Boxing news, views and results


Ads by Yahoo
You are here:

ES Boxing

Short Documentary Film “I Beat Mike Tyson” Released

I BEAT MIKE TYSON, a 2012 film festival favorite, will be released as a “staff pick” on the video sharing site Vimeo on Tuesday, January 15. The 13-minute film, which chronicles the story of famed Irish boxer Kevin McBride, will also be available for streaming on the websites ShortoftheWeek.com and IBeatMikeTyson.com.

In 2005, an unknown Irish boxer beat Mike Tyson before hundreds of thousands of people. Then he disappeared. Filmmaker Joshua Z Weinstein rediscovers Kevin McBride raising his children in a gritty Boston suburb. Kevinʼs body is deteriorating, yet he compulsively continues to fight. I BEAT MIKE TYSON is a lyrical film about a fighter at the end of his career, engaging in the Sisyphean task that is his life. Continue reading

Froch vs. Kessler II is on

005 Froch vs KesslerStunning super middleweight blockbuster rematch agreed

Matchroom Sport and Team Sauerland are delighted to announce that Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler will fight in Britain.

The huge super middleweight rematch is the fight of the year in boxing and the two sides are delighted that terms have been agreed on the biggest fight on British soil in many years. Full details on the fight will be announced at a press conference soon, and both fighters have expressed their delight that they will once again lock horns.

“First and foremost, I’m really pleased the fight has finally been arranged,” said Froch. “I feared that Kessler had second thoughts about his promise – but the man has come good on his word. Continue reading

Juan Manuel Marquez to continue fighting

marquez34By Bill Phanco: Former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) has decided to continue fighting after meeting with his wife and children to help him make the decision, according to fightnews.com. Marquez, 39, wasn’t sure whether he should continue his 20-year pro career after knocking his old nemesis Manny Pacquiao out in the 6th round last month in their fourth fight.

But the lure of big money in a fifth fight with Pacquiao proved to be too much for Marquez, and he went with what many boxing fans would agree is the smart choice by continuing to fight at least for the remainder of 2013. Marquez made $3 million guaranteed for the fourth fight with Pacquiao, and he should make considerably more next time around.

Bob Arum of Top Rank is targeting September as the month that he’d like to put Pacquiao and Marquez back together again. However, if they choose September 14th it might hurt the pay per view numbers because Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez are scheduled to be fighting on that date, possibly against each other. It would be a disaster for all if Arum decides to put the Pacquiao-Marquez 5th fight on the same date. Continue reading

Khan considering Senchenko, Ortiz and Lopez for April fight; will be choosing this week

khan4343By Michael Collins: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan says he’ll be making an announcement about his next opponent for April this week. He’s meeting with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer in the UK to pick from one of the following fighters: Victor Ortiz, Josesito Lopez and Vyachaeslav Senchenko.

Khan said to Sky Sports “There are several opponents we’re looking at. A lot of people are talking about Josesito Lopez, Victor Ortiz, Senchenko, the guy that beat Ricky Hatton. There are few names that we have been put there. I’m one of those fighters that will fight anyone. I never said no to an opponent and I never will. Whoever they find for me, we’ll find out in the next couple of days. I have to meet with Richard Schaefer and we’re going to talk about an opponent. So the next couple of days we’re going to announce who I’ll be fighting.”

I don’t care to see Khan fight Josesito Lopez. I’m not that interested in seeing Khan fight a guy that was just destroyed by WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. I don’t care that Lopez beat Victor Ortiz, I still don’t like the idea of Khan fighting someone that was beaten as badly as Lopez was. I’d prefer to see Lopez rebuild his career before fighting someone because it’s just off putting to see Khan get fed a guy coming off of a knockout loss. Continue reading

Adrien Broner, Gavin Rees, Johnathon Banks and Seth Mitchell Media Conference Call Transcript

broner56Oscar de la Hoya Thank you very much. We’re extremely, extremely excited to once again return back to Atlantic City where first and foremost we were able to raise a big amount of money that went towards the Boys and Girls Clubs there in Atlantic City.

In our last outing with Adrien Broner, with Banks, also with Seth Mitchell, so it was an exciting, exciting event and a very successful event in terms of giving back to Atlantic City.

The main event, as you know Adrien Broner vs. Gavin Rees will be at WBC Lightweight World Title fight and we also have the co-main events, which will be a 12 round, NABO and WBC Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship fight, which will feature Johnathon Banks vs. Seth Mitchell. This event is being promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Caesars Atlantic City, Corona and AT&T.

We are very pleased to be televising this event live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 10:00 p.m. eastern time and the tickets are priced relatively cheap, with ringside being at $200, going down to $150 and you can watch this incredible event for only $25. Continue reading

Burns vs. Vazquez, Cleverly vs. Krasniqi, Chisora & Groves vs. Ndiaye on March 16th

Promoter Frank has put together a blockbuster event ‘Rule Britannia’ on Saturday 16th March at Wembley Arena featuring some of the biggest stars in British boxing including Ricky Burns, Nathan Cleverly, George Groves, Dereck Chisora and Liam Walsh, all live and exclusive on the Home of Champions BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546). Continue reading

Gutknecht and Hernandez charging batteries at training camp

P1017623_Eduard_Gutknecht_Yoan_Pablo_HernandezD-day is getting closer. The big fight night at the Max-Schmeling-Halle is only a few weeks away and Eduard Gutknecht (European Light Heavyweight Championship against Juergen Braehmer) and Yoan Pablo Hernandez (IBF World Title fight versus Eric Fields) are planning on holding on to their respective belts. To ensure a positive start to 2013 the two prodigies of coach Ulli Wegner have opted to spent the rest of their preparation time at the Olympic training facilities in Kienbaum near Berlin, Germany.

Light heavyweight Eduard Gutknecht (24-1, 9 KOs) takes on 34-year-old Juergen Braehmer not just to keep his EBU Title but also to win the position as mandatory challenger for the WBO Champion, currently Britain’s Nathan Cleverly. “It is great to be that close to a potential shot at the world championship. I only have to take the next step. I will earn that chance by defeating Juergen Braehmer,” said the orthodox fighter about the all-German affair. However, Gutknecht has to get past the former WBO Champion before he
can start thinking of his next challenge. Continue reading