(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) Trainer Virgil Hunter isn’t too happy with the way that referee Tony Weeks halted the fight last Saturday night in the 10th round in the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KO’s) vs. Alfredo Angulo (22-4, 18 KO’s) fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Weeks didn’t give Angulo much of a chance in the round before stopping the fight, and that didn’t sit too well with Hunter, who believed that his fighter Angulo was coming on at the time of the stoppage in the 10th. Continue reading
The weight limit was increased to 155 lbs due to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s team asking for the weight increase. Canelo paid Angulo $100,000 for being a pound over, according to Fightnews. Canelo looked totally drained at 155. With that said, Alfredo Angulo also game in over the limit at 154.5. Canelo needs to think seriously about moving up to middleweight, because draining down to 154 to fight mostly welterweights isn’t going to work too much longer. With Canelo rehydrating to the low 170s, he’s definitely someone that should be fighting in the middleweight division. He should have made the move last year, but by hanging around at 154, Canelo got the fight against Floyd Mayweather last September.
It’s also allowed him to look better than he might actually be by having welterweights – Matthew Hatton, Kermit Cintron, Alfonso Gomez, Shane Mosley and Josesito Lopez – move up to 154 to fight him instead of Canelo fighting actual junior middleweights like Erislandy Lara. Continue reading
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (45-0, 26 KO’s) finally made up his mind today about where to stage his May 3rd fight against WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 KO’s). The fight will be staged at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The venue was a real no-brainer due to the absence of a state tax in Nevada. That’s why makes Nevada and other states like Texas and Washington ideal for boxing, because the fighters don’t take a second hit on their taxes after having a huge chunk taken out on the federal taxes.
Having the fight staged in New York instead of Las Vegas would have taken a huge chunk out of Mayweather’s winning, and that obviously is something that he wasn’t too keen on taking place. The only way it would have been worth it for Mayweather to fight at the Barclays Center would be if they sweetened the pot by giving Mayweather extra cash to cover what he’d be losing from the state tax money taken from his purse. Continue reading
Adrien Broner says he’s ready to thrash Amir Khan if the two of them wind up facing each other on May 3rd on Floyd Mayweather Jr’s undercard. It’s still unclear whether the Khan-Broner fight will take place, because Showtime vice president Stephen Espinoza doesn’t see it as a fight that can take place due to Khan and Broner moving in different directions in terms of their weight classes. Broner is moving down to 140, and Khan up to 147.
For the fight to take place, it may require that the two face each other at a catch-weight. It might also require Mayweather to do some convincing to Khan to take fight. Mayweather already offered Khan the opportunity to fight him if he takes the fight with Broner and beats him, but Khan is no longer taking Mayweather for his word after getting left high and dry after winning the poll on his website. Continue reading
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is offering Amir Khan a future chance to fight him if he agrees to fight Adrien Broner on his May 3rd fight card, and if he Khan can actually beat Broner. This another big hoop that Mayweather is asking Khan to jump through in order to get a fight against him, and Khan has no reason to believe that Mayweather will fulfill his promise to give him a fight after he failed to fight him after Khan won his poll on his website Mayweather Promotions. Khan won the poll, but he was left high and dry after Mayweather changed his mind and went with WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana for his next fight. Continue reading
WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns (36-3-1, 11 KO’s) gave it his best shot tonight, but it wasn’t good enough to turn back challenger Terence Crawford (23-0, 16 KO’s), who defeated him by a 12 round unanimous decision to capture his WBO 135 lb title at the Scottish Exhibition Centre, in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom. The judges scores were 115-112, 115-112 and 117-111. The 117-111 score was more indicative to what happened in the ring tonight.
The 115-112 scores were wishful thinking scores, because there’s no way this fight was that close. The Scottish crowd was absolutely silent at the end of the fight even before the scores were read. They knew that Burns had lost and they just stood there watching without saying a word.
Crawford hurt Burns at least 2, possibly 3 times in the fight with big shots that sent him retreating to the ropes in the 4th and 5th rounds. Crawford landed a lot of hard head shots in those rounds, and pretty much all of the rounds of the fight. Burns did a good job of covering up, but he couldn’t block everything that was coming his way. Continue reading
In what you would have to interpret as a negative sign, former WBA/WBC light middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’s March 8th fight against Alfredo Angulo (22-3, 18 KO’s) still hasn’t sold out the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada despite having been on sale for quite some time. As you can see, there are still 2 thousand tickets remaining for the fight with a little less than 2 weeks to go before the bout. Considering that this fight is going to be sold on Showtime pay-per-view as well, this could mean that fight fans won’t be interested in purchasing it. Continue reading
We could be seeing the end of WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns’ time as a world champion when he defends his WBO 135 lb strap against his No.1 challenger American Terence Crawford (22-0, 16 KO’s) at the Scottish Exhibition Centre, in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom. While Burns has talked about having come up what he feels is the perfect plan to beat the 26-year-old Crawford, it just doesn’t seem all that likely that those plans will pan out for the 30-year-old Scotland born Burns.
Crawford has every advantage that you can think of in this fight against Burns, and the only thing that Burns has going for him is hometown advantage. Fighting at home seemed to save Burns from losing his last fight against Raymundo Beltran last September, as Burns was dominated thoroughly from start to finish in that fight but was still given a 12 round draw for his efforts. However, it’s highly unlikely that this fight will result in another controversial decision. Continue reading
It’s finally a done deal; WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-2-2, 28 KO’s) will be defending his title against 33-year-old former three division world champion Miguel Cotto (38-4, 31 KO’s) on June 7th at Madison Square Garden in New York. The Cotto vs. Martinez is projected by some to be the biggest fight of 2014. I’m not sure that it’ll be the biggest fight of the year, but it’ll definitely be a top five fight as long as they put a decent undercard with it. I’m not holding my breath at that happening. Continue reading
Heavyweight Tyson Fury (22-0, 16 KO’s) isn’t worried in the least about the new and improved Dereck Chisora (20-4, 13 KO’s) now that he’s shed 15-20 lbs of fat and is fighting at a leaner and meaner weight for him. Chisora and Fury are heading towards a Summer clash in the UK, which will likely be a WBO heavyweight eliminator bout. Fury feels that he’s going to dominate Chisora just like he did three years ago when they fought in 2011. Fury won the fight by a lopsided 12 round decision over a much fatter 260 lb. Chisora.
Chisora and Fury fought on the same card last night at the Copper Box Arena in London, UK. A heavy-looking Fury dispatched Joey Abell in the 4th round, whereas Chisora battled to a 12 round unanimous over Kevin Johnson. Neither of them looked anywhere near the class of IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko in the skills department. Continue reading