amount given that he’s not proven himself to be a a huge star in the sport. That kind of money goes to guys like Saul “Canelo” Alavarez and Miguel Cotto. In other words, fighters who have proven that they can bring in massive amounts of fans for their fights. I don’t know that Bradley is capable of attracting huge audiences when not matched against guys like Pacquiao or Juan Manuel Marquez. He’s someone that needs help to bring in fans. Continue reading

Mikey Garcia – Juan Carlos Burgos Interview Transcript

Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior lightweight champion and 2013 Fighter of the Year nominee MIKEY GARCIA (33-0, 28 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., and two-time world title challenger and current No. 1 contender JUAN CARLOS BURGOS (30-1-2, 20 KOs), of Tijuana, México, hosted an international Media Conference Call from their respective training camps on Tuesday. Garcia and Burgos are in the final weeks of training before their world title fight collision at The Mecca of Boxing — Madison Square Garden in New York.

The Garcia – Burgos world junior lightweight title fight takes place on Saturday, January 25 and will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark®, beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT. The telecast will open with a 10-round battle between undefeated heavyweight contenders Bryant Jennings and Artur Szpilka. Continue reading

Bernard Hopkins turns 49 today

IBF light heavyweight champion Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins (54-6-2, 32 KO’s) turns 49-years-old today and he faces what could be the toughest part of his career if he backs up his tough talk with action in 2014 and 2015. Hopkins will be facing WBA 175 lb. champion Beibut Shumenov in April or May in a unification match. From there, Hopkins says he wants to fight unification matches against WBO champion Sergey Kovalev and WBC champ Adonis Stevenson.

Whether Hopkins does so is the real question. He’s been talking a lot, and recently he mentioned that he saw Kovalev as an easy fight for him. If Hopkins chooses to use the network squabbles as a reason why he can’t fight Kovalev and Stevenson, it’ll look like he’s ducking those guys in the minds of many boxing fans. Continue reading

Foreman Vs. Cooney – Foreman’s attempt to “make Tyson shiver!”

Exactly 24-years ago today, an unlikely heavyweight comeback was well underway. In fact, on this day, one year shy of a quarter of a century ago, there were two unlikely heavyweight comebacks being observed – and what’s more the two come-backing heavies were about to run right into each other.

Caesars Palace in Atlantic City was the venue, and a forty-something George Foreman faced a thirty-something Gerry Cooney in a fascinating (if much maligned) clash that was dubbed “Two Geezers at Caesars.” That tagline first appeared, I believe, in the late Bert Sugar’s excellent Boxing Illustrated magazine, yet a better tagline might have been “Punchers Collide.” For whatever shortcomings the returning duo that was Foreman and Cooney might have had, hitting incredibly hard was not one of them. The match-up sure caught the interest of the fans – hence the 12, 581 paying fans in attendance and the many more hundreds of thousands who had parted with some pay-per-view dollars to watch the 50-50 affair on TV. Continue reading

Mikey Garcia says he’s willing to fight Yuriorkis Gamboa

WBO super featherweight champion Mikey Garcia (33-0, 28 KO’s) says he’s willing to fight WBA interim lightweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa (23-0, 16 KO’s) in the near future. Garcia wants Gamboa’s promoter 50 Cent to contact his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank to make the fight happen. HBO would definitely like to put that fight on their network, because they expressed interest in that fight in the past.

Instead of getting that fight, HBO will be televising Mikey vs. Juan Carlos Burgos (30-1-2, 20 KO’s) this month on January 25th at Madison Square Garden in New York. Burgos is coming off of two straight 12 round draws against recent Mikey victim Roman Martinez and Yakubu Amidu. Continue reading

Darren Barker retires from boxing

Former IBF middleweight champion Darren Barker (26-2, 16 KO’s) has reportedly retired from boxing following his 2nd round stoppage loss to Felix Sturm last December in Stuttgart, Germany. The 31-year-old Barker suffered a hip injury in the 2nd round, which made impossible for him to fight effectively. With Barker unable to put the full weight on his injured hip, he ended up getting knocked to the canvas twice by two clubbing shots from Sturm before Barker’s corner threw in the towel to have the contest halted.

For Barker, this was his 2nd hip injury and a clear signal that it might be wise for him to hang up the gloves. Barker had a rematch clause in his contract to fight Sturm again, and he likely would have gotten a nice payday out of the fight. However, it’s possible that Barker might have had a tough time making it through a grueling training camp, and more importantly passing a physical to be allowed into the ring to face Sturm for a second time. Continue reading

Adrien Broner shouldn’t have fought Maidana, says Jones Jr.

Roy Jones Jr. thinks it was a big mistake for former WBA welterweight champion Adrien Broner (27-1, 22 KO’s) to have been matched against a puncher like Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 KO’s) last month in their fight on December 14th. Jones Jr. thinks that Broner’s tougher than expected fight against Paulie Malignaggi was a sign that he needed to fight a slightly stronger fighter for his next fight instead of being put in with arguably the hardest puncher in the 147 lb. division in Maidana.

Golden Boy Promotions set up the Broner-Maidana fight, and Jones Jr. thinks that was a mistake. He felt that Broner needed more time for him to slowly grow into becoming a welterweight instead of jumping up to that weight class and quickly being put in the ring with Maidana in a risky right. Continue reading