Boxing news, views and results



Saul “Canelo” Alvarez

Mayweather Sr: Pacquiao can’t beat the big fighters that Floyd Jr’s facing

Trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr still thinks 35-year-old WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao would be a really easy fight for his son WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr if the two of them meet up down the road in 2015 or perhaps 2016.

Floyd Sr believes that Pacquiao would lose to the big guys that Mayweather has been fighting.

Floyd Sr doesn’t mention the names of the bigger guys that he thinks would beat Pacquiao, but obviously he’s talking about Marcos Maidana, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Miguel Cotto. Continue reading

Martirosyan wants Canelo fight

#4 WBO, #8 IBF Vanes Martirosyan (35-1-1, 21 KOs) is hoping to get a fight against former WBA/WBC light middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in the near future following Martirosyan’s 10 round unanimous decision win over contender Willie Nelson last Saturday night on Showtime from the Foxwoods Resort, in Mashantucket, Connecticut, USA.

Martirosyan, 28, wore Nelson down and punished him with hard shots in the 2nd half of the fight. It was a tough fight for Martirosyan because he took a lot of hard shots, and he ended up with a badly bruised face in winning by the scores of 97-93, 97-93 and 96-94. Continue reading

Cotto-Canelo will come close to 2 million PPV buys, says De La Hoya

Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions has high hopes for the proposed pay-per-view fight next year between Golden Boy’s flagship fighter former WBA/WBC junior middleweight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) and WBC 160lb champ Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) on HBO. De La Hoya is projecting that this fight will bring in close to 2 million pay-per-view buys.

This is a huge number when you look at the fact that the recent pay-per-view fights for both guys have been around 300,000. De La Hoya is assuming that when you get Cotto and Canelo together, it’ll bring a much bigger number than when they’re facing other opposition. Continue reading

Canelo to fight 37-year-old Joshua Clottey next on December 6th

Chris Mannix of Sports illustrated is reporting that Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya has confirmed that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) will be fighting 37-year-old former IBF 147lb champion Joshua Clottey (38-4, 22 KOs) next on December 6th at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. This is obviously disappointing news for hardcore boxing fans with some knowledge of the sport because Clottey hasn’t been a factor since 2010 when he was beaten soundly by Manny Pacquiao.

Recently, De La Hoya dangled James Kirkland’s name as a potential opponent for Canelo’s December 6th fight. You now have to wonder whether De La Hoya did this in order to get Clottey to come in at a cheaper price for the Canelo fight. Why else mention Kirkland’s name if the guy that Canelo and De La Hoya really wanted is the 37-year-old Clottey? Continue reading

De La Hoya: Canelo wants to be second to nobody, that’s why he moved to HBO

Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya says that one of the reasons why the 24-year-old former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez moved to HBO was because he didn’t want to be second to anybody in fighting on Showtime. With Canelo’s situation in fighting on Showtime, he was badly overshadowed by the more popular and much more accomplished Floyd Mayweather Jr.

That situation wasn’t going to go away until Mayweather finished out his contract with Showtime, because he was simply a more talented fighter than the red-haired Canelo. That fact was borne out when the two fighters faced each other last year in September and Mayweather made Canelo look bad in beating him by a 12 round unanimous decision. Continue reading

De La Hoya: Canelo wants to be the face of boxing

Former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has a lot of people with HBO and Golden Boy Promotions excited about his potential in the sport after he recently signed a 3-year, 3 fight deal with HBO this week. HBO Sports president Ken Hershman believes that he’s got a fighter who will be a huge success for his network with his big fights.

Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya believes that Canelo will become boxing. In other words, Canelo will rise up to the biggest star in the sport. Continue reading

Canelo: Mayweather ran from Maidana the entire night

Former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wasn’t too impressed with WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr’s recent win over Marcos Maidana earlier this month on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

While some boxing fans feel that Mayweather did an excellent job of neutralizing Maidana’s power by using movement and tactical clinching to stop the Argentinian from hammering him with his big shots, Canelo felt that all Mayweather did was run and he didn’t take any risks by standing in the pocket to slug with the stronger fighter. Continue reading

Canelo Alvarez Signs Major Agreement with HBO Sports

Golden Boy Promotions Founder Oscar de la Hoya, HBO Sports President Ken Hershman, and superstar boxer Canelo Álvarez today announced a major new agreement to showcase the fan-favorite fighter’s matches on HBO Sports.

“For all of my career, I have wanted to fight on HBO for one main reason–I believe it will allow more of my fans to see me in action,” said Álvarez (44-1-1, 31KOs). “Today marks a huge milestone for me, and I look forward to a long and successful partnership with HBO.”

Álvarez, a light-middleweight knockout artist known for his tremendous punching power, made his pro debut in 2005 at 15-years-old and quickly became one of the most popular prize fighters in the sport. His exciting fighting style and reputation for taking on all comers has captured the attention of fans all around the world. Continue reading

Canelo back at HBO; next fight likely Joshua Clottey on December 6th

Golden Boy Promotions biggest star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is meeting with HBO President of Sports Ken Hershman and Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya today to sign a new contract that will return the red-haired Canelo to HBO for an unspecified amount of fights. Canelo was previous with HBO before leaving for Showtime for his last 5 fights.

With Canelo coming back to HBO, it brings them a big star that can potentially take over for Manny Pacquiao when he eventually walks away from the sport or gets too old to bring in the PPV numbers like he used to.

Along with Canelo’s signing with HBO to be announced today, Canelo’s December 6th fight against Joshua Clottey is expected to be announced as well. The Canelo-Clottey fight will be taking place at the Alamadome in San Antonio, Texas. It’s not a great fight, to be sure, but it gives Canelo a sure thing win so that he can move forward afterwards and face WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto in their expected catch-weight fight at 155 pounds next year in May on Cinco de Mayo. Continue reading

Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?

Before former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s last two fights against Alfredo Angulo and Erislandy Lara, he was seen by many boxing fans as the guy who would take over for the aging Floyd Mayweather Jr to become the sport’s next huge money-making pay-per-view attraction.

It didn’t matter that Canelo couldn’t speak English and that he looked too heavy for the weight division he was fighting in; fans still saw him as the guy who would take the baton from Mayweather and bring in huge PPV numbers each time he fought. But now after the disappointing PPV stats that Canelo brought in for his last two fights against Angulo and Lara, it’s now looking like Canelo will be more of a replacement of Miguel Cotto in terms of PPV stats than Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao. Continue reading

1 3 4 5 6 7 31