Boxing news, views and results


Ads by Yahoo

Sergey Rabchenko

Sergey Rabchenko: “This time I’ll break Vitu”

SERGEY RABCHENKO has no intention of leaving his rematch with Cedric Vitu in the hands of the judges.

Their first encounter, which came on the undercard of Ricky Hatton’s comeback clash with Vyacheslav Senchenko last year, ended with Rabchenko winning by a split decision.

This time, though, the Belarusian banger says they’ll be no room for debate as he intends on retaining his European light-middleweight title by scoring his 19th career stoppage.

“I’m not happy with the way I boxed Vitu last time and I won’t be making the same mistakes again. Continue reading

Hatton Promotions To Stage Rabchenko-Vitu Rematch

HATTON PROMOTIONS have won the purse bids to stage Sergey Rabchenko’s European light-middleweight title defence against official challenger Cedric Vitu.

Rabchenko, who is also ranked as the WBC’s number one contender, beat the tough Frenchman by split decision on the undercard of trainer Ricky Hatton’s comeback fight against Vyacheslav Senchenko in Manchester last November.

But he’ll be looking to win more decisively this time and press towards a world title opportunity. Continue reading

Sergey Rabchenko, Zhanat Zhakiyanov continue to roll

rabchenko3773Unbeaten reigning EBU and WBC Silver light-middleweight champion Sergey Rabchenko stopped experienced and tough Georgian Gari Abadjian in the third round of a scheduled ten in Minsk last night (July 16).

With Ricky Hatton in his corner, Sergey looked very sharp and did not give any chances to his opponent, who had previously gone the distance with the like of Valery Brazhnik, Ruben Varon, Mehdi Bouadla and Sofian Cherfioui.

Following Ruben Varon’s surprise inside the distance defeat to Rafael Chiruta at the weekend, Sergey now finds himself without an official challenger again.

The EBU should nominate a new official opponent shortly, but after the decision of Emmanuelle Della Rosa to pull out of the position and the “accident” of Varon, it seems that there are not much people willing to challenge the Belarusian puncher. Continue reading

SERGEY CANNOT WAIT TO WOW HOME FANS

SERGEY RABCHENKO cannot wait to box in front of his home city fans again.

The reigning European and WBC Silver light-middleweight champion stars in Minsk, Belarus for the first time in almost two years this Tuesday (July 16) when he faces Gari Abajian at the Moulin Rouge Club. Continue reading

Sergey Rabchenko Has Europe’s Best On The Run

rabchenko3773SERGEY RABCHENKO believes he’s got the continent’s best light-middleweights on the run.

The unbeaten Belarusian puncher, who has won 17 of his 23 fights by knockout, was due to defend his European and WBC silver crowns against Emanuele Della Rosa.

The Italian, however, decided to withdraw from this week’s purse bids at the eleventh hour.

Spain’s experienced Ruben Varon has been put forward as a replacement by the EBU, but it means another month of waiting around for negotiations to be completed for Rabchenko.

“It is disappointing. I was truly hoping to box against Della Rosa as he is rated number four by the WBC and it was a meaningful fight,” a dejected Sergey said. Continue reading

Sergey Rabchenko looking for world title shot

Rabchenko with RickyHATTON PROMOTIONS’s international matchmaker Philippe Fondu believes Sergey Rabchenko’s European light-middleweight title defence against Emanuele Della Rosa will provide the perfect springboard to a world title shot.

Rabchenko is ranked as the number one contender to Saul Alvarez’s WBC crown, while Italy’s Della Rosa occupies the same sanctioning body’s number four spot.

The European Boxing Union (EBU) has called for purse bids to be opened on Tuesday June 18 and Hatton Promotions, if successful in the process, hope to get Rabchenko home advantage.

Due to both boxers having such high rankings, Fondu feels victory for his man will pave the way for a shot on the world stage. Continue reading

Sergey Rabchenko’s victory gets the Royal seal of approval

MDR2079Sergey Rabchenko’s performance in Monaco on Saturday night received a Royal seal of approval.

The undefeated European and WBC silver light-middleweight wiped out Adriano Nicchi inside two rounds in front of a clearly impressed Prince Albert II at the wonderful Salle des Etoiles in Monte Carlo.

And manager Philippe Fondu believes the Belarusian sensation, who is trained by Ricky Hatton, will soon be wowing the great and the good in many other parts of the world.

“I am absolutely convinced that under Ricky’s guidance, Sergey Rabchenko is on his way to fame and glory,” Fondu said.

“Sergey didn’t give any chance to Nicchi and knocked him out cold in the second. It certainly impressed Prince Albert II and I know many more will be thrilled when they see his power and accuracy.” Continue reading