Boxing news, views and results


Search
You are here:

ES Boxing

Cleverly has to settle for Uzelkov after Froch, Bellew, Shumenov and Hopkins fights failed to materialize

By Marcus Richardson: WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly (24-0, 11 KO’s) is having to settle for a fight against #9 WBO Vyacheslav Uzelkov (27-2, 16 KO’s) on October 27th instead of much bigger fights against Carl Froch, Bernard Hopkins, Tony Bellew and Beibut Shumenov. Cleverly’s promoter Frank Warren attempted to line up a fight between Cleverly and each of those fighters but they either showed no interest in facing him or they backed out.

Warren said to thesun.co.uk “A huge purse was put to Froch to move up a weight division — which he turned down — and Bellew rejected the offer of a rematch. It’s proved frustrating. We had Hopkins lined up and then he pulled out, while Shumenov didn’t want to come over.”

Cleverly and the 33-year-old Uzelkov will be meeting up at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom. It’ll be a home fight more or less for the 25-year-old Cleverly, although he probably won’t need the cheering from his fans in order to get past Uzelkov. All it’ll take is a good chin to hold up under Uzelkov’s occasional big right hand shots and a steady workrate to beat him down. Continue reading

Khan expected to make an update on his next opponent this week; will also talk about trainer situation

By Marcus Richardson: Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) says he’ll be giving an update this week about his next fight in December, and will talk also about his search for a new trainer to possibly replace his existing one Freddie Roach. The rumors are that Khan will be fighting unbeaten light welterweight contender Joan Guzman next on December 15th. It’s perhaps not the best choice because HBO might not be interested in taking a risk in putting on a fight between Khan and the 36-year-old Guzman when Guzman has failed three times in the past to make weight in important fights.

Khan said on his twitter page “Updates on my career, opponents and coaches, in next few days. Stay tuned.”

The 25-year-old Khan revealed yesterday that he’s actively looking to get a new trainer and he’s still in the looking stage of the process. Khan has to choose wisely because he’s lost his last two fights and another defeat at this time would be a crushing blow to his career. He’s made excuses for his defeats to Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia, but the excuses will wear thin if he takes yet another loss. Continue reading

Dawson will have to go to war to beat Andre Ward on Saturday in Oakland, CA

By Michael Collins: Chad Dawson (31-1, 17 KO’s) is going to have to abandon his safety first style of fighting and let his hands go to beat WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward (25-0, 13 KO’s) on Saturday night in their HBO televised fight at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California. It’s not going to work for the 30-year-old Dawson unless he goes to war with Ward and is willing to fight him toe-to-toe at times.

The big 6’2″ southpaw Dawson has gotten away from what made him such a spectacular fighter earlier in his career when he was able to throw combinations and fight hard without losing concentration. Dawson seems have changed from the fighter that totally dominated Tomasz Adamek in 2007 and has become the equivalent of an automobile that’s not firing on all cylinders. Dawson will fight well for a round and then disappear for two to three rounds at a time like his mind is not focused.

Dawson will be looking to box Ward from the outside to keep him from crowding him to try and force it into a rough inside war. Dawson did a good job of preventing Bernard Hopkins from going inside last April, but Hopkins didn’t really put in a strong effort to force Dawson to brawl in close. Hopkins wasted a lot of time circling the ring, conserving energy rather than taking the fight to Dawson to try and war him down. Continue reading

Pacquiao-Marquez 95 percent finished, say Beltran

By Rob Smith: Juan Manuel Marquez’s promoter Fernando Beltran is saying that a fight between Marquez and Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KO’s) is almost complete with a reported “95%’ of it being done for December 8th. Whether they can get the last 5% remains up in the air but it’s good sign if you’re interested in seeing Pacquiao fight the 39-year-old Marquez yet again after having fought three times in the past already.

Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum seems to want to put this fight together after another one of their big money options Miguel Cotto bailed out of the Pacquiao lottery in order to fight WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout.

In an interview at the Record.com.mx, Beltran said “The only reason I can not guarantee the fight is because there isn’t a contract of Pacquiao before us. However, in the coming hours we will. Verbally we can announce that on December 8th, we will make this fight…It is 95% finished.” Continue reading

Trout: I don’t want to hear any excuses after I beat Cotto

By Dwight Chittenden: Unbeaten WBA World light middleweight champion Austin Trout (25-0, 14 KO’s) doesn’t want to hear a bunch of complaining or excuse-making from former WBA Super World light middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30 KO’s) after he beats him on December 1st in their fight at Madison Square Garden in New York, New York. Trout, 26, plans on beating the 31-year-old Cotto in a convincing enough manner to where Cotto’s boxing fans and fans in general won’t be able to question his victory.

Trout said to RingTV “I can shock everybody. It’s the perfect scenario for me. I love this fight, man. He [Cotto] just had one where he stopped Antonio Margarito, and he just had the decision loss to Floyd. So I don’t want to hear any excuses when I beat Migel Cotto, you know what I mean?”

Trout, 26, is going to have to fight a lot better than he did last June in defeating junior middleweight contender Delvin Rodriguez by a 12 round unanimous decision. The judges didn’t give Rodriguez much credit for giving Trout a lot of problems in this fight. I personally had the scores a lot closer than the ones that were handed down. But worrisome thing about the fight was that the southpaw Trout was hit by a lot lead right hands and jabs from Rodriguez and if Trout fights the same way against Cotto, he’s going to get beaten up.

