New York, NY (7/29/13) – Former light heavyweight and cruiserweight world champion Zsolt Erdei (33-1, 18KO’s) isn’t looking for any easy fights after suffering his first professional defeat in a razor-thin and questionable split decision loss to Denis Grachev in the first leg of the Monte-Carlo Million Dollar Super 4 Tournament. Erdei is instead offering up his services to super middleweight kingpin and ESPN.com’s pound-for-pound number two-ranked fighter in the world, Andre Ward.
Ward, who is coming off a shoulder injury and extensive rehab, hasn’t fought since scoring a 10th-round TKO over Chad Dawson in September of last year. Erdei says he has no problem in moving down to super middleweight and would jump at the opportunity. Continue reading
At the beautiful Salle d’ Etoile in Monaco, San Diego’s Denis Grachev (13-1-1, 9 KOs) of the City Boxing Gym in San Diego, defeated the former two-division World Champion Zsolt Erdei (33-1-0, 18 KOs) to give him his first career loss.
In what was described as “the fight of the night”, Grachev took the 10-round split decision victory to advance on and meet the undefeated Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez in the finals of this $1 million dollar Monte Carlo Super 4 tournament scheduled to take place on July 13.
For Grachev it was yet another tough outing where he had to grind out the victory. The classic boxer, Erdei, was in control early on, worked behind his stiff jab, while Grachev kept pressing forward, swinging hard but missing.
As the fight progressed, the stronger and younger Grachev began to wear his opponent down and when he did, the bout turned in his favor. Being the busier of the two, he soon became the punch stat leader, while Erdei continued to land the cleaner but less frequent blows. Continue reading
The heat rises on Monte-Carlo Million Dollar Super Four: Gennady Golovkin, Zsolt Erdei, Nobuhiro Ishida and Edwin Rodriguez
With just more than a month until the “Monte-Carlo Million Dollar Super Four” boxing tournament in Monaco, the organisers have been swamped for ticket requests and information on the mega-event.
“I’ve been in this business a long time and I’ve never known anything like it,” said Rodney Berman, chief executive of Golden Gloves, which is promoting the tournament.
“All the major fighters, among them Gennady Golovkin, Nobuhiro Ishida and Edwin Rodriguez, are bringing out supporters while Zsolt Erdei has asked for a special block booking at the venue for his Hungarian supporters.”
Golden Gloves, in partnership with the Monte-Carlo SBM Group, is planning week-long festivities leading up to the fights. Continue reading
New York, NY / Monaco / Johannesburg (February 1, 2013) – Africa’s promotional giant Golden Gloves has partnered with the Monte-Carlo SBM Group to announce the “Monte-Carlo Million Dollar Super Four”, a four-man boxing spectacular.
The elimination event features Edwin Rodriguez (22-0, 15 KOs), Zsolt Erdei (33-0, 18 KOs), Denis Grachev (12-1-1, 8 KOs) and Ezequiel Osvaldo Maderna (19-0, 13 KOs).
Co-headlining this mammoth triple-header on March 30, which will pit Rodriguez against Maderna and Zsolt versus Grachev in the opener, is one of the biggest stars in world boxing today.
Undefeated WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (25-0, 22 KOs) fresh off his sensational seventh-round destruction of Gabriel Rosado at Madison Square Garden, will defend his title against dangerous Japanese contender Nobuhiro Ishida (24-8, 9 KOs). The Golovkin-Ishida bout will be promoted in association with K2 Promotions, while the Rodriguez-Maderna and Erdei-Grachev matchups will be promoted in association with DiBella Entertainment. Continue reading
New York, NY (9/5/2012) – Former two-division world champion Zsolt Erdei has been forced to withdraw from his much-anticipated September 29th light heavyweight matchup against Isaac Chilemba at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods after suffering two broken ribs in training. The bout was scheduled to open up the HBO “Boxing After Dark” telecast, which is being headlined by top-rated super middleweight contender Edwin Rodriguez (21-0, 14KO’s) defending his USBA championship against undefeated prospect Jason Escalera (13-0-1, 12KO’s).
“I can’t express enough how disappointed I am,” said Erdei. “I wanted this fight so badly. To be honest I was so upset when this happened that I thought I would retire, but after speaking with my family and friends I have decided that I will be back. Fighting is my life and I am going to be coming back soon as possible.”
Erdei was in great shape preparing for Chilemba and was getting ready to travel to the U.S. to finish up his training camp when he suffered the injury during sparring. Erdei was hit with a body shot in an awkward spot causing the ribs to break. X-rays of the break can be seen below: Continue reading