Boxing news, views and results


Ads by Yahoo
You are here:

Bill Phanco

Martin Murray beats Domenica Spada, Golovkin next

WBC Silver middleweight champion Martin Murray (29-1-1, 12 KOs) may not have put in an impressive performance tonight in beating #7 WBC Domenico Spada (39-6, 19 KOs) by a 7th round technical decision, but he did earn a potential title shot against WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin with the win. Continue reading

Fury calls out Anthony Joshua

British heavyweight Tyson Fury (22-0, 16 KOs) still hasn’t taken care of Dereck Chisora in their rematch next month and yet Fury already has his eyes set on who he wants to fight next. Fury says he wants to fight undefeated and untested British prospect Anthony Joshua (9-0, 9 KOs) so that he can prove himself against him.

Never mind the fact that a fight between Fury and Joshua would make no sense at this point considering that Joshua isn’t a belt holder, and has never beaten anyone remotely talented. Fury still feels like it’s a fight that he wants. Continue reading

Bradley says Mayweather wouldn’t be the toughest opponent, but still wants to fight him

Welterweight contender Tim Bradley (31-1, 12 KOs) says he’s going to be moving up in weight to 154 to target the top fighters in that weight class. He’s specifically interested in fighting Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Miguel Cotto. Besides those guys, Bradley says he’d like to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr, because he’s already fought Manny Pacquuiao and Juan Manuel Marquez in the past.

Interestingly enough, Bradley doesn’t see Mayweather as being the toughest opponent for him. He doesn’t say who’s tougher, but you’d have to assume he means Pacquiao, Cotto or Canelo. Bradley’s coming off of a 12 round decision loss to Pacquiao in his last fight in April of this year in a one-sided loss. Continue reading

Bradley targeting the winner of Cotto vs. Canelo

Tim Bradley (31-1, 12 KOs) is targeting the winner of the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Miguel Cotto fight next year for who he’d like to have his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank set him up. Gennady Golovkin would like to fight the winner of the Canelo-Cotto fight, but the chances are very good that if Cotto gets past Canelo, boxing fans are going to see Cotto in against Bradley rather than Golovkin.

Cotto’s WBC middleweight title may or may not be on the line for a Bradley fight depending on if Cotto vacates or if the World Boxing Council strips him by then for not facing Golovkin. Last Saturday, Golovkin defeated Marco Antonio Rubio by a 2nd round knockout to become the WBC interim middleweight champion. Continue reading

Guerrero: The Khan fight was never offered to me

British boxing star Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs) will be fighting former two division world champion Devon Alexander (26-2, 14 KOs) on December 13th at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Before the Alexander fight was agreed on, Khan had been saying that Alexander and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero were two of the names that they were looking at for his December fight. However, Guerrero says that the fight against Khan was never even offered to him.

“The [Khan] fight was never offered to me,” Guerrero said on his twitter. Continue reading

Amir Khan faces Devon Alexander on 12/13 on Showtime

Showtime and HBO will have competing boxing shows on December 13th. On Showtime, Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs) faces Devon Alexander (26-2, 14 KOs) in the main event at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. On the same night on HBO, former two division world champion Timothy Bradley will be in action against Diego Chaves.

The good news for boxing fans is neither of them will be on pay-per-view, but it’s still not a great thing unless you’ve got Tivo and can record one of the fight cards while viewing the other. Continue reading

Donaire: I’m not ready to give up my spot to Walters

WBA Super World featherweight champion Nonito Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) says he’s not ready to give up his spot to the little known 28-year-old Nicholas Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) in their fight later on tonight on HBO Championship Boxing from the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The 31-year-old Donaire thinks he’s still got enough in the tank to get past the likes of Walters. However, Donaire has not looked good in his last several bouts, and there are some boxing fans who think that he played injured in his last fight against Simpiwe Vetyeka in order to win a world title in 5 rounds instead of going the full distance. Continue reading

Rubio fails to make weight for Golovkin fight

Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) failed to make weight today at the weigh-in for his big fight on Saturday night against WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs). Rubio tried to get down to the 160 pound limit, but he reached a sticking point at 161.8 pounds and he couldn’t get any lower than that.

Rubio stripped down in a vain attempt to make the weight, but it was clear he wasn’t going to be able to make the weight. By not making weight, Rubio will lose $100,000 of his $450,000 purse for the fight. This obviously was poor planning on Rubio’s part because the warning signs were there a month ago when Rubio weighed in at 174.5 pounds. In contrast, Golovkin weighed just 165 pounds at the time. Continue reading

Macklin hints at retirement if he loses to Heiland

Matthew Macklin (31-5, 20 KOs), ranked #6 by the World Boxing Council, will be in action next month in fighting #4 WBC Jorge Sebastian Heiland (24-4-2, 12 KOs) in a WBC middleweight eliminator bout on 11/15 at the 3Arena, in Dublin, Ireland. Macklin, now 32, is hinting that if he can’t beat the 27-year-old Heiland then that might be it for him in terms of his career.

It’s not known if Macklin would retire, but a loss to Heiland would definitely be a clear sign that Macklin doesn’t have what it takes to be a world champion at 160. It would also make it difficult for him to continue to get world title shots the way he’s been getting over the last three years. Continue reading

David Price: I’ll be looking to take Anthony Joshua’s head off from the shoulders

Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn is interested in matching former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price (18-2, 15 KOs) against his unbeaten heavyweight Anthony Joshua (9-0, 9 KOs) next year in a fight that he believes the British boxing public will be interested in seeing. Judging by the boos from the British fans last Saturday night when Hearn floated that idea to them, it might not be a fight that the fans want to see.

Price was at ringside for Joshua’s 2nd round demolition of 34-year-old Russian journeyman Denis Bakhtov (38-10, 25 KOs) last night at the O2 Arena in London, UK. Price said that if he’s the guy that ends up facing the 6’6” Joshua next year, he’ll be looking to take his head off. Continue reading