Boxing news, views and results


Ads by Yahoo

Joey Hernandez

Joey Hernandez keen on new opportunities after parting ways with Don King

Joey HernandezMiami based boxer, Joey Hernandez is expressing delight after parting ways with Don King Promotions and is quickly forging ahead to a brighter future. World title chasing Hernandez, nicknamed Twinkle Fingers last fought in November last year when he impressed in a unanimous decision win over James Winchester but is hopeful his new status can open the way to big deals as he desperately seeks to revive his professional career.

“I’m so excited I got release from Don. I signed something I can’t badmouth him, all I can say is Joey Hernandez is officially released from Don King Promotions and now is a free agent willing to accept any challenges with top guys,” an obviously elated Hernandez told East Side Boxing exclusively. Continue reading

Joey Hernandez vows to knock out Baysangurov in round 7

Joey HernandezBy Prince Dornu-Leiku – Discussions are apparently still ongoing to finalize the deal for the fight but Joey Hernandez alias Twinkle Fingers is already fired up for the match-up against WBO junior middleweight champion Zaurbek Baysangurov in Russia on March 23.

IBO-USBO and WBC US champ, Hernandez is the top rated challenger sought to face 27 year old Baysangurov (28-1, 20KOs) in a headliner of special even at Sport Complex Krylatskoe, Moscow, Russia after initial talks with Spaniard Ruben Varon (40-6, 18KOs) fell through.

EastSideBoxing.com is reliably informed that the deal is almost 80% through for Hernandez or a yet to be named other boxer to fight the Russian with the big decision set for Friday.

At stake will be Baysangurov’s WBO Light Middleweight belt which he won via a unanimous decision against Frenchman Michel Soro on May 12 last year. He successfully defended it courtesy another unanimous points decision over Czech Republic’s Lukas Konelcy last October. Continue reading

Joey Hernandez beats Winchester and demands to fight Canelo, Molina

By Prince Dornu-Leiku – Joey Hernandez claimed a unanimous victory over Jamie Winchester last Friday and immediately declared the big ambition of stepping up for a match-up against WBC 154-pound champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

Southpaw Hernandez, claimed a 97-91, 97-91, 96-92 verdict on the judges’ scorecards to improve his record to 23-1-1 (13 KOs) but the man nicknamed Twinkle Fingers, is calling for bigger names and bigger fights on bigger promotions to showcase his world title credentials.

“I felt I won 9 rounds strong and decisive, and landed a lot of power shots. After reviewing the tapes, I feel I could have thrown the jab a little more and couple more combinations but I showed the type of fighter that I am,” Hernandez told East Side Boxing post fight.

He continued: “I’m happy I got the rounds, I felt great in condition and it really paid to have an 8 week camp with Evangelista Cotto. I landed 176 power shots to the head and body, I take my hat off to him (Winchester) in the balls department. I plan not to balloon up and get back quickly. I know my name is in the mix for top fights, I’m just too charismatic and too exciting to stay off national television.” Continue reading

Fired up Joey Hernandez eyes Canelo fight

By Prince Dornu-Leiku, photo by Tom Casino/SHOWTIME – Even before he takes to the ring on Friday night against James Winchester, WBC / USNBC Light Middleweight titlist Joey Hernandez is eyeing a fight date against WBC 154-pound champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 31KOs).

28 year old Hernadez, 22-1, 13 KOs, on a 7-fight winning streak, has exclusively told East Side Boxing there is no looking back now as he gets closer to realizing his world title dreams and is promising his fans of becoming a world champion by the end of 2013.

He is therefore pledging a masterclass performance Friday night against Winchester (15-5, 5 KOs) at the Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla., Miami, Florida (live at 11 p.m. ET/PT, on SHOWTIME).

“I finally get the opportunity to showcase myself on a national level since my setback 3 years ago which was not me. This fight is the new beginning of my career, I have what boxing needs and will showcase it Friday night,” he said.

The southpaw with Cuban roots and who is trained by Miguel Cotto’s uncle, added: “This fight will be the breakthrough for me. A lot of fans and boxing people around the world will want to see more with what I bring to the ring, I’m excited and ready to go after 9 hard weeks of camp in Puerto Rico with Evangelista Cotto.” Continue reading