Huck vs. Afolabi III
Ola Afolabi (19-2-4, 9 KOs) thinks he is ready to finally claim the WBO Cruiserweight World Championship. On June 8, the man from Great Britain will renew his feud with defending champion Marco Huck (35-2-1, 25 KOs). After previously losing and fighting Huck to a draw, Afolabi believes that now it is his time to shine at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany. For that reason, the 33-year-old has brought himself into tremendous shape due to changes in his preparations leading up to the fight. In the following interview, Afolabi explains what he has done differently this time round and why he is time has come at last.
Ola Afolabi, it has been over a year that you last stepped into a ring. In May 2012, you fought out a draw against your very next opponent Marco Huck. What do you remember of the fight?
Ola Afolabi: It was extremely tough. Towards the end of it, I lost my focus. That allowed him to get back into the bout. My mental preparation ahead of the fight was not ideal and that took its toll back then. Continue reading
(Picture: Karina Hessland) The wait for Marco Huck (35-2-1, 25 KOs) is almost over. On June 8, the current World Boxing Organization (WBO) Cruiserweight Champion will lace-up his gloves for the very first time in his home city of Berlin, Germany after two and a half years on the road. The 28-year-old will take on interim-titlist Ola Afolabi (19-2-4, 9 KOs) at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in his eleventh defense of his belt and the third against the Brit.
“All good things come in threes”, said Huck, who is currently in the hot phase of his preparations. “So far Afolabi hasn’t been able to find a way to beat me and it won’t be any different this time round.” And of course the prodigy of Ulli Wegner wants to prove that he does not just talk the talk but also walks the walk. Hence, he will not be holding back during this week’s training as the sparring has just begun. Continue reading
(Photo: Karina Hessland) It is official! The fight between World Boxing Organization (WBO) Titlist Marco Huck (35-2-1, 25 KOs) and interim champion Ola Afolabi (19-2-4, 9 KOs) is going to be staged on June 8 in Berlin, Germany at the Max-Schmeling-Halle. “I’m glad that we have finally arrived at this point. I will be fighting in my backyard,” said an excited Huck ahead of the highly anticipated championship clash.
The first time the pair have met inside the ring was back in December of 2009 in Ludwigsburg, Germany. Back then, the prodigy of Coach Ulli Wegner won a hard fought battle after twelve rounds by unanimous decision with scores of 115-113, 115-113 and 116-112 to his name. After Huck’s brief spell as a heavyweight in a world title fight against WBA King Alexander Povetkin and with Afolabi recapturing the interim title, they met once again on May 5 of last year. Continue reading
A decision has been made! Sauerland Event has been awarded the right to host the hotly anticipated fight Marco Huck vs. Ola Afolabi III. Originally Don King won the purse bid for the WBO Cruiserweight World Championship on February 26 by offering 1.5 Million US-Dollars. However, the 81-year-old wasn’t able to clear the necessary details within a set period of time and couldn’t find a TV-Partner to broadcast the fight. Therefore, the World Boxing Organization handed the right to the second highest bidder, Sauerland Event, who made a bid of 914.000 US-Dollars. Continue reading