The weight limit was increased to 155 lbs due to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s team asking for the weight increase. Canelo paid Angulo $100,000 for being a pound over, according to Fightnews. Canelo looked totally drained at 155. With that said, Alfredo Angulo also game in over the limit at 154.5. Canelo needs to think seriously about moving up to middleweight, because draining down to 154 to fight mostly welterweights isn’t going to work too much longer. With Canelo rehydrating to the low 170s, he’s definitely someone that should be fighting in the middleweight division. He should have made the move last year, but by hanging around at 154, Canelo got the fight against Floyd Mayweather last September.
It’s also allowed him to look better than he might actually be by having welterweights – Matthew Hatton, Kermit Cintron, Alfonso Gomez, Shane Mosley and Josesito Lopez – move up to 154 to fight him instead of Canelo fighting actual junior middleweights like Erislandy Lara. Continue reading
By B.J. Garnett: The March 15th WBC heavyweight eliminator bout between Deontay Wilder and Malik Scott is one of the more exciting fights to be made in the last few years. It is considered a step up fight for Wilder and a last chance of sorts for Malik Scott. While Scott more experienced and one of the best pure boxers in the division, his lack of pop is truly a evident and as it was nearly impossible to keep these 250lb guys off you when you can’t get their respect.
With Wilder, pop isn’t a problem. Thirty knock outs in thirty fights will leave no question about the pop but people want to know if he is a one trick pony or will he be able to keep this up against the top competition in the division. Continue reading
So after many many years, we will finally crown a world heavyweight champion not named Klitschko! Vitali, who’s been the WBC title holder since 2008, has stepped down to pursue his politics aspirations (not sure if he’s still happy with his decisions considering what is happening right now in Ukraine but I won’t dive in that subject). We will now get to see Bermane ¨B-Ware¨ Stiverne and Chris ¨The Nightmare¨ Arreola battle it out for the now vacant belt. Continue reading
Amir Khan may have struck out in trying to land a big money fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. this time, but his trainer Virgil Hunter still sees Khan getting the fight with Mayweather in the near future. Hunter has been told by his contacts that Khan will be getting the fight against Mayweather at some point.
That’s probably true, especially if Khan faces Luis Collazo in his next fight on the undercard of Mayweather’s May 3rd fight against Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Collazo has been mentioned all week long as the guy Khan will be fighting next, and not Adrien Broner. Continue reading
WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 7, 2014) – Washington, D.C. is known as a city where history is made. On Saturday, April 19, another historic event will take place in the nation’s capital when IBF Light Heavyweight World Champion Bernard Hopkins faces WBA World Champion Beibut Shumenov in an attempt, at 49-years-old, to become the oldest fighter in boxing history to unify world titles. The DC Armory, the site of several championship boxing matches in the last year, will host the return of the future Hall of Famer to the capital for the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® main event (9 p.m. ET/PT delayed on the West Coast).
In the co-main event, popular undefeated WBO Middleweight World Champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin defends his title for the third time when he meets WBO European titleholder and former interim WBO Junior Middleweight Champion Lukas Konecny. Continue reading
Heavyweight contender Odlanier Solis arrived in Istanbul (Turkey). The 2004 Olympic gold medalist will face US veteran Tony “Tiger” Thompson on March 22nd in Tekirdag. It is the clash of two former Klitschko foes: In March 2011 Solis lost to then WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in Cologne (Germany) due to a knee injury; Thompson had already two shots at Vitali’s younger brother Wladimir in 2008 and 2012 but lost both fights. Continue reading
Luiz Collazo (35-5, 18 KO’s) is a veteran that has had his share of big fights. He was a top contender in the welterweight division and gave Andre Berto and Ricky Hatton tough fights when they were in their prime. Time has passed and Collazo went under the radar because he wasn’t given the benefit of the doubt in those fights that some even say he won. Continue reading
NEW YORK: (March 6, 2014) Former world champion Joshua
“The Grand Master” Clottey will head to Newcastle, Australia on
APRIL 2 to clash with former two time WBA Champion and local favorite Anthony “the man” Mundine in a twelve round junior middleweight clash, it was confirmed today by Joe DeGuardia, Founder and President of Star Boxing. Continue reading
MGM Grand in Las Vegas selected as official site for Mayweather vs. Maidana mega-fight Saturday, May 3 live on Showtime PPV®
LAS VEGAS (March 5, 2014) – MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nev. has won the right to host the Saturday, May 3 mega-fight between 10-time and Five-Division World Champion and current WBC Welterweight World Champion Floyd “Money” Mayweather against Argentine power-puncher and WBA Welterweight World Champion Marcos “El Chino” Maidana.
“We are honored to host another one of Floyd Mayweather’s epic championship fights at MGM Grand,” said Richard Sturm, president of Sports and Entertainment for MGM Resorts International. “The MGM Grand Garden Arena has been Floyd’s home for many years and he always thrills the fans inside the Arena and those watching worldwide.” Continue reading
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (45-0, 26 KO’s) finally made up his mind today about where to stage his May 3rd fight against WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 KO’s). The fight will be staged at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The venue was a real no-brainer due to the absence of a state tax in Nevada. That’s why makes Nevada and other states like Texas and Washington ideal for boxing, because the fighters don’t take a second hit on their taxes after having a huge chunk taken out on the federal taxes.
Having the fight staged in New York instead of Las Vegas would have taken a huge chunk out of Mayweather’s winning, and that obviously is something that he wasn’t too keen on taking place. The only way it would have been worth it for Mayweather to fight at the Barclays Center would be if they sweetened the pot by giving Mayweather extra cash to cover what he’d be losing from the state tax money taken from his purse. Continue reading