Austrian APB Welterweight Marcos Nader: “There is no offer similar to APB in the boxing world today”
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 12, 2014 – A wonderfully talented squad of welterweight boxers will make up the AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) 69kg category with multiple champions, former Olympians and well-established professionals confirmed to take part. Continue reading
October 26 will be a first for Marcos Nader (17-0-1, 2 KOs). On that date, the Austrian middleweight will have his premiere title defense. Back in April, the 23-year-old secured the EU Championship with a win over Roberto Santos. In Oldenburg, Germany he will once again lock horns with a Spaniard when he meets Luis Crespo (9-5-1, 4 KOs) inside the ring.
Photo: FAB Fotos –Marcos Nader has done it. With a win over Roberto Santos at the Multiversum Schwechat near Vienna, Austria, he is the first ever EU Champion of his home country. The 23-year-old middleweight showed a classy performance in front of 1,800 enthusiastic boxing fans and was awarded the decision by scores of 116-112, 116-112 and 115-113 against the defending titleholder from Spain. His record now stands at 17 wins out of 18 professional fights, with the lone draw resulting from his first outing against Santos last November.
“I was off to a quick start and was in control, but had to get through some difficulties towards the end of the fight,” said Nader right after the bout. “I still haven’t realised what I have done and may need some time until I can believe it.”
The fight was nearly a carbon copy of the first one with the local hero being more active. Nader showed some fine combinations early on. 31-year-old Santos looked like as if he counted on his opponent to tire out. The championship rounds seemed to give him right, but Nader proved to be a warrior and fought through fatigue, rightfully claiming his first professional title.
Tensions are high. Only three days to go before it gets serious at the Multiversum Schwechat, Austria. Spaniard Roberto Santos (18-6-3, 10 KOs) takes on hometown favorite Marcos Nader (16-0-1, 2 KOs) for a second time, after having fought out a draw back in November at the very same venue. Both men want to settle the score once and for all and prove that they are better than the other. Moreover, both agree that a trilogy will not be needed.
When asked if there would be another fight, if the championship bout should again end in a tie, Nader replied: “That won’t happen. I will do everything possible to bring that belt to Vienna. I know that I have been training well which gives me confidence.” Otto Ramin, the German coach of the Austrian fighter added: “During preparation our focus was on minimizing the weaknesses and build on his strengths. That gives us great believe.” Continue reading
Marcos Nader (16-0-1, 2 KOs) can hardly await April 13. This Saturday, he is going to face Roberto Santos (18-6-3, 10 KOs) in a hotly anticipated rematch for the Spaniard’s EU Middleweight Crown. Back in November of last year, their first clash ended in a draw. This time, Nader wants to prove that he is the better man inside the squared circle.
On Tuesday, the Austrian hopeful held an open workout before the eyes of the media and fans at the BOUNCE Box-Gym in Vienna, Austria. In the process, he displayed his fast hand speed in a training session with his coach Otto Ramin. “I’m in perfect shape as my preparation was as good as never before. I want to bring the EU belt to Austria”, said the confident 23-year-old afterwards.
The defending champion Roberto Santos was not in attendance for today’s open workout but will arrive in Austria for tomorrow’s press conference, which will be held at 11.00 am at the Montesino Gasometer Entertainment Center in Vienna. Continue reading
(Pictures: FAB Fotos) The tension is rising. After having fought out a draw on November 2 of last year, Roberto Santos (18-6-3, 10 KOs) and hometown favorite Marcos Nader (16-0-1, 2 KOs) are going to meet again on April 13 in a rematch for the Spaniard’s EU Middleweight Championship at the Multiversum Schwechat, Austria. The arena near Vienna was already the venue of their first battle. Now it is time to determine a winner.
“The first one was a pretty close fight,” Nader says. “I have watched it a few times since then and still think that I had done enough to get the decision.” Therefore, the prodigy of coach Otto Ramin is more than happy to get another crack at the EU Title. “We will go in the fight on an even playing field. We both know first-hand about the other’s style of fighting. So it won’t be any easier than the first time out.” Continue reading
Marcos Nader (16-0-1, 2 KOs) is aiming for his biggest career success to date. Originally, the Austrian already had the chance to achieve greatness on November 2 of last year. The 23-year-old took on current EU-Champion Roberto Santos (18-6-3, 10 KOs) at the Multiversum Schwechat, near the airport of Vienna, Austria. After twelve thrilling rounds the fight went to the scorecards and the judges called it a draw (115:114, 114:114 and 114:114).
“I did review the fight on tape a couple of times. It was a close call but I believe that I did enough to win it,” said Nader at the official press conference on Tuesday. And the big hope of Austrian boxing is planning to put on a great show for the rematch on April 13. “I am extremely motivated. We did learn a lot during the first fight and will bring the title to Austria.” Continue reading
The Multiversum Schwechat, Austria will once again host a Team Sauerland fight night on April 13. The Main event of the evening will be the highly anticipated rematch for the EU Middleweight Championship between Roberto Santos (18-6-3, 10 KOs) and Marcos Nader (16-0-1, 2 KOs).
Santos, who won the vacant EU Belt in Bamberg, Germany against Dominik Britsch, already fought the 22-year-old challenger Nader back in November 2012. After twelve exciting rounds, the bout went to the scorecards which resulted in a draw – a decision which didn’t sit well with Nader.
“It was very close,” says the prodigy of coach Otto Ramin. “I did review the tapes a couple of times. I definitely believe that I won the fight.” Therefore the Austrian is more than excited to be awarded another crack at the title. Continue reading
(Picture: Team Sauerland) Tuesday’s press conference ahead of the EU Middleweight Championship on Friday at Multiversum Schwechat, Austria was more about respect than anything else. Before both combatants shared their thoughts with the local press, challenger Marcos Nader (16-0, 2 KOs) presented a Sacher cake to champion Roberto Santos (18-6-2, 10 KOs), who turned 31 today. Surprised by this gesture, the “Tiger of Benidorm” spontaneously hugged his upcoming opponent to thank him.
However, this event was about their bout this upcoming Friday so both got serious. First up to talk was the hometown favourite Marcos Nader: “For sure, Roberto Santos is a big challenge to overcome. But with the so-called ‘Third Fist’ – my fans in support – I am absolutely convinced to crown myself the new EU Middleweight Champion come this Friday.” Furthermore, the 22-year-old thinks to have the right strategy to beat the Spaniard. “Not much time has passed since my last fight – and the same applies to Roberto. We both fought on September 15 and both, me and my coach Otto Ramin, could
watch him fight in Bamberg. There, I saw strengths and weaknesses he has as a fighter. Therefore, I could prepare myself perfectly and will exploit those weaknesses with the right tactics.
But Santos was also an interested onlooker when Nader fought Bertu the night the Spaniard won the EU Middleweight Championship. “He has a pretty good technique which is no surprise to me as he has a vast experience shown by his amateur background.” Continue reading
Last Saturday Marcos Nader (16-0, 2 KOs) won his tune-up fight in convincing fashion. The Austrian came out on top against Damien Bertu from France with a clear unanimous points decision at the Stechert Arena in Bamberg, Germany. Along with the victory now come his first shot for a professional title. Nader challenges the current EU Champion Roberto Santos (18-6-2, 10 KOa) in front of his home crowd at the Multiversum Schwechat, Austria, close the airport of Vienna Continue reading