Cotto hits too hard wight his right hand, and his jab is too powerful for Trout to be getting hit all night long with those shots. Cotto also has an excellent left hook that will cause Trout problems. Continue reading

Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora: “Golovkin wouldn’t be able to hit me”

After making his sensational American network debut on HBO this past Saturday night, WBA Middleweight title holder Gennady Golovkin (24-0, 21 KOs) has become undoubtedly one of the most avoided fighters in the talent enriched 160 pound weight division.

While most of the top fighters in the division wouldn’t dare issue a challenge to the heavy handed killer from Kazakhstan, former World Boxing Council (WBC) Junior Middleweight Champion Sergio Mora (23-3-2, 7 KOs) is boldly daring the undefeated World Boxing Association (WBA) Champ.

“Gennady is one of the most proficient fighters in boxing and he currently possesses what I believe I deserve; the overwhelming respect of the boxing world,” claims the defensively proficient former champion. “I not only wish to congratulate Golovkin for a brilliant performance on HBO, but I also would also like to issue a challenge to fight for his WBA Middleweight title.” Continue reading

The Middleweight Landscape

By Anthony Loy: Forget arguing about the p4p rankings, the middleweight division is currently the home of fierce debate regarding who will sit atop the mountain in the very near future.

The heir to the throne appears to be one Gennady Golovkin, a punch perfect destruction of hard-hitting but limited Grzegorz Proksa on Saturday night has put the hype train into full speed but whilst he undoubtedly has the tools and an extensive amateur background (in which he holds wins over Andre Dirrell and Lucian Bute) I can’t help but feel people are getting carried away with his exciting but totally expected win over the one-dimensional Proksa, a man who was outpointed not long ago by the unheralded Kerry Hope.

The man currently reigning supreme in what is fast turning into the most fascinating division in Boxing Sergio Martinez takes on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr for the WBC belt on September 15th in what promises to be one of the fights of the year, Chavez who has a very impressive 46-0-1 record will provide Martinez with a stern test and will hope to impose his size advantage when the two meet, whatever the outcome of this fight and I believe it will be a close points win for Chavez I think its likely it will be Chavez’s last in the 160lb division.

Daniel Geale and Felix Sturm provided and excellent fight and a nightmare for the judges on Saturday night with Geale earning a split-decision win away from home in Germany, a place not known for giving visiting fighters a fair shake (just ask Matthew Macklin). Continue reading

Sergio Martinez: My fight with Chavez Jr. will end early, he’ll be on his knees in front of me

By Rob Smith: Former WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (49-2-2, 28 KO’s) says he can already seen the outcome of his September 15th fight against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-0-1, 32 KO’s) and he doesn’t see the fight ending well for the 26-year-old son of boxing legend Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Martinez plans on getting the hulking 180 pound Chavez Jr. out of there early to make a nice clean win without any controversy.

Martinez said “I go over it in my mind and can see it. I can see him [Chavez Jr] on his knees right in front of me…I know the fight will end early. I know I’m going to knock him out.”

With his power and speed, Martinez is going to make it difficult for Chavez Jr. to do the same kinds of things he’s been doing in his recent bouts against more stationary fighters. Chavez Jr. has really had his way against guys with little ability to move like Andy Lee, Peter Manfredo Jr and Marco Antonio Rubio. Lee isn’t that bad when it comes to getting around the ring, but in his case he was fighting Chavez Jr. in a small ring in El Paso, and he compounded it by choosing to slug with him instead of trying staying on the outside. Continue reading

Joselito Collado vs. Jerry Belmontes on Saturday

NEWARK, NJ – Jamaica, Queens junior lightweight boxer Joselito Collado, 13-1, 3 KOs, fights the biggest bout of his career when he faces undefeated Texan Jerry Belmontes, 16-0, 5 KOs, at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, on September 8th. The 8-round contest is the key preliminary bout on a big card promoted by Main Events, with a heavyweight triple header in the spotlight.

Former two-time world champion Tomasz “Goral” Adamek, 46-2, 28 KOs, meets Travis “Freight Train” Walker, 39-7-1, 31 KOs, in the 12-round main event, but it is the Collado-Belmontes bout that might just be the most competitive match of the show. Both fighters are considered hot boxing prospects with promising futures, so their anticipated clash is expected to determine which of them is ready to step up to the next level.

“I think he’s a good fighter,” Collado said. “Good amateur fighter. But honestly, I don’t think as a professional, he fought anybody as hard as me. So I think I’m going to give him a hell of a fight.” Continue reading

Geale to fight 38-year-old Soliman next, not Golovkin

By Michael Collins: With his 12 round split decision victory over WBA Super World middleweight champion Felix Sturm last Saturday night, IBF/WBA middleweight champion Daniel Geale (28-1, 15 KO’s) will be bypassing an World Boxing Association ordered title defense against WBA World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin to fight 38-year-old Sam Soliman (42-11, 17 KO’s) in December.

The move will likely result in the WBA stripping Geale of his newly won WBA 160 pound title unless Geale’s management can get permission to bypass the defense against Golovkin. The WBA ordered that the winner of the Geale-Sturm fight has to defend the title against the mandatory by December 31st. If Geale chooses to fight Soliman, who clearly is the lesser threat compared to the hard hitting Golovkin, the WBA may choose to strip Geale of his title.

Geale probably would be better off vacating the WBA title because he doesn’t match up well with Golovkin at all. This wouldn’t be a fight where Geale could out-jab and win rounds against Golovkin by landing weak right hands all night long like he did in beating Sturm. That wouldn’t against Golovki, who would be teeing off on Geale each time he catch up to him and we’d likely see a knockout by the 6th round. In that case, it’s smart that Geale is looking to take on Soliman instead because Geale can win that fight, but he can’t beat Golovkin. That would be a terrible mismatch. Continue reading