Boxing news, views and results


Search

Golovkin vs. Proksa

Golovkin says he’s ready for anyone from Mayweather to Ward?

By Paul Strauss: Gennady G.G.G. Golovkin did a pretty good job Saturday night at the Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Verona, N.Y. trying to establish his worthiness for all comers. Quite often when a fighter boasts he’s ready for the best (in several divisions), his words are dismissed as just so much talk. Fans realize that often a fighter is trying hard to convince himself as much as anyone else.

In Golovkin’s case, Fans might dismiss the apparent bragging as a problem in translation. Maybe English translated to his native Kazakh (or possibly Russian) language back to English got mixed up with the effort. One thing for sure, Golovkin did a number on the previously once defeated Polish southpaw fighter named Grzegorz “Super G” Proksa, who sported twenty-one knockouts of his own to surpass Golovkin’s twenty. Going into Saturday night’s bout, he was viewed as no slouch, but despite that fact, Golovkin managed to knock him stiff.

Just cruising along in the first round, Golovkin still managed to drop Proksa. There was thought by some he might have slipped or stumbled over Golovkin’s feet. Doubt diminished In the second round, when G.G.G. fired off several particularly nice left hooks to the body, which changed the expression on the Polish fighter’s face to something resembling a silent scream. Continue reading

Golovkin annihilates Proksa

VERONA, NY (September 1, 2012)—Gennady Golovkin made a statement to the American boxing fans that he is a forced to be reckoned with as he scored a scintillating fifth round stoppage over Grzegorz Proksa to retain the World Boxing Association (WBA) Middleweight championship at the Turning Stone Casino Resort.

Golovkin dominated the bout from the outset as he dropped Proksa in the opening frame.

Golovkin continued to pummel Proksa by bullying him around the ring. The challenger showed tremendous courage by fighting toe to toe with the heavy handed Golovkin.

Golovkin battered Proksa along the ropes in round four before scoring his second knockdown in the fight. Golovkin ended things with a vicious flurry of punches that sent Proksa down and out and the fight was stopped at 1:11 of round five

Golovkin of Kazakhstan is now 24-0 with twenty-one knockouts. Proksa of Poland is now 28-2. Continue reading

Golovkin with a lot of options for big fights after blasting out Proksa in five

By Rob Smith: WBA World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (24-0, 21 KO’s) is now in a great position to get some big fights whether it be at junior middleweight, middleweight or super middleweight, after Golovkin made easy work in beating #3 WBA Grzegorz Proksa (28-2, 21 KO’s) by a beautiful 5th round knockout on Saturday night at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino in Verona, New York. Before the fight, which was televised on HBO, a lot of casual boxing fans in the U.S didn’t have a clue who Golovkin was, but they can’t say that now after witnessing his impressive three knockdown performance in stopping Proksa.

Golovkin says he’s willing to fight the top names at 154, 160 and 168. This means that Golovkin isn’t limited to just waiting on guys like Sergio Martinez or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to finally face him. He can go after the top guys at 154 like Miguel Cotto and Saul Alvarez, or go after the big names at super middleweight such as Carl Froch, Lucian Bute, Andre Ward and Mikkel Kessler.

It definitely helps that Golovkin has the ability to fight in three divisions at any given time to get the biggest fights available because in this boxing climate today with promoters protecting their fighters from dangerous opposition, it could prove near impossible for Golovkin to get any really important fights if he stays strictly in one division. Golovkin needs to be able to chase down fights in at least three divisions at a time if he wants to become a star in a short period of time. Continue reading

Hearn doesn’t see Golovkin-Proksa fight going the distance

(Photo credit Ed Keenan/K2 Promotions) By Marcus Richarson: Matchroom Sport promoter Barry Hearn, the promoter for Grzegorz Proksa (28-1, 21 KO’s), doesn’t see tomorrow night’s fight between IBO/WBA World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and the 27-year-old Proksa going the full 12 rounds when they meet in this HBO televised fight at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino, Verona, New York, United States.

Hearn said to RingTV “Both have huge knockout percentage. Both have the ability to take men out with single shots, and I think HBO is in for an exciting fight. If it goes the distance, I’ll be surprised.”

It probably won’t go the distance, and Hearn is right about both guys having a ton of power. Both guys can legitimately end the fight with a single shot. However, it’s going to be a little tougher for Proksa because he really only has power in his left hand, and he can’t fight on the inside at all because of his style of fighting. He fights a lot like former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, and like him, Proksa can’t fight well on the inside. He’s kind of lost when in close and mostly just looks to hold. Golovkin has already said that he plans on taking the fight to Proksa on Saturday, to get real close and force him to fight an inside game. Continue reading

Golovkin defends his WBA 160 lb title against Proksa on Saturday

World Boxing Association (WBA) & International Boxing Organization (IBO) Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (23-0, 20 KOs) of Kazakhstan, will make his highly anticipated United States debut when he defends his titles against WBA #3 ranked and European Champion Grzegorz Proksa (28-1, 21 KOs) on Saturday, September 1, 2012 in the main event at Turning Stone Casino in Verno, NY, televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark (9:45 PM ET/PT).

Golovkin of Kazakhstan and now residing in Stuttgart, Germany, was the 2004 Olympic Silver Medalist and had amateur wins over Lucian Bute, Andre Dirrell, Matt Korobov, and Andy Lee. He’s perfect as a professional compiling an astonishing record of 23-0 with twenty coming by way of knockout. He won the WBA Interim Middleweight title with a first round destruction over Milton Nunez (24-4-1, 22 KOs) and captured the full WBA title in his following bout with a third round stoppage over Nilson Tapia (15-3-1, 11 KOs). Golovkin has since made three successful defenses; former world champion Kassim Ouma (27-8-1, 17 KOs); highly regarded contender LaJuan Simon (23-4-2, 12 KOs); and in his last defense on May 12, 2012, he pounded Makoto Fuchigami (19-7, 10 KOs), stopping him in the third round. Golovkin will be making his highly anticipated debut in the United States. Continue reading

Proksa in over his head against Golovkin

By Marcus Richardson: EBU middleweight champion Grzegorz Proksa (28-1, 21 KO’s) is going to find out the hard way the difference between the world level and the European level next month against WBA World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (23-0, 20 KO’s) on September 1st at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Proksa, 27, has done well at the European level during his seven year pro career apart from the one blip on his resume when he was roughed up and beaten by Kerry Hope last March in a 12 round majority decision loss.

Proksa did a good job of avenging the loss to Hope by beating him last month in an 8th round TKO win. However, the fact that Proksa was defeated by a fighter in Hope’s class isn’t a good sign for Proksa now that he’s stepping up against a much better fighter in 30-year-old Golovkin next month. Proksa, 5’8″, really doesn’t have the size to be competing against a powerful middleweight like Golovkin. He’s more of a junior middleweight that’s fighting at middleweight. Continue reading