Ghana’s Commey fights Hughes in UK Saturday night
By Prince Dornu-Leiku: Ghana Lightweight champion, Richard Oblitey Commey, hopes to further enhance his world title credentials when he makes his second straight appearance at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, London, United Kingdom tomorrow night against British boxer Kris Hughes in an 8-round contest.
The Ghanaian pugilist beat Lithuania’s Simas Volosinas back on July 7 at the same venue in what was his first fight outside Ghana and now returns to face a much stronger test against 24 year old Hughes whose last fight was when losing a bid for the Commonwealth Super Bantamweight title to Carl Frampton.
Derek Wandell, Matchmaker for Commey (12-0, 12KOs), has promised the Ghanaian a date for the WBC International silver Lightweight belt against Tommy Coyle if wins against southpaw Hughes (15-2, 1 KO) who is already scheduled to also fight Bulgarian Yordan Vasilev in October.
“The world title is our target, that’s what we are working towards so any fight that comes up is another opportunity to show the world what Richard can do,” stated Carl Coach Lokko, trainer of Richard Commey ahead of the fight tomorrow night.
- Algieri wants to take Pacquiao’s place
- Bradley: Diego Chaves reminds me of Mayweather Jr
- Amir Khan faces Devon Alexander on 12/13 on Showtime
- THIS FRIDAY! Bradley vs. Chaves/Herrera vs. Benavidez Tix Go On Sale
- Boxer Briefs: Catching Up with Boxing’s Heavy Hitters & Rising Stars—Bryant “By-By” Jennings