By Michael Collins: If Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) gets past lightweight Carlos Molina (17-0, 7 KO’s) on Saturday night, his promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions says he wants to match Khan against Josesito Lopez (30-5, 18 KO’s) in a fight that would take place in April. Continue reading
By Michael Collins: Carlos Molina (17-0, 7 KO’s) thinks Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) is just talking nonsense when he says he’s going to be fighting under control in a more conservative non-risk taking manner from now on due to the changes he’s made with his fighting style from what he’s learned from new trainer Virgil Hunter. Molina isn’t buying it. He believes Khan will almost immediately revert back to his old style of fighting as soon as he starts getting hit on Saturday when Molina and Khan fight on Showtime at the Sport Arena in Los Angeles, California.
Molina said this as quoted by thesun.co.uk “Khan is going to come out and be defensive in the first part of the round but once I put on the pressure and start landing my punches, he is going to go back to the same old mold. It will be the same old Amir Khan as we’ve seen in his last few fights.”
I tend to agree with Molina on this. It’s really hard for a fighter to change his fighting style when he’s been fighting in the same manner his entire amateur and pro career like Khan has. Continue reading
By Rob Smith: Freddie Roach doesn’t want Manny Pacquiao to take any chances by coming back too early from his knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez. Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, is mentioned wanting him to be back in the ring in April in either a rematch against Marquez or a fight with Brandon Rios. However, Roach thinks April is far too soon for Pacquiao to be getting back in the ring after the way he was knocked out by Marquez last Saturday night in Las Vegas. Roach thinks Pacquiao would be much better off if he waited until September next year before he gets back in the ring. Continue reading
By Ed Patrick: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is looking to match 41-year-old former three division world champion Shane Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KO’s) against WBA World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KO’s) on April 27th for Malignaggi’s next title defense, according to RingTV.
Schaefer said to RingTV “Paulie Malignaggi…and it might be, if we can get it done, what is being discussed is the return of Sugar Shane Mosley.”
This isn’t the big fight that Malignaggi was hoping to get against Ricky Hatton, but this is probably the best that Malignaggi can get in terms of a well-known opponent that the casual boxing fans are familiar with. Malignaggi obviously wants to keep his World Boxing Association 147 pound title for a little while longer, and that’s not going to happen if they match him against a decent welterweight. Malignaggi almost lost to what was supposed to be a very beatable Pablo Cesar Cano last October. Continue reading
By Rob Smith: Bernard Hopkins came out tonight on the Jim Rome show and gave his thoughts on whether Manny Pacquiao will be the same fighter after being knocked out viciously in the 6th round last Saturday night by Juan Manuel Marquez. Hopkins doesn’t see Pacquiao being the same fighter after that knockout. Pacquiao was unconscious for close to two minutes, face down on the canvas from Marquez’s right hand. Continue reading
By Steve Mabbott: Former three division world champion Miguel Cotto (37-4, 30 KO’s) could be back in the ring on June 8th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, according to RingTV. Cotto, 32, lost his last fight against WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout in a failed attempt to capture his title at Madison Square Garden earlier this month on December 1.
Cotto was beaten pretty badly in this one-sided fight, and the loss removed any hope of Cotto facing WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in a unification bout. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer still didn’t rule out a Cotto-Alvarez fight taking place on May 4th, but then Alvarez came out and said he was no longer really interested in facing Cotto, so this leaves Cotto looking for a fight on June 8th.
Schaefer told RingTV “We’re definitely going to be working with Miguel Cotto on that date [June 8th] as a fighter.” Continue reading
By Jeff Sorby: The fight between IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) and challenger Kell Brook (29-0, 19 KO’s) has been moved from January 19th to March 2nd due to Brook injuring one of his ankles and needing more time for it to heal. The January 19th fight card will still go ahead, but it will be now headlined by WBC interim light welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (32-2, 30 KO’s) defending his title against lightweight Hank Lundy (22-2-1, 11 KO’s) at the Nokia Theater, in Los Angeles, California, USA. Continue reading
Photo: Udo Dreier — By Bill Phanco: WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (35-3, 27 KO’s) isn’t taking any chances that he might get beaten in his first title defense of his newly won World Boxing Organization 168 pound title, so he’s dipped down low in the WBO rankings to find Frances’ Mehdi Bouadla (26-4, 11 KO’s) for a nice easy win this Saturday night at the Arena Nürnberger Versicherung, Nuremberg (Nürnberg), Bayern, Germany. Abraham considers a strong test, and it’s hard to understand what he’s talking about because Bouadla didn’t look good in getting destroyed last year by Mikkel Kessler in a 6th round knockout defeat.
Abraham must have felt like he was in a meat grinder when he tested his skills against the very best in the super middleweight division in the Super Six tournament. Abraham was beaten left and right by almost every fighter he faced, and when the tournament was over Abraham left licking his wounds and was dismissed by a lot of boxing fans as a finished fighter. However, his promoters have rejuvenated him by matching him against a couple of fringe level contenders and then arguably the weakest of the champions Robert Stieglitz, and presto, Abraham’s career has been turned around.
It’s hard to see it that way, though. It just looks like one paper champion has been switched for another, although Abraham still has talent to give a lot of fighter problems on any given day. It’s just that he doesn’t have the size or the talent to beat the really good fighters at super middleweight. Continue reading
By Rob Smith: If you’re a big fan of 5’4” Jorge Arce (61-6-2, 46 KO’s), you might not want to tune in to watch him fight on Showtime this Saturday night against WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (30-1, 19 KO’s) because he’s going to probably get beaten pretty badly in this fight at the Toyota Center, in Houston, Texas, USA. Most boxing experts are picking Donaire to win, and they’re unanimously picking him to win by a knockout. Continue reading
By Michael Collins: Heavyweight prospect Deontay Wilder (25-0, 25 KO’s) takes the next step in his career on Saturday night against a very good heavyweight in unbeaten Kelvin Price (13-0, 6 KO’s) for the Vacant WBC Continental Americas title in a fight televised by Showtime on the undercard of Amir Khan vs. Carlos Molina at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles, California. The late Emanuel Steward was very high on the 6’7” Wilder before Steward passed away, and he saw the 27-year-old as the number #1 heavyweight in the United States, and the heavyweight prospect with the best chance of winning a world title.
That says a lot about Wilder because there are a lot of good young heavyweights out there like David Price and Tyson Fury, and Wilder has been kind of hidden away compared to those press and the hype those guys have received.
Wilder is facing a tall fighter on Saturday in 6’7” Price. Wilder has been accustomed to being the much bigger guy in his fights, but that won’t be the case when he faces Price. He’ll have someone looking him straight in the eye and it’s going to be a real test of Wilder to see how he responds in a fight like this. Continue reading