Boxing news, views and results


Ads by Yahoo
You are here:

ES Boxing

Denis Lebedev vs Guillermo Jones on May 17

Denis Lebedev (25-1, 19 KO’s) will be making his second defense of his WBA belt against 40-year-old WBA Champ in Recess Guillermo Jones (38-3-2, 30 KO’s) on May 17th in Russia.

Lebedev will enter the ring with a 24 – 1 record, while Jones is 38 – 3 – 2 into this one. Both men have KO percentages around 70%. The Russian reigning Champ has never been stopped, however, while Panamanian Jones was KO’d by David Noel 15 years ago. Continue reading

Cello Renda can book an English-title shot in Peterborough next month

Renda has been added to the big show at the Arena on Saturday, May 11 and knows a big fight will be next if he wins. Boxing bosses last week made Renda the mandatory challenger for the English middleweight title held by Danny Butler – and promoter Robert Waterman hopes to bring the big fight to the city in July. Renda said: “This is fantastic news. Continue reading

Boston Marathon Bombing – Micky Ward: Dead Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev Was No Friend of Mine

0419-micky-ward-tamerlan-boston-1by TMZ – Legendary fighter Micky Ward wants to make it clear to the world … he has NO relationship with dead bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev — despite a photo which reportedly shows them arm-in-arm.

Micky’s agent tells TMZ he’s been hammered with calls ever since the 2006 photo was posted on a local Boston news site.

We can’t confirm it’s actually Tamerlan in the photo, but it sure looks like him. Nonetheless, a rep for Micky — whose life was chronicled in “The Fighter” — says, “It was just like any random person who came up to Micky and asked him for a picture.”

The rep adds the former New England Golden Gloves champ had no professional or personal association with Tsarnaev.

As we previously reported … Tsarnaev had high hopes about making the US Olympic boxing team.

By the way, the news site has removed the photo … but won’t say why.

Peter Quillin is Boston Strong

Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) middleweight champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (28-0, 20 KOs) has dedicated his April 27th world title fight to victims of the recent Boston Marathon bombings and their families. Quillin will make his first world title defense on Saturday night, Apr. 27, against challenger Fernando Guerrero (25-1, 19 KOs), live on Showtime Championship Boxing, from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Continue reading

James Toney: “I´m gonna knock his lights out”

479834_10151427814988962_1102338740_nNew boxing promoter Mick Gatto is thrilled to bring out American and Middleweight, Super Middleweight & Cruiserweight and two time Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year, James “Lights Out” Toney to Australia to fight in the main event against Australia’s undefeated Heavyweight boxing champion Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne in Melbourne’s Convention and Exhibition Centre on Sunday 28th April from 2pm.

“Im looking forward to coming to Australia where I’ll be fighting Lucas “The Clown” Browne where im gonna knock his lights out” says Toney.

Toney (74 – 45 by KO – 7 losses, 3 draws) has been a World Boxing Champion in the heavyweight, cruiserweight, middleweight, super cruiserweight, light heavyweight, and super middleweight divisions and is still a force to be reckoned with at 44 years of age. He will be fighting his next battle in the heavyweight division on his first ever fight in Australia. Perth’s Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne, 33, has never been beaten, having won 15 fights including 14 KO’s. Continue reading

Undefeated knockout artist, Miguel “Mikito” Soto returns this Saturday

Miguel Soto Fotos por  Argelis Cruz  Van Haeken     (2)Puerto Rican, Miguel “Mikito” Soto ( 10-0, 10 KO’s ) will be in action this Saturday, April 20 at the Manuel Iguina Coliseum in Arecibo, Puerto Rico.

Soto has been out of action since April 13, 2012, when in the main event defeated experienced Mexican, Leopoldo González by way of knockout at 2 minutes and 16 seconds of the first round in a card held Hatillo, Puerto Rico.

“Although I have not fought for a little more than a year, I’ve been working out and keeping my condition in the gym. I’m Very happy to return, because this is how I earn my living and support my family. Personal issues are over, we are here and will not stop until I reach my goal, “said “Mikito” Soto. Continue reading

Bizier will not fight Devon Alexander on May 18

MONTREAL (April 18, 2013) – Yesterday at noon, the International Boxing Federation (IBF) issued a statement about Groupe Yvon Michel (GYM)-promoted Kevin Bizier being appointed as the new mandatory challenger to IBF world welterweight champion Devon Alexander. Alexander was scheduled to face his mandatory challenger, Kell Brook, of England, May 18 in Atlantic City on Showtime, but Brook was injured during training and had to withdraw. To ensure Bizier’s presence in Atlantic City to fight Alexander, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaeffer also contacted the president of GYM, Yvon Michel, offering a very attractive proposition. Continue reading