In a fight much tougher than expected, WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (38-2-1, 27 KOs) had to battle hard to defeat the game fringe contender Mirko Larghetti (21-1, 13 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision tonight to retain his WBO title at the Gerry Weber Stadium, Halle, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. The final judges scores were 116-112, 116-112 and 118-110. The last score was ridiculous. Larghetti dominated most of the fight, and he definitely didn’t deserve to lose by an 118-110 score.
With little time remaining in the 12th, Huck hurt the 31-year-old Larghetti with a big right hand after cornering him. Huck then unloaded a flurry of shots until Larghetti hit the canvas. Larghetti was knocked down after the bell. He was knocked out, but the referee said that he was knocked out after the bell. Continue reading
Heavyweight Denis Boytsov (33-1, 26 KOs) will be back in the ring near the end of the month in a fight against little known Timur Musafarov (6-1, 5 KOs) in a tune-up bout on the same card as Marco Huck vs. Miko Larghetti title fight at the Gerry Weber Stadion in Halle/Westfalen, Germany, according to Fightnews.
The Boytsov-Musafarov fight will be the co-feature bout on the card. That’s kind of fitting because the main event between WBO cruiserweight champion Huck and #12 WBO Larghetti shapes up to be a horrible mismatch, and adding another mismatch between Boytsov and Musafarov seems to fit in well with the main event of the card. Continue reading
Denis Boytsov (33-0, 26 KOs) will finally lace up the gloves for Team Sauerland. On November 23, the powerful heavyweight will premiere for his new team against WBO Asia Pacific Champion Alex Leapai (29-4-3, 24 KOs) at the brose Arena in Bamberg, Germany.
Boytsov (27), currently ranked the number one contender by the WBO, has a good shot to meet the WBA and WBO Super Champion and IBF World Titleholder Wladimir Klitschko in the not too distant future if he gets past world-rated Leapai. However, coach Karsten Roewer hints that a bout against the 34-year-old from Australia will be no walk in the park for his prodigy.
“You just have to take a look at his record and know that it’s going to be a dangerous affair for Denis,” said Roewer. “Leapai might not be the best boxer skill wise. Still, he is explosive and packs a punch. We have to be wary of those facts until the last bell to beat him.” Continue reading
Dereck Chisora will be back in action again next month, just over two months after his stoppage win over the previously unbeaten Malik Scott, and “Del Boy” will look to take away another top level fighter’s perfect record on September 21st as he is set to face Russia’s Denis Boytsov in a bout that will contest the European heavyweight belt.
According to the web site of UK trade paper Boxing News, Chisora-Boytsov will take place on Frank Warren’s show at the Copperbox Arena in London.
“That’s a good show,” Warren said to BN. “[Chisora’s] got to get the European and hopefully he can get himself into a good position. I watched Pulev and Thompson at the weekend. We certainly wouldn’t worry about fighting either of those.” Continue reading
Heavyweight Denis Boytsov is the latest addition to Team Sauerland! Today, the 27-year-old signed a deal to fight under the promotional banner of Sauerland Event until at least the end of 2015. He formerly stepped into the ring for the by now bankrupt Universum Box-Promotion.
“After we found out that Denis was officially a free agent, we immediately tried to sign him,” said Chris Meyer, managing director of Sauerland Event. “Promotions all over the world tried hard to get his signature but in the end he decided to join us, which makes us very proud.”
Having started his boxing career in the amateurs, Boytsov already showed his potential back then, winning 115 out of 130 fights. At the age of 18, Boytsov made the transition over to the paid ranks where he has won all of his 33 bouts to date, having stopped 26 of his opponents. Continue reading
The battle between the British Tyson Fury (19-0-0 (14)) and the unbeaten heavyweight Denis Boytsov (31-0-0 (25)) will not take place. The CEO of UNIVERSUM is really disappointed: “It’s really a shame because it would have been a great fight. Two undefeated heavyweight hopes in a direct duel. Unfortunately Denis is not in the shape to contest such an duel now. The bout could be placed in 2013″, says Kluch. The CEO would necessarily realize the bout, but of course, he has to act in the interests of the athlete and paying attention to his situation. Therefore the bout is off.
Oquendo in good shape for Vazquez Jr. fight; Chakhkiev vs. Valori, Boytsov vs. Airech on 10/12 – News
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO- Super bantamweight contender Jonathan “Polvo” Oquendo showed today his good shape during a hard training for his fight against Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. in “The War”, to be held on October 6 at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation, in association with All Star Boxing, Top Rank and Promociones Zanfer to be broadcast on “Pay Per View”. Continue reading