CARSON, Calif. (June 22, 2014) – Former four-division world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (32-2-1, 18 KOs), of Gilroy, Calif., capped a spectacularly exciting night of ferocious non-stop action where each fight was better than the last with a Fight Of The Year candidate 12-round unanimous decision over Yoshihiro Kamegai (24-2-1, 21 KOs), of Sapporo, Japan, Saturday on SHOWTIME®.
In a collision of two highly-skilled, exciting southpaw featherweights in the co-feature on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING, international amateur standout Vasyl Lomachenko (2-1, 1 KO), of Ukraine, won a hard-fought 12-round majority decision over previously undefeated yet untested Gary Russell Jr. (24-1, 14 KOs), of Capitol Heights, Md., to capture the vacant WBO world 126-pound crown. Continue reading
Former two division world champ Robert Guerrero (32-2-1, 18 KO’s) may have misjudged the talent of his opponent Yoshihiro Kamegai (24-2-1, 21 KO’s) tonight because he took a real beating from the Japanese fighter in winning a 12 round unanimous decision on Golden Boy Promotions’ card at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
Guerrero was hit with a great deal of very, very hard head shots in the fight by the fringe contender Kamegai. As a result of all the punches to the head that Guerrero took, he ended up with a badly swollen eye that was closed from the 9th round on. Continue reading
(Photo Credit: Rich Graessle/Main Events) Night of Knockouts at Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs: Nadjib Mohammedi Earns #1 Slot in the IBF and Karl “Dynamite” Dargan Retains his USBA Atlantic Coast Region Lightweight Title.
In the main event of the evening Nadjib Mohammedi (36-3, 21 KOs*) stopped Anatoliy “The Gladiator” Dudchenko (18-3, 12 KOs) in the seventh round to claim the number one position in the IBF and the chance to challenge Bernard Hopkins for the IBF Light Heavyweight World Championship.
In the early rounds between Dudchenko and Mohammedi, the French boxer came out swinging against his Ukrainian opponent. Mohammedi was chasing down the larger Dudchenko and landing some clean shots. Anatoliy was getting caught in the corners and Mohammedi was taking advantage of the opportunity to have the big man against the ropes. Nadjib was relentless in his attack on Anatoliy. Continue reading
In a gritty performance, former two-time world title challenger Martin Murray (28-1-1, 12 KO’s) grinded out a 12 round unanimous decision tonight over the tough but limited Max Bursak (29-3-1, 12 KO’s) to win the vacant WBC Silver middleweight title at the Casino de Monte Carlo Salle Medecin, Monte Carlo, Monaco.
The victory moves the 31-year-old Murray a little closer to another world title shot, which he hopes will be against WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto in the near future. Murray won on the judges’ cards by the scores 117-112, 119-109, and 119-109. Continue reading
Liverpool’s David Price will not be in the running to fight the winner out of premier heavyweights Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury said promoter Frank Warren.
Price’s promoter Kalle Sauerland had said that it was ‘inevitable’ that Price would face the winner of Chisora and Fury, but Warren has said that won’t happen.
Bitter rivals Chisora and Fury clash in the biggest domestic heavyweight showdown in recent years at the Phones 4 U Arena in Manchester on Saturday 26th July, with the winner securing the WBO number one spot to challenge reigning world champion Wladimir Klitschko. Continue reading
Chad Dawson (31-3, 17 KO’s) is hoping a win tonight against George Blades (23-5, 16 KO’s) will help reignite his stalled career. Dawson and Blades will be squaring off for a 10 round fight at the StubHub Center, in Carson, California, USA.
Dawson hasn’t fought in a year, so his handlers didn’t want to match him too tough given the time off. But once this fight is out of the way, Dawson needs to be pushed up fairly rapidly if he wants to make something happen in the light heavyweight division. Continue reading
Carson, California, USA – Showtime boxing presents another great tripleheader Saturday June 21st from the Stub Hub Center in Carson, California, which has become one of the premiere west coast boxing venues. The fights start live at 10pm eastern and 7pm pacific. Below are the weigh in results and a quick breakdown of the fights (including notable untelevised bouts) for tomorrow’s stacked card. Continue reading
Martin Murray (27-1-1, 12 KO’s) is making no secret to the fact that he wants another world title shot after losing to former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in a fight that Murray feels he should have won.
Murray sees the WBC 160-pound title as belt that should rightfully belong to him, and that’s why he wants to fight the new owner of it Miguel Cotto. Murray believes that the smaller 5’7” Cotto would be vulnerable to his fists, and he wants to prove to the fans that he’s better than him so that he can take the WBC strap and bring it back to the UK.
“I know I could definitely beat Cotto. He didn’t dethrone the same Sergio Martinez that me or Julio Cesar Chavez [Jr] fought,” Murray said to Boxnation.com. “I’d also like Cotto because he’s got the WBC belt that I believe should already be mine. And never forget boxing is also business. That’s where the most money is.” Continue reading
(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) Who will be left behind when Devon Alexander and Jesus Soto Karass meet at the crossroads? Decorated amateurs square off creating a Featherweight (contender) belt holder. Robert “the ghost” Guerrero returns after a 13 month hiatus to face a prospect from Japan. If they were playing night baseball it would be one, two, three strikes their out for the losers of this Saturday night’s Showtime Triple header.
Jesus Soto Karass has bounce back and forth from contender to gatekeeper, yet his performance is consistently worth the price of admission regardless the outcome.
Devon Alexander looks to right the ship after his career capsized the last time out versus Shawn Porter. The former junior welterweight and welterweight champion looks to get back into the picture at the 147 pound division with a win over Soto Karass. Continue reading
Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KO’s) hasn’t given up on his desire to try and get a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. Khan sees himself having a good chance at getting a fight with Mayweather next year in May. Khan took himself out of the running for Mayweather’s September 13th fight due to Ramadan.
Khan plans on fighting in November or December against a still to be determined opponent. It’s going to need to be someone good for him to proclaim that he has earned the fight to fight Mayweather. With 2 losses in his last 5 fights, and no wins over anyone relevant, Khan doesn’t have a good case that he should get a fight against Mayweather. He still needs a live body and not someone pulled out of the graveyard to fight just so that he can get an old scalp with a name attached to it. Continue reading