Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions has high hopes for the proposed pay-per-view fight next year between Golden Boy’s flagship fighter former WBA/WBC junior middleweight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) and WBC 160lb champ Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 KOs) on HBO. De La Hoya is projecting that this fight will bring in close to 2 million pay-per-view buys.
This is a huge number when you look at the fact that the recent pay-per-view fights for both guys have been around 300,000. De La Hoya is assuming that when you get Cotto and Canelo together, it’ll bring a much bigger number than when they’re facing other opposition. Continue reading
Chris Mannix of Sports illustrated is reporting that Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya has confirmed that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (44-1-1, 31 KOs) will be fighting 37-year-old former IBF 147lb champion Joshua Clottey (38-4, 22 KOs) next on December 6th at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. This is obviously disappointing news for hardcore boxing fans with some knowledge of the sport because Clottey hasn’t been a factor since 2010 when he was beaten soundly by Manny Pacquiao.
Recently, De La Hoya dangled James Kirkland’s name as a potential opponent for Canelo’s December 6th fight. You now have to wonder whether De La Hoya did this in order to get Clottey to come in at a cheaper price for the Canelo fight. Why else mention Kirkland’s name if the guy that Canelo and De La Hoya really wanted is the 37-year-old Clottey? Continue reading
Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya says that one of the reasons why the 24-year-old former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez moved to HBO was because he didn’t want to be second to anybody in fighting on Showtime. With Canelo’s situation in fighting on Showtime, he was badly overshadowed by the more popular and much more accomplished Floyd Mayweather Jr.
That situation wasn’t going to go away until Mayweather finished out his contract with Showtime, because he was simply a more talented fighter than the red-haired Canelo. That fact was borne out when the two fighters faced each other last year in September and Mayweather made Canelo look bad in beating him by a 12 round unanimous decision. Continue reading
While many boxing fans believe that Manny Pacquiao presents the biggest risk to the unbeaten record of Floyd Mayweather Jr, Paulie Malignaggi is under the belief that Pacquiao would be an easy fight for Mayweather at this stage in Pacquiao’s career. Malignaggi doesn’t say why he believes that but it could have something to do with how poor Pacquiao looked in his last fight against a quality fighter in Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012.
Pacquiao looked terrible in that fight before getting knocked out in the 6th round. Since then, Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum has eased him back in terms of competition by putting him in with Brandon Rios and Tim Bradley, and Pacquiao was able to resume winning again. Continue reading
WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao has responded to WBA/WBA welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr’s latest tweet by calling him an “uneducated person” after Mayweather had said that Pacquiao is desperate and that his PPV numbers are a joke.
“I’m not angry at him,” Pacquiao said to gmanetwork.com. “I still feel sorry for him, because he acts like an uneducated person. It’s pitiful to me and I pray for him.”
Pacquiao actually got the ball rolling in taking a shot at Mayweather first last week in Tweeting the following remark: “Floyd Mayweather’s testimony on All Access authenticity tells me everything I need to know about his desire to fight me.” Continue reading
Two-time Russian Olympian Artur Beterbiev (6-0, 6 KOs) completely dismantled former IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-3, 19 KOs) on Saturday night in knocking him down 4 times en route to stopping him in the 2nd round at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada. Cloud, 32, was down 3 times in the 1st round, and 1 time in the 2nd round. The fight was stopped by referee Michael Griffin at 0:38 of the 2nd. Continue reading
WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr waited two days before he unloaded on WBO Manny Pacquiao with both barrels on twitter this morning in calling him broke and desperate and in need of a payday fight against him. Mayweather also took a shot at Pacquiao’s sagging PPV numbers, which haven’t hit 1 million buys since his 6th round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012.
“Miss Pac Man is broke and desperate for a pay day. Your Pay-Per-View numbers are a joke,” Mayweather said.
Ouch, that hurt. Mayweather hitting Pacquiao where it hurts in taking a shot at his financial situation and his high interest in a fight against him. Mayweather sees Pacquiao’s sudden interest in fighting him as a sign that he’s in need of money to help his finances. Continue reading
WBO featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (2-1, 1 KOs) thinks that WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs) will have a really tough time trying to catch up to WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (47-0, 26 KOs) to land his power shots if Mayweather moves around the ring like he did against Marcos Maidana earlier this month in their rematch on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mayweather used movement for 12 rounds to elude Maidana’s fierce attacks, and while Maidana did an excellent job of cutting off the ring, he wasn’t quick enough to catch Mayweather enough to be competitive. Continue reading
Former WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wasn’t too impressed with WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr’s recent win over Marcos Maidana earlier this month on September 13th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
While some boxing fans feel that Mayweather did an excellent job of neutralizing Maidana’s power by using movement and tactical clinching to stop the Argentinian from hammering him with his big shots, Canelo felt that all Mayweather did was run and he didn’t take any risks by standing in the pocket to slug with the stronger fighter. Continue reading
Strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza has reportedly signed a 2-year contract with WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (47-0, 26 KOs) that should in theory take Mayweather all the way to retirement. Ariza had helped Mayweather stretches during one of his workouts in getting ready for his rematch against Marcos Maidana.
Ariza continued to be around the Mayweather gym, making many boxing fans feel that it was just a matter of time before Mayweather eventually signed him up as his strength and conditioning coach.
“I signed an official contract for two years to serve as Floyd’s strength and conditioning coach,” Ariza said via the Manilastandardtoday.com. Continue reading